Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have decided to take a year off before Uni and my plan has been to find work and earn some money for a year. However, I have found that my options have been narrowed to retail/hospitality and apprenticeships. If I was just working in retail/hospitality for a year it would feel like a waste of time and a lost opportunity to gain meaningful experience that would help to gain employment after Uni. The issue with apprenticeships is that they last longer than a year, so the only way I can gain any meaningful experience is by gaining an apprenticeship, but if I do that I won't be able to go to Uni as most apprenticeships last 18 months.

I'm in dire need of some advice as I've now been offered an apprenticeship and I don't have a clue what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indiemusicboy)
    I have decided to take a year off before Uni and my plan has been to find work and earn some money for a year. However, I have found that my options have been narrowed to retail/hospitality and apprenticeships. If I was just working in retail/hospitality for a year it would feel like a waste of time and a lost opportunity to gain meaningful experience that would help to gain employment after Uni. The issue with apprenticeships is that they last longer than a year, so the only way I can gain any meaningful experience is by gaining an apprenticeship, but if I do that I won't be able to go to Uni as most apprenticeships last 18 months.

I'm in dire need of some advice as I've now been offered an apprenticeship and I don't have a clue what to do.
    Have a look at what the NHS can offer. I was in a similar-ish situation to yourself and I ended up working in Dermatology. I'm now off to uni in September after a year of working.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KaptainCliff)
    Have a look at what the NHS can offer. I was in a similar-ish situation to yourself and I ended up working in Dermatology. I'm now off to uni in September after a year of working.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for the reply and good luck for Uni!! However, I'm not sure how well suited I will be for the NHS as I've applied for Politics at Uni and I did not do any science subjects at A Level.

ReputationRep:

Retail or hospitality isn't necessarily a waste of time. There's lots of valuable skills you can learn that you may think you have in theory, but don't in practice. Interpersonal skills, for example. The ability to suck it up and get on with things, which is invaluable as an adult. If you haven't worked before, or have but jobs never seem to "work out", then spending some time working a retail/hospitality job could be more valuable in the long run than anything else.

Also, as you're doing Politics, why not work part time in a retail/hospitality job, and volunteer for a local party for the experience? Or just try to get an apprenticeship with an MP or some kind of work experience in general.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stripystockings)
    Retail or hospitality isn't necessarily a waste of time. There's lots of valuable skills you can learn that you may think you have in theory, but don't in practice. Interpersonal skills, for example. The ability to suck it up and get on with things, which is invaluable as an adult. If you haven't worked before, or have but jobs never seem to "work out", then spending some time working a retail/hospitality job could be more valuable in the long run than anything else.

Also, as you're doing Politics, why not work part time in a retail/hospitality job, and volunteer for a local party for the experience? Or just try to get an apprenticeship with an MP or some kind of work experience in general.
    Thanks again for your suggestion. I do agree that retail and hospitality do provide invaluable skills and I am seriously considering doing part time work whilst volunteering. Maybe I was naive to assume I could get some kind of basic office job without having to undertake an apprenticeship.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again for your suggestion. I do agree that retail and hospitality do provide invaluable skills and I am seriously considering doing part time work whilst volunteering. Maybe I was naive to assume I could get some kind of basic office job without having to undertake an apprenticeship.
    You definitely don't need an apprenticeship to get an office job, so definitely go for those in the meantime. (You will want to "sell yourself" quite well though - offices seem to have quite high standards.) That said, something customer or people focused could help with the skills you'll be using in Politics, and will be great to talk about in future interviews.

ReputationRep:

As others have said retail/hospitality isn't necessarily a waste of time. When it comes to Politics, MP's often like assistants with a customer service background because they already have experience with dealing with the public, answering enquiries e.c.t

ReputationRep:
    There are many 1 year apprenticeships, but be aware that some companies have it in their contracts that for any training provided, costs must be repaid if you choose to leave shortly after completion.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Apprenticeship zone:

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Zone

All you need to know about higher and degree apprenticeships.

GIGF logo

Meet the apprentices

Read these case studies from real apprentices to hear the truth about what it's like!

GIGF logo

Apprenticeship Vacancies

Find the latest higher and degree apprenticeship opportunities.

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick links:

Unanswered apprenticeships and alternatives to university threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.