Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am male and currently hold a conditional offer to do Adult Nursing at a top UK university starting this September, but recently, although I am perfectly happy being a "male nurse" (I hate that term why attach gender to it?), I am starting to regret my decision. This is not because I wouldn't enjoy it or be happy with it as a career, but due to the reactions of others. I have had family members and friends bare face laugh and scoff at me/ question my motives. Teachers at school also weren't happy especially my maths teacher who had a serious problem with it and spent a good chunk of the year trying to persuade me not to do it, and even got my head of sixth-form involved! My head teacher once walked into our chemistry class of 6 males and went white as a sheet and looked shocked when our teacher told him what I was doing at uni. I think this is because I do chemistry and maths A-levels which they see as somehow "superior" to doing any degree like nursing (I also do English Language).I have done lots of work experience in care settings and have thoroughly enjoyed them. My career plan would be to be an RN for some years and then do a masters degree to become an advanced nurse practitioner working in general practice. My question is, would you discourage a male to go into nursing? If so, why? Any advice from current nursing students or otherwise would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Nursing is a respectable as hell profession. Who cares if you happen to be packing meat and two veg down there? Do what you like.

ReputationRep:
    Who cares what they think? I see nothing wrong with it.

ReputationRep:
    You're starting to regret a career just because of other peoples childish opinions? you should be a bigger man than that. who cares if they don't like it or make fun, is that really how you want to spend your life - doing things to make others happy? you're saving lives everyday, what could be better that that? plus you might get to meet a lot of good looking female nurses.

ReputationRep:
    Mate, that is a fine career to get into we in fact need more male nurses in the NHS. Don't worry about what others think!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I couldn't help notice your poor grammar on the term "male nurse". I think you'll find that it's written "male nurse???".

Joking aside, sod 'em mate. Do what you wanna do. They won't be taking the piss when you're helping them with their problems one day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L33t)
    I am male and currently hold a conditional offer to do Adult Nursing at a top UK university starting this September, but recently, although I am perfectly happy being a "male nurse" (I hate that term why attach gender to it?), I am starting to regret my decision. This is not because I wouldn't enjoy it or be happy with it as a career, but due to the reactions of others. I have had family members and friends bare face laugh and scoff at me/ question my motives. Teachers at school also weren't happy especially my maths teacher who had a serious problem with it and spent a good chunk of the year trying to persuade me not to do it, and even got my head of sixth-form involved! My head teacher once walked into our chemistry class of 6 males and went white as a sheet and looked shocked when our teacher told him what I was doing at uni. I think this is because I do chemistry and maths A-levels which they see as somehow "superior" to doing any degree like nursing (I also do English Language).I have done lots of work experience in care settings and have thoroughly enjoyed them. My career plan would be to be an RN for some years and then do a masters degree to become an advanced nurse practitioner working in general practice. My question is, would you discourage a male to go into nursing? If so, why? Any advice from current nursing students or otherwise would be appreciated

-Tom
    Are you gay? It's a stereotype, not that it matters as you're saving lives etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    QUOTE=SMEGGGY;66819498]Are you gay? It's a stereotype, not that it matters as you're saving lives etc

Posted from TSR Mobile[/QUOTE]

You tryin to pick up? I like your style :cool:

It's stupid that there's still a stigma; it's kind of the same stigma that male primary school teachers face. It will change over time as more men go into predominately female jobs. Do whatever makes you happy.

It makes me unbelievably sad to think that people could possibly look down on and/or disrespect males who wish to become nurses. I could only suggest that this is due to the fact that nurses are mostly female and therefore this (nurses who are male) appears to be "not normal". There is absolutely nothing wrong with nurses who are male.

You are most likely going to get stick for being a nurse who is male but you are more than likely going to come across judgement in whatever you do because not everyone can be pleased, and therefore if you truly do wish to become a nurse then you are going to have to deal with this possible prejudice and disrespect no matter what challenges are presented to you. - I guess that this is how the times currently are and it is ridiculous, however times do change.

I know that people's judgement affect your decision but you need to put everything in perspective and I hope that you choose your career because it is your choice and not because of someone else's judgement.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suits101)
    It makes me unbelievably sad to think that people could possibly look down on and/or disrespect males who wish to become nurses. I could only suggest that this is due to the fact that nurses are mostly female and therefore this (nurses who are male) appears to be "not normal". There is absolutely nothing wrong with nurses who are male.

You are most likely going to get stick for being a nurse who is male but you are more than likely going to come across judgement in whatever you do because not everyone can be pleased, and therefore if it is your wish to become a nurse regardless of your gender then this is something that you are most likely going to have to deal with - I guess that this is how the times currently are and it is ridiculous, however times do change. If you truly do wish to become a nurse then you are going to have to deal with this possible prejudice and disrespect because, once again, if it is what you want to do then you will do it no matter what challenges are presented to you.

I know that people's judgement affect your decision but you need to put everything in perspective and I hope that you choose your career because it is your choice and not because of someone else's judgement.
    I understand that i'll get stick, its just I never expected it from those closest to me is all.

ReputationRep:
    Wow what sort of teachers were those?

In answer to your question, no I would absolutely not discourage it. If anything I would greatly encourage it. 2 things I respect more than anything:

1. People who save lives and
    2. People who break down barriers

As everyone else said, f*** what your family and friends think and do what YOU have clearly wanted to do.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.