The Student Room Group

PiXl maths 9-1

Did anyone here do the PiXL mock maths exams in late June/July time for 9-1? I did them but no one at my school seems to know where the grade boundaries would lie. Out of 240 for the higher tier, what would the grade boundaries look like?

Scroll to see replies

[QUOTE=ChallengeLover;66817608]Did anyone here do the PiXL mock maths exams in late June/July time for 9-1? I did them but no one at my school seems to know where the grade boundaries would lie. Out of 240 for the higher tier, what would the grade boundaries look like?

Nobody knows yet until PIXL release them: we get the results on the 13th September (when we go back)
Original post by danielwinstanley
Nobody knows yet until PIXL release them: we get the results on the 13th September (when we go back)

Thanks. Where do you think they should be based on your experience of the demonic exams?
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE=ChallengeLover;66818126]Thanks. Where do you think they should be based on your experience of the demonic exams?

I really don't know because in our set 1, we had people at under 50% and it depends on how everyone else did. Then, on top of that, your marks might go down after they've been moderated by PIXL: I think we'll just have to wait and see.

My complete guess would be
6 - 140
7 - 180
8 - 200
9 - 220

But that's an absolute guess and probably nowhere near close.

I didn't find the maths exams too hard but a lot of people did; the English ones where awful. What exam board did you do?
(edited 7 years ago)
I did Edexcel .The English papers were alright but not as easy as I hoped they would be. I did the Edexcel style maths papers. I got 206 overall (73,73,60)(these might go lower). The last paper drove me a little crazy because I thought it was the hardest. Most of the marks I lost were for not reading the question properly or giving incorrect units (rookie mistakes). In our year group, I got the highest(surprisingly) and the next highest score was about 193 and then 120. Most of the people in our top set got 20/80 in each paper. I guess that is what happens when no one pays attention in class.
(edited 7 years ago)
[QUOTE=ChallengeLover;66818356]I did Edexcel .The English papers were alright but not as easy as I hoped they would be. I did the Edexcel style maths papers. I got 206 overall (73,73,60)(these might go lower). The last paper drove me a little crazy because I thought it was the hardest. Most of the marks I lost were for not reading the question properly or giving incorrect units (rookie mistakes). In our year group, I got the highest(surprisingly) and the next highest score was about 193 and then 120. Most of the people in our top set got 20/80 in each paper. I guess that is what happens when no one pays attention in class.

I did Eduqas English which I found awful but we didn't get our results back because English is subjective and so the marks could change drastically; I also did Edexcel maths (I got 77,78 and 80 - not in that order) which were down to stupid mistakes - such as I lost a mark on the standard form question (ordering one) because I wrote 0.68^2 rather than 0.68x10^2 which is still annoying me. I got 3/4 on the paper 3 vector question because I proved it but not clearly stated the relationship: little things like that. And I don't think it's that they aren't listening, it's that a) they haven't experienced problem solving questions and b) all of the content wasn't covered and it it was, it was likely to be a rushed lesson. And we were told not to revise for these mocks: I did anyhow.

Well done on your results by the way, they're very very good especially with 10 months to go until GCSE.

I'm just praying the English grade boundaries are very low, because I think I did okay, not the best I could've done though. Although it was quite nice to actually do a full English language practice because we haven't looked at reading comprehension much.
(edited 7 years ago)
I did Eduqas English which I found awful but we didn't get our results back because English is subjective and so the marks could change drastically; I also did Edexcel maths (I got 77,78 and 80 - not in that order) which were down to stupid mistakes - such as I lost a mark on the standard form question (ordering one) because I wrote 0.68^2 rather than 0.68x10^2 which is still annoying me. I got 3/4 on the paper 3 vector question because I proved it but not clearly stated the relationship: little things like that. And I don't think it's that they aren't listening, it's that a) they haven't experienced problem solving questions and b) all of the content wasn't covered and it it was, it was likely to be a rushed lesson. And we were told not to revise for these mocks: I did anyhow.

Well done on your results by the way, they're very very good especially with 10 months to go until GCSE.

I'm just praying the English grade boundaries are very low, because I think I did okay, not the best I could've done though. Although it was quite nice to actually do a full English language practice because we haven't looked at reading comprehension much.

Congrats on your results too. I was ill on the day that we were told that we were having the exams (friday) and nobody told me until I went to maths and the teacher took us to the sports hall for the exam. I was like "I'm dead". Somehow I didn't flop so I was lucky. I didn't really care about the other two papers because I thought that I flopped the first test too badly for it to make a difference. I guess I took a beating there, especially in the third paper.

