Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I would appreciate if you could answer some of my questions concerning the course, esp in the first year:

1. Which modules do you do at the first year, all obligatory mentioned on the website?
    2. How long do they last? ( few months, the whole year etc)
    3. Which one did you find the most challenging and demanding, why?
    4. Which one requires prior knowledge and skills from A-Levels , IB etc ( I believe Quantitive Methods do, Any other?)
    5. Is it worth reading all the books mentioned on the introductory reading list?( I might have problems with getting them as I'm not from the UK)
    6. How did your typical timetable look like?( e.g.Number of seminars, lectures per week)
    7. Do you have the winter and the summer examination session, or just the summer one ?
    8. What are the typical careers after this course?( from what you've heard)
    9. Are you satisfied with the course in general ( place for subjective opinions)

Thank you in advance! I know it's a lot but I want to be well prepared :cool:

ReputationRep:
    yes dito.. answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plus_one)
    yes dito.. answers to these questions would be greatly appreciated!
    anyone? Please, maybe you can answer for some of them, not all ... I guess you're enjoying the summer..

ReputationRep:
    1.) donno which modules r on the website lol but you dont have a choice of modules in the first year
    2.) most modules are only 1 term long except quantitative methods of analysis 1 + 2 they take place both terms
    3.)hmm good question..found financial management quite difficult! used to be a 2nd year module! however it depends really where your strengths are and what prior knowledge you got!
    4.) well the 1st year is mostly designed to bring every1 onto the same level! it is usueful for quantative methods if u hv done IB maths SL or A levels! also for economics its quite useful if u took it before!
    5.)NOOOO as it says on it you shouldnt buy any of these before term starts!! mayb the one for operations management is useful!
    once you get to warwick there will b a book sale where u can get most books for half price!
    6.)you usually hv 2 lectures per module so 10 hours of lectures per week plus 1 seminar for each module so 5 hours of seminar! so in total you got 15 hrs, but in 2nd term we had 18 i believe
    7.) well some modules are essay based, so you need to write an essay over the christmas holidays! a lot of modules hv 20% multiple choice test, which u usually take at the end of term! and the rest is all exam based in the summer (term 3)
    8.)...... no clue there r some stats somewhere on the website i think
    9lol yea! i quite enjoy it, however 1st term was a bit boring! but i think most lectures try to do a good job. seminar tutors r in general very helpful as well!

hope it helps!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by knuddel2112)
    1.) donno which modules r on the website lol but you dont have a choice of modules in the first year
    2.) most modules are only 1 term long except quantitative methods of analysis 1 + 2 they take place both terms
    3.)hmm good question..found financial management quite difficult! used to be a 2nd year module! however it depends really where your strengths are and what prior knowledge you got!
    4.) well the 1st year is mostly designed to bring every1 onto the same level! it is usueful for quantative methods if u hv done IB maths SL or A levels! also for economics its quite useful if u took it before!
    5.)NOOOO as it says on it you shouldnt buy any of these before term starts!! mayb the one for operations management is useful!
    once you get to warwick there will b a book sale where u can get most books for half price!
    6.)you usually hv 2 lectures per module so 10 hours of lectures per week plus 1 seminar for each module so 5 hours of seminar! so in total you got 15 hrs, but in 2nd term we had 18 i believe
    7.) well some modules are essay based, so you need to write an essay over the christmas holidays! a lot of modules hv 20% multiple choice test, which u usually take at the end of term! and the rest is all exam based in the summer (term 3)
    8.)...... no clue there r some stats somewhere on the website i think
    9lol yea! i quite enjoy it, however 1st term was a bit boring! but i think most lectures try to do a good job. seminar tutors r in general very helpful as well!

hope it helps!!
    Thank youa a lot! Now, I know what to expect! I've got another question concerning languages. I learn German and I would like to continue. Can I take it as part of my course only from the second year?

ReputationRep:
    yea as part of your course you can only do it from 2nd year! however if you want to imporve it or something you can do a leisure course! they r quite good and you get 50% back from the business school or something like that

ReputationRep:
    They have the course regs hidden away on the website if you haven't read them already:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/q...rgrad/ib/n100/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RJA)
    They have the course regs hidden away on the website if you haven't read them already:

http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/services/q...rgrad/ib/n100/
    Thanks! I've seen them already. I just wanted to enquire about other options though..

ReputationRep:
    Now I have some questions too actually. I heard that since the WBS gets a lot of funding, we can now download lectures in the form of podcasts? Is that only for occasional lectures? Seems like a formula for laziness :p: I checked the reading list for operation management and they listed a book, a novel and a film

Also how many textbooks do people have on average? Is it easy to simply borrow them from the library or is there limited stock?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Paradiddle_man] I checked the reading list for operation management and they listed a book, a novel and a film
    QUOTE]
    Yep, when I saw Tampopo I thought I would burst into laugh That was really intriguing, but I could not find it anywhere, the books listed neither.
    Statistics without tears looks more interesting though..

ReputationRep:
    haha I love that title.. statistics without tears. Good marketing :p:

ReputationRep:
    hey hey

well basically u got a book for every module or at least every! useful to buy them cuz library is very limited and they r often out so u can get in trouble especially before exams!
    donno what the reading list looks like this year! cuz some lecturers changed...i jst know i didnt read any book last year lol
    xxx

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 3, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.