Turn on thread page Beta

Overdressed or underdressed? watch

• View Poll Results: Would you rather be overdressed or underdressed
    Overdressed
    61.63%
    Underdressed
    38.37%

ReputationRep:
    My friends and I were discussing this today and I was wondering what you would rather be. (For a social occasion like a party, not an interview or anything like that.) Obviously the real answer is neither but if you had to be one. Personally I'd way rather be underdressed than overdressed; I think when you're underdressed you can pretend you're just a bit too cool to be concerned by the rules but if you're overdressed you look like it's the only time you've been out in a year and so you've made a real effort, which is a bit cringe.

ReputationRep:
    Would rather be over dressed. Do not have a lot of confidence anyway and if I look good then that is good.

ReputationRep:
    [quote=hang_your_heart] I think when you're underdressed you can pretend you're just a bit too cool to be concerned by the rules quote]

Disagree with this.

I've been to a lot of Formals and Balls and there's always some idiot who thinks it's 'cool' to wear trainers with his Tux, or to have his shirt un-tucked with the cuffs undone and no tie.

He thinks he looks cool, everyone else thinks he looks like a ****.

I'd rather people think I'd made the effort than think I couldn't be bothered.

ReputationRep:
    Oh I agree that that doesn't look cool at all! I'm not talking about that sort of underdressing though, because that's making a deliberate effort to look a bit weird and so doesn't manage to look laid back at all. I mean something more like wearing a casual skirt when everyone else is wearing dresses.

ReputationRep:
    Overdressed... easy choice. I'd rather be looking fresher than everyone else than looking like a bum.

ReputationRep:
    Over dressed, it looks like you have made an effort, and not just raided your gran or grandads wardrobe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simeon)
    I've been to a lot of Formals and Balls and there's always some idiot who thinks it's 'cool' to wear trainers with his Tux, or to have his shirt un-tucked with the cuffs undone and no tie.

He thinks he looks cool, everyone else thinks he looks like a ****.
    The pink converse with pink cravat was the worst one for that... I'd usually rather be overdressed, but it depends on the location.

ReputationRep:
    Converse only look good with tux's if it's a fancy dress part, or your profession is a clown.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by .Andrew.)
    Converse only look good with tux's if it's a fancy dress part, or your profession is a clown.
    Yes well the guy who was wearing them is what one might describe as "a bit of an idiot"

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be underdressed. At least then I'd be the wearing clothes that I normally wear which might make me feel better. Also turning up to a party in a formal ball gown whilst everyone else is in smart/casual would be really cringy, wheras if it was the other way round i.e I turned up wearing a nice skit and a top in stead of a floor length dress you could maybe attribute it to personal taste a bit more. It would feel less obvious to me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I am eternally overdressed.
    I'm just not that huge a fan of jeans really. I'd much rather wear a summery dress to the pub than jeans and a t-shirt. I think it's just the way I like to dress really, I hate looking the same as everyone else; in that respect you'll never find me wearing jeans, trainers and a pink tshirt (I actually refuse to own pink clothing, so that would be difficult anyway :p: and I last bought trainers well over 2 years ago. I don't think they even fit anymore.).

I'm used to looking overdressed, so I'd go for overdressed. Looking underdressed would make me feel a bit inferior maybe? Don't know.

ReputationRep:
    I would rather be overdressed, i went to a KBW show at Plymouth pavilions once and i decided to wear a dress when everyone else was just going in their everyday clothes and my boyfriend was trying to make a huge big deal out of the fact that i was overdressed but i didn't care cos it backfired on him, everyone else said i looked really nice.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely overdressed

ReputationRep:
    Overdressed, but I can so rarely be bothered to put in much effort that mostly I'm the opposite :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miss_world)
    I'd rather be underdressed. At least then I'd be the wearing clothes that I normally wear which might make me feel better. Also turning up to a party in a formal ball gown whilst everyone else is in smart/casual would be really cringy, wheras if it was the other way round i.e I turned up wearing a nice skit and a top in stead of a floor length dress you could maybe attribute it to personal taste a bit more. It would feel less obvious to me anyway.
    I agree, underdressed I'd feel much more comfy with, although only to a certain extent.

ReputationRep:
    Unless you have very fashionable casual clothes, then being less formal than you are supposed to be should not impress.

ReputationRep:
    Underdressed, when I was younger my mother would overdress me for the most informal events, was pretty embarssing for a self conscious 13 year old lol.
    Though I don't think I've ever been really underdressed before, I'm pretty good at teh smart casual

ReputationRep:
    underdressed, once a friend told us her party was formal dress, so we arrived in long dresses and suits. Everyone else was in jeans and t-shirts :eek: so bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cage)
    Yes well the guy who was wearing them is what one might describe as "a bit of an idiot"
    Explains alot then.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather be overdressed - at least that way (for guys anyway) you can remove items of clothing, such as suit jackets/ties.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.