Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do other cities in the UK compare to London? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    London is only comparable to New York. Nothing else comes close.

With regards to clubs and bars... I like the following:-

Café de Paris
    Fabric
    Fridge Bar
    Tantra
    Funky Buddha
    Zoo Bar

I can't think of any more off hand, but there's loads of cool bars in Covent Garden etc.
    :hsugh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    London is only comparable to New York. Nothing else comes close.

With regards to clubs and bars... I like the following:-

Café de Paris
    Fabric
    Fridge Bar
    Tantra
    Funky Buddha
    Zoo Bar

I can't think of any more off hand, but there's loads of cool bars in Covent Garden etc.
    Omg Zoo Bar!
    I hear tales of that place from my friends......it seems to do strange things to people

ReputationRep:
    Is it true though that only 5% of people living in London are English (some random fact i read somewhere).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Yes, I went. It was both actually.. there were only 5 of them there (I think).. Meth was one of the missing ones. They performed for about an hour and 15 mins. Doors opened at 7, they came on at 10. Before that was generic beats, Dizzee Rascal (and someone else), Lil Flip (and someone else) and some songs by other artists. Very disappointing.

Edit: Just seen on their site that apparently, all of them were there except Meth and ODB (ODB can't leave the US cos of his parole or something). I didn't have a good view though and their set was still too short.
    There's no love or grit in the act now anyway - they don't even get on - the Euro tour was purely a money-spinning device. Which kind of pees me off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    Is it true though that only 5% of people living in London are English (some random fact i read somewhere).

Haha, nowhere near true...

The actual figure obviously depends on what you define as English. I'd say I'm English, but as all my grandparents were born in Ireland, others would say I'm not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude)
    I won't even comment about the use of the term 'English', although others may do. :rolleyes:

Greater London?

I would cast doubt on that - considering that White Europeans account for anything between 94 and 97% of the entire population - depending on which source you choose.

Having said that, London is by far the most culturally diverse major city in the UK though - it houses relatively large populations of virtually every ethnic minority in the country.

I have to admit, I couldn't answer whether the statistic you have produced is correct - but it would surprise me if less than 60% of London's population were White European.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    There's no love or grit in the act now anyway - they don't even get on - the Euro tour was purely a money-spinning device. Which kind of pees me off.
    That's sucky, ODB's gone and signed with Roc-a-fella too. Apparently they're gonna release a new album though (www.wutangcorp.com said so, but it's down at the moment. I hope that's not a sign).

ReputationRep:
    ... Greater London? ...
    If it's Greater London that is being counted, that means all the suburbs; white middle class land.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    There is more students in Manchester than any other city (even London).
    There are 300,000 HE students in London - I would like to see the figure for Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh's better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    That's sucky, ODB's gone and signed with Roc-a-fella too. Apparently they're gonna release a new album though (www.wutangcorp.com said so, but it's down at the moment. I hope that's not a sign).
    I would be v. surprised to see a new Wu album anytime soon, and if it does drop, I would put money on it being shoddy. Iron Flag didn't exactly shake the Earth, a new album would be much of the same.

The most successful members of the clan are pulling in different directions.

RZA is the most in-demand film scorist in the business after Kill Bill - he is the brains behind the operation and doesn't really need the Wu anymore.

ReputationRep:
    There are 300,000 HE students in London - I would like to see the figure for Manchester.
    Yes but thats further spread out. Here is the figures:

University of Manchester - 40,000 (since merger with UMIST)
    Salford 18,000
    Manchester Met 25,000
    There also HE students in colleges as well.

Salford, Manchester and MMU are all very close to each other.

ReputationRep:
    I would be v. surprised to see a new Wu album anytime soon, and if it does drop, I would put money on it being shoddy. Iron Flag didn't exactly shake the Earth, a new album would be much of the same.

The most successful members of the clan are pulling in different directions.

RZA is the most in-demand film scorist in the business after Kill Bill - he is the brains behind the operation and doesn't really need the Wu anymore.
    Oh . I was thinking of getting Iron Flag as well, though I've only heard the title track and Uzi. It looks like Wu Tang is dead then. Masta Killa still managed to get all of them on his album though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Oh . I was thinking of getting Iron Flag as well, though I've only heard the title track and Uzi. It looks like Wu Tang is dead then. Masta Killa still managed to get all of them on his album though.
    To take the two biggest 'rap' (in loose terms) acts of the 90s, in a hypothetical scenario:

- The Fugees: Drop a new album - it is massive, everybody is talking about it. It may be rubbish, but it will sell 40 million copies.

- The Wu: Drop a new album - nobody knows about it in the UK. It is rubbish. It flops, the Wu are confirmed dead.

ReputationRep:
    To take the two biggest 'rap' (in loose terms) acts of the 90s, in a hypothetical scenario:

- The Fugees: Drop a new album - it is massive, everybody is talking about it. It may be rubbish, but it will sell 40 million copies.

- The Wu: Drop a new album - nobody knows about it in the UK. It is rubbish. It flops, the Wu are confirmed dead.
    Not sure what to say to that tbh .

ReputationRep:
    Yes but thats further spread out. Here is the figures:

University of Manchester - 40,000 (since merger with UMIST)
    Salford 18,000
    Manchester Met 25,000
    There also HE students in colleges as well.

Salford, Manchester and MMU are all very close to each other.
    The reference to density wasn't entirely obvious -

There is more students in Manchester than any other city (even London).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nylex)
    Not sure what to say to that tbh .
    Hehe, just a few thoughts - may not happen at all.

I'm pretty certain that the Fugees will release an album before the end of the decade though, maybe sooner rather than later.

ReputationRep:
    The reference to density wasn't entirely obvious -
    Did I not say within 4 miles radius or somthing? I meant to. Thats why I excluded Bolton, although its a manc university its too far from the main student scene (10 miles).

ReputationRep:
    Did I not say within 4 miles radius or somthing? I meant to.
    You mentioned it in the previous sentence, but it wasn't immediately obvious that the '6 mile radius' applied to what you went on to say.

I was surprised when going to the LSE to notice that a lot of the bars (about 4/5) on the neighbouring streets, had signs proclaiming 'No Students'.

Despite being in Central London, I didn't get the impression that it's in a very student-friendly place tbh. The lack of a campus added to this feeling.

I suspect that certain parts of London are more student-mecca(esque) than others though - Bloomsbury is home to several universitiy colleges and HE institutes.

ReputationRep:
    Thats kind of the impression I get from London. Manchester is very student friendly, there is lots of clubs and bars dedicated to them. I found the same in Lancaster but on a much much smaller scale. Edinburgh also had a bit of a student scence. However I London seemed to be as bad as Bangor for this.

I wouldn't have thought "no students" would be allowed either, I mean do you have to proove you're not a student to gain entry?

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.