Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    N.B: I am a muslim male - ignore the username , throw away account

So.. I'm 22 and I am looking for a long term relationship, by long term I mean someone who I will hopefully marry.

I'm very transparent about this and I am not interested in short term relationships.

I'm very academic and I am told that I am a good looking guy alhamdolilah. But I'm struggling to find a girl of similar age who is pious. I understand no one is perfect but I feel rather disappointed when I'm talking to someone who is attractive and modest but they lack good character, they're very materialistic, argumentative, attention seeking for no reason etc.

This tends to be very common among young muslim women. I find English girls are way more polite and respectful in general. (please don't attack me, i am not saying all muslim women are like this)

Don't get me wrong, I love having a laugh ALL the time so I'm not looking for someone who is the strictly mature type

My parents wont help me because they don't want me to find someone from the UK since they don't know anyone here (yeah i know , pretty lame logic). So I'm on my own on this one.

What should I do? I'm sure there are thousands of girls who would interest me, but I don't talk to many people so it's also hard for me to get out there and cross paths with one.

Any advice ? http://static1.tsrfiles.co.uk/57a34a...lies/smile.png

Have you met anyone at uni or anything?

ReputationRep:
    Go to your islamic society or what not at uni, there's bound to be someone decent.

ReputationRep:
    i think muslims use tinder as well so you maybe be able to find someone there? :unsure:
    but uni seems a good idea :lol:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Serine Soul)
    Have you met anyone at uni or anything?

(Original post by Dilzo999)
    Go to your islamic society or what not at uni, there's bound to be someone decent.
    I study in a uni where the muslim community is very small, and of those who are muslim there are great people, but im not attracted to them physically...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Your title makes it seem somewhat comical like your friend got a puppy now you want one

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Napp)
    Your title makes it seem somewhat comical like your friend got a puppy now you want one
    lel I make everything comical.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    If you find non-Muslim women more suited to your preferences, why not give it a chance? In theory it is actually permissible for a Muslim man to form a relationship with the view of eventually getting married to a follower of another Abrahamic religion. But that's as far as it goes with your partner. Any children would have to follow Islam. I know that there have been some very successful marriages based on this, but also some disastrous ones. But then again, this is typical of any marriage regardless.

Alternatively, you could try some of those Islamic marriage websites (these are not your typical dating sites, pretty much anyone that's serious on there is looking to find a life-long Muslim partner) and filter to your preferences accordingly.

Perhaps you like non-Muslim women more not because they are necessarily more polite or respectful (you get this with or without religion), but rather, more open-minded and accepting without being judgemental?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)
    If you find non-Muslim women more suited to your preferences, why not give it a chance? In theory it is actually permissible for a Muslim man to form a relationship with the view of eventually getting married to a follower of another Abrahamic religion. But that's as far as it goes with your partner. Any children would have to follow Islam. I know that there have been some very successful marriages based on this, but also some disastrous ones. But then again, this is typical of any marriage regardless.

Alternatively, you could try some of those Islamic marriage websites (these are not your typical dating sites, pretty much anyone that's serious on there is looking to find a life-long Muslim partner) and filter to your preferences accordingly.

Perhaps you like non-Muslim women more not because they are necessarily more polite or respectful (you get this with or without religion), but rather, more open-minded and accepting without being judgemental?
    Thanks for the detailed response. I am aware that it is permissible for me to marry a woman who is among the people of the book, i.e abhramic religion. However, it's nearly impossible to find a woman who is actually under this category, every English girl I know declares themselves as atheist or agnostic.

I think the reason behind muslim women that I have encountered being unappealing character wise, is the culture. Vast majority of Muslim women in the UK are pakistani, and I really dislike their attitudes. Again, not at all of them, my closest friend is a pakistani, and even she tells me how pakistanis tend to talk a lot of rubbish and cause problems quite often, and she has herself suggested to avoid considering pakistani girls because most of the young pakistani girls will cause me headaches.

For these reasons, I'm looking for a women who is Muslim, preferable not pakistani.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by fatima1998)
    i think muslims use tinder as well so you maybe be able to find someone there? :unsure:
    but uni seems a good idea :lol:
    😂⬆️ - I don't know why I find that funny

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by TheRealAimee)
    Thanks for the detailed response. I am aware that it is permissible for me to marry a woman who is among the people of the book, i.e abhramic religion. However, it's nearly impossible to find a woman who is actually under this category, every English girl I know declares themselves as atheist or agnostic.

I think the reason behind muslim women that I have encountered being unappealing character wise, is the culture. Vast majority of Muslim women in the UK are pakistani, and I really dislike their attitudes. Again, not at all of them, my closest friend is a pakistani, and even she tells me how pakistanis tend to talk a lot of rubbish and cause problems quite often, and she has herself suggested to avoid considering pakistani girls because most of the young pakistani girls will cause me headaches.

For these reasons, I'm looking for a women who is Muslim, preferable not pakistani.
    No worries. Are you Pakistani yourself? If not, would you be comfortable saying which ethnic background? I see that you indicated finding someone outside of the UK due to your parents. Bit of friendly advice from someone who's actually gone through it: please don't rush into it - really give it some serious thought and time. In fact, instead of worrying about all of this right now, you should focus more on completing your studies, gaining at least a year of full-time experience in the real working world and becoming a bit more independent - you will find out so much more about yourself and also build up your character and personality far more in the process too.

You're already probably aware of it, but as a guy you have a bit more freedom in this.

You'll find that as you go on, and break out of your shell from being a full-time student all your life, you'll have a much better idea and understanding of what you're looking for. But try establishing a solid foundation first and getting your priorities in line i.e., finish uni, get a job (perhaps in another city or region), car, stable finances, bit of travelling (if you decide not to work outside of your family's commutable area) etc.

If you're a UK national yourself, be very careful and very wary of considering marrying someone from a third-world country. It's not the same as it used to be during the generations of your parents and grandparents. The last thing you want to do is having worked so hard to get where you are and then experience it all fall apart - and it wouldn't just affect you either.

I'm 22 and lived in England for 7 years, so have the same cultural background as English girls.

I wouldn't hold any luck when it comes to English/Briish etc girls and I'm afraid its you're a Muslim. I find English girls tend to avoid Muslims as boyfriend/husband material due how the attitudes towards women perceived (whether rightly or wrongly). It's not racist as I would never discrimste against you, it's just you're cultural background that some find to have backwards attitudes, especially towards women. I think your have more luck from someone who is from the same religion and cultural. For example, do you think I should be able to wear a bikini in public? I live near a beach so wear one most of the time in this weather. Even to go to the shop! Do you support banning the veil in public?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    😂⬆️ - I don't know why I find that funny

Posted from TSR Mobile
    umm i dunno either :lol:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2016
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.