I've heard about Eduqas English exams and they seem really hard. At our school, we have done almost all of the available specimen and sample exams available for Edexcel so we have been getting a lot of exam practice but the exams are still too hard. Shakespeare and A Christmas Carol are my stronger areas. I did bad in the poetry because of bad time management and I went into the An Inspector Calls exam blind (literally..... I didn't have my glasses that day). The creative and transactional writing went decently.

These new exams will be the death of me. To think that I could get full marks on the old spec maths in yr 9 makes me wonder how hard the exams have become becuase this new spec is quite hard. I still couldn't do the old English papers before other than the Shakespeare.

Worst thing about this all is that my teacher was bugging me all year to do Further Maths IGCSE. It is hell inside of hell but my teacher's persistence seems to have paid off and I am intrigued by it. What do you think about it? And should/could I do it?
Reply 7

wait ........ your telling me that you got full marks in one of the tests?????? how in the World did you manage that
[QUOTE=ChallengeLover;66819110]Congrats on your results too. I was ill on the day that we were told that we were having the exams (friday) and nobody told me until I went to maths and the teacher took us to the sports hall for the exam. I was like "I'm dead". Somehow I didn't flop so I was lucky. I didn't really care about the other two papers because I thought that I flopped the first test too badly for it to make a difference. I guess I took a beating there, especially in the third paper.

I've heard about Eduqas English exams and they seem really hard. At our school, we have done almost all of the available specimen and sample exams available for Edexcel so we have been getting a lot of exam practice but the exams are still too hard. Shakespeare and A Christmas Carol are my stronger areas. I did bad in the poetry because of bad time management and I went into the An Inspector Calls exam blind (literally..... I didn't have my glasses that day). The creative and transactional writing went decently.

These new exams will be the death of me. To think that I could get full marks on the old spec maths in yr 9 makes me wonder how hard the exams have become becuase this new spec is quite hard. I still couldn't do the old English papers before other than the Shakespeare.

Worst thing about this all is that my teacher was bugging me all year to do Further Maths IGCSE. It is hell inside of hell but my teacher's persistence seems to have paid off and I am intrigued by it. What do you think about it? And should/could I do it?

The main thing about English I hate is that it's a closed book exam so we have to remember like 18 poems, Macbeth, An Inspector Calls, and A Christmas Carol - which is going to be a lot of work.

In terms of further maths, if you think you could manage with another subject and you're wishing to continue with maths at A-Level, I'd recommend taking it. But, I'd only recommend taking another subject (unless you'd be like dropping something else in place of it) if you can manage with the rest of them because by the end of year 11, there'll be a ton of work to do.
[QUOTE=forre;66821176]wait ........ your telling me that you got full marks in one of the tests?????? how in the World did you manage that

I did so much revision for the exam: I did old GCSE papers, literally watched every maths watch clip and did the practice exam workbook by cgp. And, we did the Edexcel specimin papers as mocks a while back and they gave us practice on problem solving.
I've actually got 2 less exams than everyone else doing triple science. That is only becuase I do drama ( I'm disgraceful) and have one exam for that in March. At my school, you do Further Maths during some of the normal maths lessons so there shouldn't be a problem with the timetable but I must say that the workload will be intense. I could try drop IT only because my teacher lost my work by deleting my personal files. He's a proper [can't use the word here] and I don't want to be starting my coursework all over again. The teacher who sorts out the timetable won't be tooo thrilled but hopefully he will understand.
Original post by ChallengeLover
I've actually got 2 less exams than everyone else doing triple science. That is only becuase I do drama ( I'm disgraceful) and have one exam for that in March. At my school, you do Further Maths during some of the normal maths lessons so there shouldn't be a problem with the timetable but I must say that the workload will be intense. I could try drop IT only because my teacher lost my work by deleting my personal files. He's a proper [can't use the word here] and I don't want to be starting my coursework all over again. The teacher who sorts out the timetable won't be tooo thrilled but hopefully he will understand.

You can restore your files? Talk to your ICT technician: he should be able to restore any deleted files if they were in your area and so you'd get it all back. I do ICT too and the coursework is just ugh - the exam is easy as hell ,though thankfully, only activity 3 and 4 to do next year! Tbh I would only suggest dropping ICT if you're desperate because it's a really easy high grade.
(edited 7 years ago)
You can restore your files? Talk to your ICT technician: he should be able to restore any deleted files if they were in your area and so you'd get it all back. I do ICT too and the coursework is just ugh - the exam is easy as hell ,though thankfully, only activity 3 and 4 to do next year! Tbh I would only suggest dropping ICT if you're desperate because it's a really easy high grade.

