Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In September I am moving to Newcastle Sixth Form College to study A levels. I will need to travel a short (20 minute) distance on either the train or bus to get there every morning. An annual season ticket for an adult (I'm 16 so not a child anymore) is £956 which is far too expensive. Does anyone know of any discount for a student that I can take advantage of as this is far too much to pay to get to school!!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't you have student passes on your buses because they might have a discount 😊
    I will have to take an hour-an hour and a half journey on the bus to get to college and that consists of taking 2/3 buses so I'm getting a West Midlands student bus pass that lasts 3 terms and I think it's about £200 ☺️

ReputationRep:
    Firstly why would you need an annual ticket, you won't be at college 52 weeks of the year. Secondly, check with the train and bus companies if they do student discounts, there should be something on their websites that will tell you, if not phone them and ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andylowes9)
    In September I am moving to Newcastle Sixth Form College to study A levels. I will need to travel a short (20 minute) distance on either the train or bus to get there every morning. An annual season ticket for an adult (I'm 16 so not a child anymore) is £956 which is far too expensive. Does anyone know of any discount for a student that I can take advantage of as this is far too much to pay to get to school!!!
    As Sparkle2 has said, with the long holidays you get in sixth form an annual pass is unlikely to be the most cost effective option.
    Most bus/travel companies offer discounted fares to those between 16-18/19 e.g. in London the bus is free for Londoners in sixth form, half price for non Londoners, whilst First Norwich does Young Persons fares for anyone up to 19. So check your local bus company website.

ReputationRep:
    A quick Googly Woogly came up with this:

http://www.networkonetickets.co.uk/t...d-young-people

All zone term price is £220, or £20 a week. Very reasonable if you ask me.

ReputationRep:
    Check out student bus passes, they are much cheaper. Some colleges give free bus passes so ask them

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.