The Student Room Group

How to stop being a hypochondriac

Posting in relationships because it's the only section that allow me to post anonymously.
But yeah questions in the title how do I stop being a hypochondriac, any little thing I feel I over react to and usually I end up going to the GP where I'm told everything is fine and I end up feeling really stupid and embarrassed. What do I do??
Oh jeez, I dated someone like this. Seriously, just go to therapy. It's perhaps the best way to start working on your issues and figure out why you do what you do. I mean no disrespect, but it can become a serious problem and have even worse effects on your health (ironically).

Go seek therapy, look up some advice online, but try and reign in your emotions when you *think* there's something wrong.
Accept death, and use your impending demise to inspire you to fill your days and live to the max while you still can.
Original post by Anonymous
Posting in relationships because it's the only section that allow me to post anonymously.
But yeah questions in the title how do I stop being a hypochondriac, any little thing I feel I over react to and usually I end up going to the GP where I'm told everything is fine and I end up feeling really stupid and embarrassed. What do I do??

How old are you? Young people are free from a huge deal of illnesses. Don't be so conciousness of your body. Lots of things happen in the body all the time. Instead realise what it means to get a doctors reassurance multiple times.

I also suffer from hypochondria, and if there's one thing which made me feel cured from it almost it is this: STOP. GOOGLING. ILNESSES. The more you do it, the more likely it is to become an obsessive action. Next thing you know you're googling a kind of brain leision which almost exclusively exists in people with diabetes over 60 and youre headache intensifies. Stop googling is what to do. Keep yourself occupied. Binge watch a new TV show, if you haven't watched the Big Bang theory, friends, or how I met your mother they're the place to start to completely numb yourself from scary thoughts. Same with good books of you enjoy reading. Try graphic novels, gothic novels, dystopias. Listen to music you like, Justin Beiber and Taylor Swift if you like Pop. Bastille, Florence + The Machine, Aurora, Coldplay, if you want something more alternative. Arctic Monkeys, The Ramones, Green Day, Kasabian if you want something more Rockish. Reorganise your room. Start an Instagram account.

Invest time in keeping yourself healthy. Learn to cook healthy foods, or any old food really that will keep you busy. Do excersise. Yoga, Cardio, walking. Seriously good for getting rid of pent up energy.

What I've listed here is a bunch of ways to keep DISTRACTED. Invest your energy in something other than your health. Try to forget you're in a body almost. I know how hard it is. Maybe the next thing you should go to your GP about is a problem you do have, hypochondria and health anxiety. See where it goes from there. I have incredibly bad anxiety disorder and know how hard it can be. It's not just feeling worried about things, it's falling down and hiding in the grass when you're walking your dog because you see strangers, being too scared to go outside, being paranoid you're unwell and getting obsessed with googling horrific things... You just need to keep distracted, and take it easy. 'Keep it up, I know you can'

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending