Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello!
    I'm stuck in a bit of a rut. I'm one of those people who always likes to be doing and working towards a goal. As I go into year 13 in September I suppose the goal is now university, but I'm just not sure what I should be doing this year in preparation.

I've looked online and read all the "things to do before uni" guides, but the seem more focused on what to do in the few months before you start your course, after you have your offers and such.

I've already completed my personal statement (but of course I am aware it might change before I send out my UCAS in October), I've picked my choices, I've even already chosen which student bank account I'm going to open up! I'm going crazy not having anything to do!

I would love a checklist of what to do this entire year, starting from September. Can anyone help me out?

Thank you! Hillary
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by hillarykeyamo99)
    Hello!
    I'm stuck in a bit of a rut. I'm one of those people who always likes to be doing and working towards a goal. As I go into year 13 in September I suppose the goal is now university, but I'm just not sure what I should be doing this year in preparation.

I've looked online and read all the "things to do before uni" guides, but the seem more focused on what to do in the few months before you start your course, after you have your offers and such.

I've already completed my personal statement (but of course I am aware it might change before I send out my UCAS in October), I've picked my choices, I've even already chosen which student bank account I'm going to open up! I'm going crazy not having anything to do!

I would love a checklist of what to do this entire year, starting from September. Can anyone help me out?

Thank you! Hillary
    Honestly you ve done everything you could just concentrate on getting those grades now.

ReputationRep:
    Work hard and play hard.

Seems easy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Thank you! Hillary
    Read more widely around your chosen subject(s).

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

Thank you! Hillary
    You've done more than most, what unis and for what subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LPauling)
    You've done more than most, what unis and for what subject?
    I'll be applying to Cambridge, LSE, King's, UCL and Kent to do their Law LLB courses.

ReputationRep:
    Some volunteering could be a good experience. Either retail experience which will be useful for getting jobs during/post Uni, or you could volunteer to tutor younger kids/people in your year. (You may even get paid for tutoring - my Higher Chemistry tutor was willing to do it for free, but my parents insisted on paying him.) Plus, tutoring improves your understanding if you can explain something fully.

Also, you have your student life worked out, but what about post-Uni? If you know what career you want, do some research about the realities, any skills you need so you know what to work on in the meantime - also, you may be able to get a student membership to a body of accreditation for your career path. (Though those tend to be Uni level or for those studying professional qualifications). Following these organisations on social media can help to keep you up to date, and can help to find workshops that you can put on your CV.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Get a job and save some money!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ageshallnot)
    Read more widely around your chosen subject(s).
    That's true, I have quite a list of books, I could start locating them and making plans to get them all read. Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stripystockings)
    Some volunteering could be a good experience. Either retail experience which will be useful for getting jobs during/post Uni, or you could volunteer to tutor younger kids/people in your year. (You may even get paid for tutoring - my Higher Chemistry tutor was willing to do it for free, but my parents insisted on paying him.) Plus, tutoring improves your understanding if you can explain something fully.

Also, you have your student life worked out, but what about post-Uni? If you know what career you want, do some research about the realities, any skills you need so you know what to work on in the meantime - also, you may be able to get a student membership to a body of accreditation for your career path. (Though those tend to be Uni level or for those studying professional qualifications). Following these organisations on social media can help to keep you up to date, and can help to find workshops that you can put on your CV.
    wow thank you so much, this has given me lots to do! i already have volunteering and tutoring experience, but more would definitely be beneficial so I'll look into that for this year. Thanks again!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.