Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have successfully managed to transfer straight into second year at Queen Mary, to study the same course as I did at my previous uni (history), and was wondering whether anyone else is in the same position? Im slightly worried about the whole making friends process as obviously I didn't spend my first year there and friendship groups have probably already been made.

Appreciate any responses

ReputationRep:
    I've just finished my second year at QM after transferring here after my first year!

To be honest my second year didn't go well but that was partly my fault because of personal problems. I also had the same worries –*I'm sure you'll find people if you join societies (there are quite a few!) and there are lots of pubs and places in the Mile End/Whitechapel area. There's also the people you live with – even if you don't become best friends with them at least you have them to talk with and grow more comfortable with while you make friends. I can personally say that the 'Advice and Counselling' service at QM have been really helpful so if you have any worries you can always go to them. Hope that's not too obvious but good luck anyway!

I'm ridiculously bad at talking to new people so other advice would be great too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by esmegg)
    I've just finished my second year at QM after transferring here after my first year!

To be honest my second year didn't go well but that was partly my fault because of personal problems. I also had the same worries –*I'm sure you'll find people if you join societies (there are quite a few!) and there are lots of pubs and places in the Mile End/Whitechapel area. There's also the people you live with – even if you don't become best friends with them at least you have them to talk with and grow more comfortable with while you make friends. I can personally say that the 'Advice and Counselling' service at QM have been really helpful so if you have any worries you can always go to them. Hope that's not too obvious but good luck anyway!

I'm ridiculously bad at talking to new people so other advice would be great too

Thank you so much for your response. But I feel even more nervous now haha :/ Im a naturally confident person so talking to people shouldn't be much of a problem, I just hope they're open to letting the new girl in lol. If you don't mind me asking, what made you want to leave your old uni? For me I didn't hate my old uni, but QMUL was my firm and just the vibe there seems so much nicer than where I used to be. Plus its in London so thats a massive bonus for someone who loves busy places.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marzia123)
    Thank you so much for your response. But I feel even more nervous now haha :/ Im a naturally confident person so talking to people shouldn't be much of a problem, I just hope they're open to letting the new girl in lol. If you don't mind me asking, what made you want to leave your old uni? For me I didn't hate my old uni, but QMUL was my firm and just the vibe there seems so much nicer than where I used to be. Plus its in London so thats a massive bonus for someone who loves busy places.
    No need to be nervous, if you're a confident person then I'm sure people will like you and want to hang out with you! I also transferred because QM seemed more friendly than my last one, and I can definitely feel the difference in seminars and the teachers are very accessible. If you say you can talk to people easily then you'll be absolutely fine!
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by Marzia123)
    I have successfully managed to transfer straight into second year at Queen Mary, to study the same course as I did at my previous uni (history), and was wondering whether anyone else is in the same position? Im slightly worried about the whole making friends process as obviously I didn't spend my first year there and friendship groups have probably already been made.

Appreciate any responses
    (Original post by esmegg)

Queen Mary is an incredibly diverse university and personally I found most of my friends in societies rather than on my course. They're a great way of meeting people with similar interests and hopefully you'll find friends for life! You can find a list of societies here: https://www.qmsu.org/societies/
    If you have any other questions or worries please let me know! -Sarah

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.