Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just discovered something that depresses me greatly.

The past week, I've been away on a university summer school, with some very intelligent people. And we had discussions about everything; from history, to Shakespeare, to our ambitions.

On returning home, I realised that I just don't get this kind of intellectual conversation from my friends, and it really upsets me. I truly enjoyed being able to discuss the merits of the Merchant of Venice with somebody, and not get the reply 'Ew, Shakespeare sucks'.

Does anyone else experience this?

ReputationRep:
    yes, but i do also occasionally enjoy "no intelligence required" conversations too!

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely - although for me its more about the merits and demerits of music... i guess some people just dont want to think about why they like or dont like something and prefer to remain blissfully ignorant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by conoraq)
    Absolutely - although for me its more about the merits and demerits of music... i guess some people just dont want to think about why they like or dont like something and prefer to remain blissfully ignorant
    Intellectual conversations can be good sometimes...

But when you are sitting on a beach drinking vodka watching your friends have a loud debate over global economics / politics / the UK constitution it gets a little tiring.... That's what I ended up doing several times on holiday last week anyway!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    I’ve a group of friends whom I often eat with, and whenever we’re together we always discuss politics and economics. That’s great, and I really enjoy talking with them (and the food and drink is out of this world). I even went abroad with them where we didn’t discuss politics or anything like that, but still it was often based around history and various other things (religion, architecture, etc.).

But honestly, I also love it when I’m with my other friends - they may not be the brightest of the lot, but you do need some decent gossip and a good scandal.

ReputationRep:
    my friends usually just run around in big circles throwing bottles of water at eachother and thus engaging them in conversation can be an arduous task

ReputationRep:
    why exactly is discussing the MOE classed as intellectual conversation?

But yea, there are only a few people i know who i can get down and dirty with on many topics...i do try to push people for their thoughts and opinions on things (doesn;t necessarily have to be snotty like shakespeare )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)

The past week, I've been away on a university summer school, with some very intelligent people. And we had discussions about everything; from history, to Shakespeare, to our ambitions.

On returning home, I realised that I just don't get this kind of intellectual conversation from my friends, and it really upsets me. I truly enjoyed being able to discuss the merits of the Merchant of Venice with somebody, and not get the reply 'Ew, Shakespeare sucks'.

Definitely. Most of my friends are morons.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    I usually end up bitterly arguing when discussing anything serious. If I'm talking to someone with whom I agree with on things it turns into a boring back patting conversation or a covert battle of who is more intelligent.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, this is why I can't wait until Freshers. Whilst all of my friends are very nice etc, most of them are not the sharpest knives in the draw when it comes to anything regarding politics or current affairs. I mean, I doubt most of them could even name the Chancellor of the Exchequer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cage)
    Yeah, this is why I can't wait until Freshers. Whilst all of my friends are very nice etc, most of them are not the sharpest knives in the draw when it comes to anything regarding politics or current affairs. I mean, I doubt most of them could even name the Chancellor of the Exchequer.
    Gordon Brown

You know what? The guys name actually escapes me now. Since the reshuffle I can't remember any of their names in their new jobs - apart from the HS being Jaqui something

Spose I'll just have to wait for them all to individually **** up so i can get their names from the news

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Invocation)
    Definitely. Most of my friends are morons.
    ;console;

I'm content that I have my fair share of friends who I can have such conversations with. I don't generally have many friends that chat about nothing and crap.

ReputationRep:
    I think I've suffered more from my gap year, than school - I've had to "dumb down" a bit to fit in at work. One of the reasons I use TSR is to keep my mind thinking my interests . While at school, I found the opposite of what you said used to happen to me: people I knew were always trying to impress by talking about "intellectual" stuff when I was more in the mood for a good old gossip session. That said, I don't think I have a single friend I could have a remotely successful intellectual conversation with. But there's a time and place for intellectual banter, and I'd hate to talk about that sort of stuff all the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilliwoo)
    I think I've suffered more from my gap year, than school - I've had to "dumb down" a bit to fit in at work. One of the reasons I use TSR is to keep my mind thinking my interests . While at school, I found the opposite of what you said used to happen to me: people I knew were always trying to impress by talking about "intellectual" stuff when I was more in the mood for a good old gossip session. That said, I don't think I have a single friend I could have a remotely successful intellectual conversation with. But there's a time and place for intellectual banter, and I'd hate to talk about that sort of stuff all the time.
    Hmm...seems they've got you in one of the backwaters of the service Gilliwoo.

I had similar problems both during my gap year and with the home based students at my old university. (Sussex). I ended up spending most of my time with either postgrads or EU students as most of the home-based students I came across only seemed to be interested in "pub and dwunk". It does seem that the impact of fees is beginning to change the culture as students become more aware of the quality (or lack of) of their courses.

I agree that there's a time and a place for this sort of conversation - if you do it all the time you can end up missing out on the things in life that are fun.

Half the problem is that in schools and in the media, it's not "cool" to be seen as intelligent, intellectual or educated. If it was, then with the BB contestants it wouldn't be the oxygen thieves and vacuous non-entities who got all of the headlines.

But hey, I'm just a grumpy old bloke

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Tom)
    There is a time and a place for many things. As much as I LOVE "intelligent" debate and discussion on all manner of subjects with my friends, sometimes you just want to chill out and relax; take a step back from academia and just indulge in some simple fun.
    Yeah, with me I think some of my friends (including myself) had just finished their first year at university and wanted to relax. One, however, who is very intelligent but currently works full-time, probably saw it as a chance to have some intellectual conversation for the first time in a while.

ReputationRep:
    I feel there's a time and place for "intellectual" conversation, especially regarding politics. Some discussions are great, others turn into arrogant show downs.

I don't consider myself to be more intelligent than my friends because I got A levels and some of them chose to go into mechanics instead. We just have some different interests that's all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)

Man, that sucks. You can never really go back once you've discovered who 'your people' are - the people you were always meant to be friends with and be around. Lame. I don't think I could be friends with someone who would go 'Ew Shakespeare sucks', lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoecb)
    I don't think I could be friends with someone who would go 'Ew Shakespeare sucks', lol.
    Haha, that reminds me of someone at work who was bashing Shakespeare, calling it 'irrelevant for teenagers today' and 'not necessary to study'. I was flabbergasted, not least because we work in a library :eek:, and I know that we all have our tastes but I don't think she can have properly read his work if that's what she really felt. ;no;

Anyway, I agree with the people who have said that there's a time and a place, I'm going to study some pretty earnest subjects at university and whilst I'll enjoy discussing topics like that in seminars etc, constantly being intelligent and insightful is hard and sometimes you just wanna talk about hair straighteners, or something. :p:

Oh, and, I have a mixture of friends intelligence-wise, it's odd because the less intelligent ones seem to have the strongest political opinions whilst the smarter ones seem more withdrawn with their views. I think to be honest being constantly surrounded by brainboxes would give me a headache, and an inferiority complex.

ReputationRep:
    moniker, when you select your module choices...make sure you select a module with Keith Brewster. Awesome guy.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.