Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I have just finished my first year in cardiff uni studying zoology, but when i finish i would really like to fast track medicine (4 years) and was wondering if anyone could tell me what my chances are and whats the best uni to apply to, which ones offer this course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Loveland)
    Hi!
    I have just finished my first year in cardiff uni studying zoology, but when i finish i would really like to fast track medicine (4 years) and was wondering if anyone could tell me what my chances are and whats the best uni to apply to, which ones offer this course?
    My advice - don't limit yourself to GEP. Include at least 50% 5 year courses on your UCAS form! GEP entry (excluding the GAMSATING unis) is more about luck than anything else.

Plus it's far more competative than 5 year entry. The average across GEP med schools for both 2003 and 2004 entry was around 30 applicants for each place (1,200 for 40 places). Some places had even more applicants than that! For example GKT reduced the number of places from 40 to 28 = 42 applicants per place!

In contrast 5 year courses tend to have about 5 or 6 applicants per place.

This site might help. Certainly answers all your questions above:
    http://www.freewebs.com/graduatemedicine/

AS might
    http://www.admissionsforum.co.uk/

and this:
    http://www.geocities.com/alexism1974/maturefaq.htm

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, thats a great help. Went to those websites and they were really useful. I think I need to get some work experience under my belt to start off with, as all the GEP courses do look really competitive. Thanks for your help!

ReputationRep:
    Saying GEP is competitive is an understatement, there's a girl (or woman, hehe) in our year who has a first class honours in biochem from oxford and she could only get 2 offers for the 5 year courses and none for the GEP.

Tis otherwise known as the GEP lottery...

ReputationRep:
    :eek: Damn. There's no hope for me then!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by timeofyourlife)
    Saying GEP is competitive is an understatement, there's a girl (or woman, hehe) in our year who has a first class honours in biochem from oxford and she could only get 2 offers for the 5 year courses and none for the GEP.

Tis otherwise known as the GEP lottery...
    I know how she feels! I have a D.Phil from Oxford (not that the where should matter). Last year I got 4 GEP rejections. I applied to 2 and 2 this year, and got 2 GEP rejections (barts randonised, and GKT reduced the number of places from 40 to 28 after the entrance exam...)!

Starting a 5 year course in September, as if preferable to chancing another GEP application next year! At the end of the day I want to be a doctor, not a GEP student!

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 15, 2004

University open days

• University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Days - Exeter Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • University of Bradford
    Faculty of Health Studies Postgraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
  • Northumbria University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 24 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.