The Student Room Group

Made a HUGE mistake

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by jneill
If you decide to transfer out of Cambridge or Durham after Y1 you will have the full choice of any university - not a Clearing rush exercise. And that's what we've been saying about it not affecting SFE etc.

And note it's likely you would be able to transfer to Y2, not have to start from scratch.

Thanks :smile: what I meant was, that it wouldn't be possible to transfer immediately to any other uni after only doing a few weeks at Cambridge. I'd have to wait until the following UCAS cycle.
Original post by Platopus
Thank you! If I'm honest, my heart is saying that Cambridge/Durham is not the place for me. I hope that your experience of Oxford does improve, but I feel that I would have much the same regrets as you.

Then I'd say listen to it- you know yourself better than anyone on here. As everyone has said, you do get an extra year of finance so don't worry too much, stress doesn't make it easier to make important decisions :smile: Do your research into other universities for now, see what happens on results day and if you want talk to teachers/parents do so, but if you think they'll pressure you too much then just call up the universities yourself, maybe with a supportive friend :smile:
Remember, you earned the offer so ultimately its your choice what you do with it, whether it's keeping it or rejecting it! No one else will complete the degree, it'll be on you so don't let someone else push you into something you don't want :redface: The regrets aren't worth it
Good luck!! :h:
Reply 82
Thanks :smile: what I meant was, that it wouldn't be possible to transfer immediately to any other uni after only doing a few weeks at Cambridge. I'd have to wait until the following UCAS cycle.

Yes, that's true - so you would give it a few terms - rather than a few weeks...
I choose two very prestigious unis as my firm and insurance, purely because I somehow felt I should. And my school pressurised me into applying to them. I mean literally, the head of my sixth form went as far as phoning my mum.

Now, I realise that I don't want to go to either. I worked so hard throughout sixth form and I hated it. I can't spend 3 years somewhere where that level of work would be expected from me again. I'd much rather go to a more relaxed uni where I could actually have a social life and not kill myself working every hour of the day.

I'll be upset if my grades are bad on results day, because I will feel that my work all year was for nothing. But, I'm also half wishing for bad grades so I have an excuse not to go to my firm or insurance. I don't think I'd be brave enough to defy everyone's expectations and ask them to release me.

What should I do?

Hmmmpfff

You really should do what makes you happy as its your life and its not got others to try and live theirs through yours. On the one hand I would say go to a more relaxed uni then, but on the other its importnat the decision is correct and not an easy way out because you are anxious.

Your gardes are already in the pipeline. Tbh I would just defer and spend your gap year deciding what you really want. I was going to drop you a line to learn what your plan was and I thought youd already decided.......
Reply 84
Original post by 999tigger
Hmmmpfff

You really should do what makes you happy as its your life and its not got others to try and live theirs through yours. On the one hand I would say go to a more relaxed uni then, but on the other its importnat the decision is correct and not an easy way out because you are anxious.

Your gardes are already in the pipeline. Tbh I would just defer and spend your gap year deciding what you really want. I was going to drop you a line to learn what your plan was and I thought youd already decided.......

Very helpful advice, thank you. I haven't already decided for certain but you're right, I am pretty sure I'm going to take a gap year. Tbh I initially thought I would only take one if I didn't meet my grades, but now it's looking like I may take one even if I do.
Reply 85
Original post by Poooky
Then I'd say listen to it- you know yourself better than anyone on here. As everyone has said, you do get an extra year of finance so don't worry too much, stress doesn't make it easier to make important decisions :smile: Do your research into other universities for now, see what happens on results day and if you want talk to teachers/parents do so, but if you think they'll pressure you too much then just call up the universities yourself, maybe with a supportive friend :smile:
Remember, you earned the offer so ultimately its your choice what you do with it, whether it's keeping it or rejecting it! No one else will complete the degree, it'll be on you so don't let someone else push you into something you don't want :redface: The regrets aren't worth it
Good luck!! :h:

Thanks, I will try not to worry but as you probably know that's easier said than done. I've been researching a few other unis already but will continue to have a look around and check out other options :smile:

Original post by jneill
Yes, that's true - so you would give it a few terms - rather than a few weeks...

By a few terms, I think you mean a whole academic year! Which would be a long time if I was finding it unbearable :frown:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 86
By a few terms, I think you mean a whole academic year! Which would be a long time if I was finding it unbearable :frown:

If you really do find it unbearable you can simply stop. And then re-start elsewhere at Year 1 the following Sept. Not a problem :wink:

That's when the +1 extra year from SFE helps you out.
Reply 87
Original post by jneill
If you really do find it unbearable you can simply stop. And then re-start elsewhere at Year 1 the following Sept. Not a problem :wink:

You're right, I could. It's just that it would feel like I had wasted the intervening year, while if I had simply gone through clearing in the first place I'd have been happily completing my first year at another uni. I guess it would be no different to taking a gap year though, which us one of the options that I'm currently considering.
Reply 88
Original post by Mathemagicien
Just bear in mind that a gap year is very expensive, even if you don't do anything special, since you are losing a year's worth of post-degree earnings. I.e. a year or so after you leave University, you will be tens of thousands of pounds worse off.

