The Student Room Group

The real reason why Russia is behaving aggressively towards former Soviet Union bloc

[video="youtube;QAXjsag-gTQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAXjsag-gTQ[/video]

Because Russian people are being threatened in the former soviet bloc? Why isn't their side of story published in our media?
Original post by HucktheForde

Because Russian people are being threatened in the former soviet bloc? Why isn't their side of story published in our media?

Not saying it doesn't happen, but are you simply taking Putin's claim that it happens in a video as proof that it does happen?

And even if it's true, how does that justify Russia's actions? Surely by stealing a chunk of Ukraine, those Ukrainians in Crimea are now victims of the very same problem Putin claims of Russians in the former USSR?

Surely a state that respects human rights and the rights of other nations would seek to work with and co-operate with these states to ensure ethnic Russians are properly treated. Instead, his actions have likely made ethnic Russians even more feared?

Make no mistake - Putin doesn't give a fig about ethnic Russians outside of Russia. They are nothing more than a pawn for him.
[video="youtube;QAXjsag-gTQ"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAXjsag-gTQ[/video]

Media is always biased, they fear a Russia rise, Russia does same to West.
Original post by gladders
Not saying it doesn't happen, but are you simply taking Putin's claim that it happens in a video as proof that it does happen?

And even if it's true, how does that justify Russia's actions? Surely by stealing a chunk of Ukraine, those Ukrainians in Crimea are now victims of the very same problem Putin claims of Russians in the former USSR?

Surely a state that respects human rights and the rights of other nations would seek to work with and co-operate with these states to ensure ethnic Russians are properly treated. Instead, his actions have likely made ethnic Russians even more feared?

Make no mistake - Putin doesn't give a fig about ethnic Russians outside of Russia. They are nothing more than a pawn for him.

surely we can give them the same or a bit of media coverage from their point of view? I have not heard one of bit of this on western media. Only through RT. The accused has the right to defend himself.
Original post by ckfeister
Media is always biased, they fear a Russia rise, Russia does same to West.

Or perhaps the media are more preoccupied with more pressing and relevant matters like Brexit, Labour in-fighting, The Olympics and Russian drug test rigging and the US elections. Or maybe it isn't a story because it isn't actually true?

Either way, bias and conspiracy are poor arguments for explaining the none reporting of a story. Even news coverage is finite.
Original post by ByEeek
Or perhaps the media are more preoccupied with more pressing and relevant matters like Brexit, Labour in-fighting, The Olympics and Russian drug test rigging and the US elections. Or maybe it isn't a story because it isn't actually true?

Either way, bias and conspiracy are poor arguments for explaining the none reporting of a story. Even news coverage is finite.

kk
Too much RT today*
My family is from Kharkov, Ukraine, 20km away from the Russian border. I speak Russian as my mother tongue, as does my family, and half of this city. I am here right now. Let me tell you that nobody is being oppressed, threatened, hurt or scapegoated. The people from this side of the country are patriotic towards Ukraine, and hate the people that tried to make this city join the Donetsk rebellion. Terror attacks happen weekly here, from the pro-Russian separatists.

The oppression of Russian people is an empty geopolitical tactic. It is a perfect pretext for invasion. In 2008, Russia has been handing out easy-to-get Russian passports to people in Georgia, in order to be able to claim that there is a significant Russian population there that is being oppressed. The same tactic used in the Sunderland by Hitler.
Original post by LibertyMan
The same tactic used in the Sunderland by Hitler.

Paolo Di Canio?
surely we can give them the same or a bit of media coverage from their point of view? I have not heard one of bit of this on western media. Only through RT. The accused has the right to defend himself.

Well, I've seen it around. But it doesn't get much credence because it's bull. You don't give airtime to bull - at least, you shouldn't.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending