Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do other cities in the UK compare to London? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I wouldn't have thought "no students" would be allowed either, I mean do you have to proove you're not a student to gain entry?
    I'm just reporting what I saw.
    Maybe they have a register of every student in the area? Maybe they have a quick poptest designed at sifting out students? Maybe they have a secret handshake which identifies non-students?

I don't know, but it sounds pretty harsh to me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    I'm just reporting what I saw.
    Maybe they have a register of every student in the area? Maybe they have a quick poptest designed at sifting out students? Maybe they have a secret handshake which identifies non-students?

I don't know, but it sounds pretty harsh to me.
    Argh well they are loosing good money, up here bars do everything they can to attract students unless they are in rough area, but then students avoid them places anyway because they know what will happen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Argh well they are loosing good money, up here bars do everything they can to attract students unless they are in rough area, but then students avoid them places anyway because they know what will happen.
    To be honest, some of the bars that I'm talking about looked as though they did a brisk sideline in £25-a-head corporate luncheons. Students would probably detract from their image - whilst paying out less on average than a white-collar fellow on his lunch hour.

Lord knows what a pint would cost in these places though! Maybe it's a good job they don't let in students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbdeeprob)
    To be honest, some of the bars that I'm talking about looked as though they did a brisk sideline in £25-a-head corporate luncheons. Students would probably detract from their image - whilst paying out less on average than a white-collar fellow on his lunch hour.

Lord knows what a pint would cost in these places though! Maybe it's a good job they don't let in students.
    Yeah true, a pint in any central London costs a lot, I remember when I visited the Swan opposite Hyde park were charging about £2.60 and that was more than a year ago. Here you only pay that in the upmarket celebraty places although my local bars (nothing special) charge £2.20-£2.50. Its about £1.50-£2.20 in pubs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    I haven't visited any cities outside of London in the UK. I am just wondering how do the likes of Manchester, Leeds and Birmingham compare to London in terms of the layout of the city, urban scenery, shopping, nightlife and the PEOPLE?

Like are the centres of other cities as nice as central London and all it has to offer. Do they have areas as great as L square, oxford street, the strand and hyde park etc etc.

Obviously London is much much bigger than other UK cities, but are they very similar to London in many ways?
    yup i love london too, but i think i may get tired of it pretty soon, going to uni for 6years just off central is gonna be taxing... not too mention i probably want to stay somewhere near london afterwards (even if i know the place pretty well)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KerChing)
    yup i love london too, but i think i may get tired of it pretty soon, going to uni for 6years just off central is gonna be taxing... not too mention i probably want to stay somewhere near london afterwards (even if i know the place pretty well)
    Which uni & course?

ReputationRep:
    Every other city is a craphole, London sucks too for a capital city.

Although it's ridiculously expensive, it still is one of the best cities in the world.

ReputationRep:
    Go to Camden at night, and people will walk past you and mutter "skunk" or "weed" in your general direction.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    Go to Camden at night, and people will walk past you and mutter "skunk" or "weed" in your general direction.
    They do that in the daytime...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dazmanultra)
    :mamoru:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.