If I take a gap year, I will be working full time. So, I will be earning something that I can save and at least getting useful work experience. But yes, I take your point.
You know can have a social life AND go to a prestigious university?
Very helpful advice, thank you. I haven't already decided for certain but you're right, I am pretty sure I'm going to take a gap year. Tbh I initially thought I would only take one if I didn't meet my grades, but now it's looking like I may take one even if I do.

We can chat about it. You havent made a mistake yet.

Imo I think you will cope irrespective of which you decide to do.

My concern would be that you cut off an option becayse you get a bit anxious, whereas a year out will give you time to make decisions and earn money. You can then make the decision at your own pace and when you look back on it you will know it was your decision, which makes it much easier with whatever follows. no regrets.

Dont worry about others expectations, the only ones that really matter are yours about yourself. The reason i think a gap year is more impprtant than ever is because its a £50,000 decision, which you wont get to repeat, so its better to take a little time choosing what you believe is the best place for you.

I know what i would do, but there are still other unis where you cna have a great time and career and which might give you an overall experience that suits you better.
Reply 91
Original post by Terry Tibbs
You know can have a social life AND go to a prestigious university?

Perhaps some people can. Howevever, I am not blessed with that kind of natural intelligence. For me personally to get top grades, I have to work ridiculously hard and have no social life. I would rather not work ridiculously hard and get lower grades. So, I'd prefer to go to a less prestigious uni where there are expectations of students achieving slightly lower grades.
Original post by jneill

Except they still have incurred the debt for that year.
Reply 93
We can chat about it. You havent made a mistake yet.

Imo I think you will cope irrespective of which you decide to do.

My concern would be that you cut off an option becayse you get a bit anxious, whereas a year out will give you time to make decisions and earn money. You can then make the decision at your own pace and when you look back on it you will know it was your decision, which makes it much easier with whatever follows. no regrets.

Dont worry about others expectations, the only ones that really matter are yours about yourself. The reason i think a gap year is more impprtant than ever is because its a £50,000 decision, which you wont get to repeat, so its better to take a little time choosing what you believe is the best place for you.

I know what i would do, but there are still other unis where you cna have a great time and career and which might give you an overall experience that suits you better.

Thank you :smile: Yes, absolutely it's an important decision to get right. While student finance will give me an extra year of fees if I decide to switch after year 1, I'd rather not have that extra 9K of debt to pay off!

I do think you may be correct about the gap year giving me some thinking space. I feel as though I was rushed into choosing unis at a time when I was very busy with work and didn't think carefully enough. Also, I applied so long ago and since then have had time to reassess my priorities.
Reply 94

Just what I noted in my above post haha.
Reply 95

Which they only start to repay when earnings are enough to do so.

Fundamentally, the money side should not be the deciding factor for this decision.
Reply 96
Thank you :smile: Yes, absolutely it's an important decision to get right. While student finance will give me an extra year of fees if I decide to switch after year 1, I'd rather not have that extra 9K of debt to pay off!

I do think you may be correct about the gap year giving me some thinking space. I feel as though I was rushed into choosing unis at a time when I was very busy with work and didn't think carefully enough. Also, I applied so long ago and since then have had time to reassess my priorities.

Full disclosure: it would be £9k plus your maintenance loan (i.e accommodation costs etc). But it just gets added to your SFE account. Yes it will take longer to pay if off, but it doesn't increase the monthly amount you have to repay when you start working. And if you don't repay it all within 30 years the balance is written off.
Original post by jneill
Which they only start to repay when earnings are enough to do so.

Fundamentally, the money side should not be the deciding factor for this decision.

Its still debt they will be expected to pay back at some date in the future. I assume platopus intends to earn over 21k at some stage. I would rather not incur the debt at all tbh and make the decision beforehand as she will be in a posiyion to do. Part of that ofc may be to give one of them a try, but it depends on a number of other factors.

I never said it was the deciding factor, but it is something to be borne in mind.
Reply 98
Perhaps some people can. Howevever, I am not blessed with that kind of natural intelligence. For me personally to get top grades, I have to work ridiculously hard and have no social life. I would rather not work ridiculously hard and get lower grades. So, I'd prefer to go to a less prestigious uni where there are expectations of students achieving slightly lower grades.

You will still have to work pretty hard at Bristol or wherever. And getting a place in Clearing can be problematic for accommodation. Not always, and it depends on the university, but don't assume it's an easy option logistically :wink:

PS. I can't see Philosophy or EngLit in Clearing at Bristol at the moment...
durham isnt that high pressure lmao

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending