Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

What's the speed of your 4G? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I've been a bit geeky, and downloaded the Speedtest.net app which records your 3G or 4G download and upload speed.

I'm on EE (with an iPhone 6)... and wow. Is this one of the fastest speeds?!

Previously on O2, at home, I only ever got around 12Mbps!?

This is almost 10x as fast!...
    Attached Images

• Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    That is one of the best speeds I've seen for a mobile network. I'm also an EE, I can get anything from 20/30 Mbps at busy times to 70 or so. Never managed anything that high.

Have you taken multiple readings to ensure that wasn't a one off? I've gotten some weird readings from Speedtest before, being super high once and then back to normal after. Regardless it's an excellent speed though, well above what you'd expect on 4G but unlikely to be what you'd receive all the time. Sucks that nothing will actually take advantage of it though. Quarter of that is more than enough on a phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Acsel)
    That is one of the best speeds I've seen for a mobile network. I'm also an EE, I can get anything from 20/30 Mbps at busy times to 70 or so. Never managed anything that high.

Have you taken multiple readings to ensure that wasn't a one off? I've gotten some weird readings from Speedtest before, being super high once and then back to normal after. Regardless it's an excellent speed though, well above what you'd expect on 4G but unlikely to be what you'd receive all the time. Sucks that nothing will actually take advantage of it though. Quarter of that is more than enough on a phone.
    I was a bit of a cheat... I was right near the phone mast so my signal was stronger, but... that's the genuine speed! The mast was right in countryside on the outskirts of Bristol though so it's probably just that no one or not many other people were using it. I took a few readings... they were all between 80Mbps and 100Mbps, but that screenshot was the fastest I got. Amazing!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by 2scotty)
    I was a bit of a cheat... I was right near the phone mast so my signal was stronger, but... that's the genuine speed! The mast was right in countryside on the outskirts of Bristol though so it's probably just that no one or not many other people were using it. I took a few readings... they were all between 80Mbps and 100Mbps, but that screenshot was the fastest I got. Amazing!
    Ah that would explain it. You'd pretty much have the connection all to yourself then. That's perfectly normal in your situation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 9, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.