Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

All of your questions answered.

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Firstly congartulations and well done to a happier healthier you!

What were you addicted to and how were you introduced to it and at what age ?
    Did/ how did your parents find out?

ReputationRep:
    Well done on becoming a former!
    ^My questions are identical to the person above

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    All of your questions answered.
    what drugs? is quitting difficult as they say it is

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    > Makes an AMA thread saying all our questions will be answered

> 17 hours later and OP hasn't answered a single one.
    I know right.. just realised this. So disappointed lol

ReputationRep:
    Will you be answering any of the questions? That's my question.

(Original post by smile43)
    Hi
    Firstly congartulations and well done to a happier healthier you!

What were you addicted to and how were you introduced to it and at what age ?
    Did/ how did your parents find out?
    Benzos, Oxycodone and Cocaine. The first two through self medicating and a rather annoying notion it would be fun, seeing as how everyone on TV used to be taking them. and about 15/16.
    Indeed, well only after the fact they weren't very pleased.
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    what drugs? is quitting difficult as they say it is
    For Cocaine its not a physical addiction persay its more mental but when its easier than going to the supermarket to get them it makes it very tricky. The opiate wasn't especially fun to quit but that was due to the physical symptoms. As for the benzoes.. they are very nasty. That took the better part of two years.
    (Original post by Plantagenet Crown)
    > Makes an AMA thread saying all our questions will be answered

> 17 hours later and OP hasn't answered a single one.
    I don't live on here...

ReputationRep:
    How much were you paying per mg of Oxycodone?

I've done cocaine a few times before and a few times recently, I'm trying to stay away but I'm really struggling to restore my mind, I wish I could explain further but that's really it, I've just entered a depressive mindset and the temptation of just doing one more line keeps ringing in my head. Also do you think alcoholism can be a gene like some are more prone than others? One thing that keeps me going and is sort of a coping mechanism for things I've gone through is over expecting/aiming too high which some might see as setting myself up for failure, do you think this will doom me into a life of drug addiction?

I've done cocaine a few times before and a few times recently, I'm trying to stay away but I'm really struggling to restore my mind, I wish I could explain further but that's really it, I've just entered a depressive mindset and the temptation of just doing one more line keeps ringing in my head. Also do you think alcoholism can be a gene like some are more prone than others? One thing that keeps me going and is sort of a coping mechanism for things I've gone through is over expecting/aiming too high which some might see as setting myself up for failure, do you think this will doom me into a life of drug addiction?
    Ahh forgot to add my question to the first bit, I was going ask how can I get past this? I'm scared if I give In I'll never be able to stop. The worst part is I know people who are heavy on it and would give me a free line just to have me there which makes it even more tempting.

ReputationRep:
    Benzos, Oxycodone and Cocaine. The first two through self medicating and a rather annoying notion it would be fun, seeing as how everyone on TV used to be taking them. and about 15/16.
    Indeed, well only after the fact they weren't very pleased.

For Cocaine its not a physical addiction persay its more mental but when its easier than going to the supermarket to get them it makes it very tricky. The opiate wasn't especially fun to quit but that was due to the physical symptoms. As for the benzoes.. they are very nasty. That took the better part of two years.

I don't live on here...
    I've been on benzos for many years... can they actually make your depression worse or is it just me? is it even worth quitting? is life less dull without them?

(Original post by TelAviv)
    How much were you paying per mg of Oxycodone?
    It varied depending on where they came from, British pharma ones £5 for a 20mg one usually but if it was the sort without the time delay the price went through the roof.
    Ahh forgot to add my question to the first bit, I was going ask how can I get past this? I'm scared if I give In I'll never be able to stop. The worst part is I know people who are heavy on it and would give me a free line just to have me there which makes it even more tempting.
    You have to stop hanging around with them really, especially if you givein to your temptations often. Its a horrible drug, tiny high but massive cravings for more. Might be worth going to one of the councelling centres for it.. works for some
    (Original post by Ciel.)
    I've been on benzos for many years... can they actually make your depression worse or is it just me? is it even worth quitting? is life less dull without them?
    Yes they can especially if you pop them like tick tacks, they screw with brain chemistry and long term abuse can do some real damage up there. Well i'd say yes, they're irritatingly addictive, tolerance builds up quickly [i was doing hundreds of mg's a day at one point] and if for some reason you find yourself cut off and start to withdraw it can kill [like alcohol and barbituates]

ReputationRep:
    It varied depending on where they came from, British pharma ones £5 for a 20mg one usually but if it was the sort without the time delay the price went through the roof.