I talked to the technician before the holidays and he tried but couldn't do it. The thing is that I only had Activity 4 left to do and my teacher said that I was on track for an A/A*.
I talked to the technician before the holidays and he tried but couldn't do it. The thing is that I only had Activity 4 left to do and my teacher said that I was on track for an A/A*.

That would actually kill me: I wouldn't mind having to do it again if it was actually "fun" but it isn't. I took ICT because I enjoyed it in year 9 and I probably wouldn't have if I know how boring it would actually be: in exam conditions doing a PowerPoint, then you peer assess, teacher assess, improve, do activity review and then repeat for another project - it just takes so long. And, activity 4 was okay I suppose (we started activity 4 by evaluating activity 1 and 2) but that took me a good few hours at home (it's the only piece of work you can do at home) basically writing the same thing for each product and, currently, it comes to 10 pages excluding activity 3. The subject is easy, it just takes a lot of work...like a lot.
That would actually kill me: I wouldn't mind having to do it again if it was actually "fun" but it isn't. I took ICT because I enjoyed it in year 9 and I probably wouldn't have if I know how boring it would actually be: in exam conditions doing a PowerPoint, then you peer assess, teacher assess, improve, do activity review and then repeat for another project - it just takes so long. And, activity 4 was okay I suppose (we started activity 4 by evaluating activity 1 and 2) but that took me a good few hours at home (it's the only piece of work you can do at home) basically writing the same thing for each product and, currently, it comes to 10 pages excluding activity 3. The subject is easy, it just takes a lot of work...like a lot.

I agree. Very long and boring but it doesn't take too much brainpower. Just write anything and you succeed
I agree. Very long and boring but it doesn't take too much brainpower. Just write anything and you succeed

I wrote 10 pages of waffle for the evaluation and my teacher said it was good - it wasn't but oh well. The exam doesn't even take much brain power, especially with grade boundaries usually being under 60/80
I wrote 10 pages of waffle for the evaluation and my teacher said it was good - it wasn't but oh well. The exam doesn't even take much brain power, especially with grade boundaries usually being under 60/80

2014 grade boundary was 50 for an A* for Edexcel I think. My brother did that exam and got 80/80 so he got his B in his coursework (he did no good work in it) up to an A overall. The amount of work he put in makes him deserve an F. He put no prep into it. Must be easy.
2014 grade boundary was 50 for an A* for Edexcel I think. My brother did that exam and got 80/80 so he got his B in his coursework (he did no good work in it) up to an A overall. The amount of work he put in makes him deserve an F. He put no prep into it. Must be easy.

The highest the boundaries have ever gone is 61/80 for an A* for the exam which is really low considering what the papers are like: they start 3-4 tick box questions of reading a table, some basics like features and functions of devices and then it begins to get harder...well not that harder if you've learnt it. I think the grade boundaries are quite low because the 3-4 markers are really specific and they only allow one answer which has to be linked. Apart from that, it's quite easy because you'll have learnt everything on the test (or you could guess for quite a few questions) Although, we did do an assessment in class on the second to last week of term, and it was really hard - it was only hard because we hadn't done a lot of the stuff on the test so I'm dreading P5 on the first day. The grade boundaries for our test were like 42/50 or something like that.

And, to get full UMS, you only need about 4-5 over the boundary.
(edited 7 years ago)
The highest the boundaries have ever gone is 61/80 for an A* for the exam which is really low considering what the papers are like: they start 3-4 tick box questions of reading a table, some basics like features and functions of devices and then it begins to get harder...well not that harder if you've learnt it. I think the grade boundaries are quite low because the 3-4 markers are really specific and they only allow one answer which has to be linked. Apart from that, it's quite easy because you'll have learnt everything on the test (or you could guess for quite a few questions) Although, we did do an assessment in class on the second to last week of term, and it was really hard - it was only hard because we hadn't done a lot of the stuff on the test so I'm dreading P5 on the first day. The grade boundaries for our test were like 42/50 or something like that.

And, to get full UMS, you only need about 4-5 over the boundary.

IT can be really unpredictable. Some tests have really low grade boundaires though. Hopefully the exam boards will have low grade boundaries for us next year.
IT can be really unpredictable. Some tests have really low grade boundaires though. Hopefully the exam boards will have low grade boundaries for us next year.

They most likely will because they've gone down in the last few years to like 50/60

Quick Reply

Latest