rbland
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Well I talked to my teacher about it and we were thinking along the same lines but there wasn't the same codon on any of the sequences but the question seemed to be looking for some evidence from the table so don't know
liziepie
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by rbland)
Hi,

I have my answers for section 2 for biology apart from question 5c - asking about which of the sequences is least likely to lead to a functional part of a protein and why. Did anybody get an answer for this one?
I think it's organism 3, because it has a deletion mutation of the G base, so all the codons after the deletion would shift and code for a different amino acid (frameshift mutation) hence leading to a different primary structure, then a different tertiary structure would be formed as the H/ionic/disulphide bonds would be in different places, so the protein would likely not be functioning

I don't think there's much use in stressing over answers for the spec paper, though - these questions aren't going to come up again, just focus on revising everything you know for Wednesday
rbland
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by liziepie)
I think it's organism 3, because it has a deletion mutation of the G base, so all the codons after the deletion would shift and code for a different amino acid (frameshift mutation) hence leading to a different primary structure, then a different tertiary structure would be formed as the H/ionic/disulphide bonds would be in different places, so the protein would likely not be functioning
Ahh right okay thank you that makes sense - I didn't think about deletion.
rbland
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by liziepie)

I don't think there's much use in stressing over answers for the spec paper, though - these questions aren't going to come up again, just focus on revising everything you know for Wednesday
Thanks, good luck
k.russell
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by fontaine97)
i was thinking about the stop codons but I am not entirely sure with my answer :/
I think I suggested organism 3, as there are multiple positions (e.g. 327, 329, 330) at which all (or at least all the eukaryotes have the same base and organism 3's is different
mariawood98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
has anyone found any answers for section 2 of the specimen paper?
mariawood98
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by davozgenius)
I have made one for the ENGAA and I am halfway through for the physics section of the NSAA
did you ever complete these answers? thanks!! lifesaver if you did
JN17
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Hjortlund)
Hey there everyone!

Any prospective applicants for Physical Natural Sciences that have begun preparing for the NSAA? I'm currently at a loss in regards to what resources I can/should be using to prepare, besides the single specimen paper that has been provided. Any recommendations?
I'd say the preparation you done for AS would be enough in terms of exam practice, alongside the specimen paper and possibly BMAT section 2 if you want a few similar questions.
I'd advise just going through the spec and remembering everything from AS and anything else you might need (i.e I had to go over radioactivity&electrolysis from GCSE)
liziepie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by mariawood98)
has anyone found any answers for section 2 of the specimen paper?
There aren't any! Maybe ask your teachers to look over it for you if you're desperate, but I don't think there's much point - it's not like the same questions are going to come up again, so why stress about it?
SashaVenkat
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I wrote that it was the chain that had had a point mutation (deletion). If im not mistaken, it was in organism 3, where a whole C (i think) base is gone so the whole mRNA chain shifts one base back. Therefore the protein made will be completely diff from the rest
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Please note, anyone taking the Cambridge Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment (NSAA) tomorrow must not discuss the assessment or their answers via TSR forums, PMs or any other means. Doing so risks compromising the standards of admission to Cambridge, and could harm the interpretation of your own performance. Your college may treat any breach of confidentiality as a very serious matter.

This restriction applies until the end of the current admissions cycle: 1st September 2017
NeverLucky
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
Please note, anyone taking the Cambridge Natural Sciences Admissions Assessment (NSAA) tomorrow must not discuss the assessment or their answers via TSR forums, PMs or any other means. Doing so risks compromising the standards of admission to Cambridge, and could harm the interpretation of your own performance. Your college may treat any breach of confidentiality as a very serious matter.

This restriction applies until the end of the current admissions cycle: 1st September 2017
Are we not allowed to say our opinions on the assessment i.e. I think it was very straight-forward/hard etc.?
daniilS
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Reposting here for visibility: I've compiled two extra practice papers for biology and chemistry each from the 2009-2013 BMATs (plus one question from 2014). Hjortlund has already posted some for physics and maths before. Answers to the first chemistry paper are up, the rest will follow soon.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/3ykrqr68s...dg9jSbC8a?dl=0
Forecast
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by NeverLucky)
Are we not allowed to say our opinions on the assessment i.e. I think it was very straight-forward/hard etc.?
I think it will be OK to discuss the paper after 24 hours (to accomodate those doing it in other time zones) really. The Data Protection form seems to mostly relate to at-interview assessments and the interviews themselves, rather than a pre-interview assessment which everyone sits at the same time.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Forecast)
I think it will be OK to discuss the paper after 24 hours (to accomodate those doing it in other time zones) really. The Data Protection form seems to mostly relate to at-interview assessments and the interviews themselves, rather than a pre-interview assessment which everyone sits at the same time.
NO.

The pre-interview assessment may also be discussed at your interview, as may your answers.

Bottomline; no discussion on TSR.
Xiuchen
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by daniilS)
Reposting here for visibility: I've compiled two extra practice papers for biology and chemistry each from the 2009-2013 BMATs (plus one question from 2014). Hjortlund has already posted some for physics and maths before. Answers to the first chemistry paper are up, the rest will follow soon.

Thank you so much! Thats so kind of you. Are you planning to put the answers for Bio on to the dropbox link as well? You're awesome!
daniilS
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Xiuchen)
Thank you so much! Thats so kind of you. Are you planning to put the answers for Bio on to the dropbox link as well? You're awesome!
I'm practising with these right now, and I'll create and upload the answers for each part as soon as I finish it.
Forecast
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by jneill)
NO.

The pre-interview assessment may also be discussed at your interview, as may your answers.

Bottomline; no discussion on TSR.
I can't see that happening with the NSAA (certainly not the Physics or Chemistry sections especially), as anyone could easily look up the correct answers after the test. It's not a subjective exam.
Xiuchen
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm practising with these right now, and I'll create and upload the answers for each part as soon as I finish it.
Awesome!!
liziepie
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

My hero
Thank you so much for This
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (127)
18.12%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.39%
Not great so far... (251)
35.81%
I want to drop out! (131)
18.69%

Watched Threads