The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

First Generation Scholars Award

I have recently found out that I'm going to receive this award. Looking further into it I found that I should also receive a £2,000 fee waiver or a £2,000 University accommodation rent waiver, but in the letter I got it only mentions £1000 being put into my bank account. Should I contact the uni about the £2,000 fee waiver or a £2,000 University accommodation rent waiver?
yh I got the letter about the 1k too, I think they tell you more about the waiver closer to the start of the year. Wouldn't hurt to ask them though.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by ludd-sama
yh I got the letter about the 1k too, I think they tell you more about the waiver closer to the start of the year. Wouldn't hurt to ask them though.

Ahh okay, I'll probs ask after results day if my place is secured there!
yeah i also got this scholarship too and i just realised its supposed to be 2k not just 1k XD
Mine is exactly the same, I'm hoping they'll tell us more when our places are secure lol
Basically, you get '2' grants,

The first is £1000 which goes into your bank account, it comes in 2 instalments, one in each term.

The second is the fee waiver, which you won't see, the University will automatically remove it from your accommodation or tuition fee

Hope that helps!
hi ruby, did you apply for this? or you just found out on the post/email? cheers
Original post by coolstudentdad
hi ruby, did you apply for this? or you just found out on the post/email? cheers

As long as you've consented to having your financial information shared with SLC during your student finance application and your assessed annual household income was less than £42,875, then you should automatically receive a letter directly on your student finance online correspondence and sent to your home address detailing the £1K cash breakdown.

The accommodation/fee waiver details will follow in due course (you'll choose which you want, i.e. a reduction in rent for uni accommodation or a tuition fee reduction), presumably when we all have to register. If you've got a confirmed place and received no word of the cash component yet through student finance then I'd probably give Sussex a bell when possible just to make sure you're getting it.

Hope that helped! :smile:
Original post by paramorefanx
As long as you've consented to having your financial information shared with SLC during your student finance application and your assessed annual household income was less than £42,875, then you should automatically receive a letter directly on your student finance online correspondence and sent to your home address detailing the £1K cash breakdown.
The accommodation/fee waiver details will follow in due course (you'll choose which you want, i.e. a reduction in rent for uni accommodation or a tuition fee reduction), presumably when we all have to register. If you've got a confirmed place and received no word of the cash component yet through student finance then I'd probably give Sussex a bell when possible just to make sure you're getting it.
Hope that helped! :smile:

Thanks for this, am sure my daughter should be eligible for this but pretty sure that hasn't been confirmed through SLC or had a letter.
Although I will get her to double check.

She is first generation, assessed for full student loan so don't see why she wouldn't be. She might be looking forward to the cash but I'm more bothered about the rent reduction tbh
@paramorefanx, thank you. very helpful
Original post by coolstudentdad

I got my daughter to check her student finance letters online yesterday and she had one about two weeks after her main loan award notice to confirm she was eligible for the FG bursary award.

As mentioned the rent reduction comes later
Original post by rubyamelia
I have recently found out that I'm going to receive this award. Looking further into it I found that I should also receive a £2,000 fee waiver or a £2,000 University accommodation rent waiver, but in the letter I got it only mentions £1000 being put into my bank account. Should I contact the uni about the £2,000 fee waiver or a £2,000 University accommodation rent waiver?

Yeah you should contact them :smile: happened to me last year and they simply changed it .
Are you able to choose if the waiver is for rent or tuition fees?

Quick Reply

Latest