You have to stop hanging around with them really, especially if you givein to your temptations often. Its a horrible drug, tiny high but massive cravings for more. Might be worth going to one of the councelling centres for it.. works for some

Yes they can especially if you pop them like tick tacks, they screw with brain chemistry and long term abuse can do some real damage up there. Well i'd say yes, they're irritatingly addictive, tolerance builds up quickly [i was doing hundreds of mg's a day at one point] and if for some reason you find yourself cut off and start to withdraw it can kill [like alcohol and barbituates]
    Oh, it's probably too late for me then

(Original post by Ciel.)
    Oh, it's probably too late for me then
    Well let me put it this way; there is absolutely no downside to quitting them sooner rather than later. I know of some people who've been on them for decades and now there is no hope on gods earth of them ever being able to quit. there's a good reason they are rarely prescribed in the UK and almost never long term...

ReputationRep:
    Well let me put it this way; there is absolutely no downside to quitting them sooner rather than later. I know of some people who've been on them for decades and now there is no hope on gods earth of them ever being able to quit. there's a good reason they are rarely prescribed in the UK and almost never long term...
    Can you define decades? Is like, 5 or 6 years decades?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You'd be surprised then. And if they are prescribed long-term in specific quantities to a patient, I wouldn't tell them that there's no downside to quitting unless you're very well aware of their situation, health and medical history. You could instead advise them about speaking to their GP/Psychiatrist on tapering down and trying something alternative, or perhaps just assessing their current state in order to determine whether it's still an effective treatment.

Sounds like the people you know are abusing them and/or have no self-control, but then again, a lot of people do tend to do that.

(Original post by Ciel.)
    A decade would be 10 years, and I guess it's been about half a decade for me. But the OP might have exaggerated throughout the thread. The anti-benzo squad are rather annoying at times, especially the self-proclaimed drug addicts wanting to spread their saving crusade.

There's plenty of popular forums with a vast amount of experience reports out there if you want to know more and be aware of the risks (Google, as I can't name them). If it's working for you, then great, but be informed as well. There is a risk of dying from sudden withdrawal (this depends, there's many factors). Some don't experience the symptoms as much as others, but you'll know your own body by now and how it reacts if it's been a while for you. Best to be aware of abuse potential, tolerance, combinations and risks etc. plus it varies depending on which type it is. I'm not gonna tell you to stop though. It has helped a lot of people, especially in tight situations, and also caused devastation to a lot of other people... and both will probably continue. Just be smart about it and you should be fine.

If you think you never needed them in the first place however, then consider questioning your reasons in the present time - since they can become the very cause of what you were seeking to avoid.

(Original post by Final Fantasy)
    You'd be surprised then. And if they are prescribed long-term in specific quantities to a patient, I wouldn't tell them that there's no downside to quitting unless you're very well aware of their situation, health and medical history. You could instead advise them about speaking to their GP/Psychiatrist on tapering down and trying something alternative, or perhaps just assessing their current state in order to determine whether it's still an effective treatment.
    I didn't say never I said rarely. As was with Barbituates current prescribing guidelines aim to prohibit the prescription as much as possible unless absolutely necessery. Indeed every time they are scripted [since last year] They have to be reported. [according to the GP ny way]
    If it came accross as me implying that they should quit regardless i apologise. I merely meant that if possible it is advisable to try and find a different medication especially for people who use it off label.
    Sounds like the people you know are abusing them and/or have no self-control, but then again, a lot of people do tend to do that.
    To a point the peoplei knew mainly had started using it to help with other drug come downs or sleeping problems and got fixed. Once that happens it makes little difference how good yourself control is. It's dangerous and irresponsible to try and quit on your own or go cold turkey.

A decade would be 10 years, and I guess it's been about half a decade for me. But the OP might have exaggerated throughout the thread. The anti-benzo squad are rather annoying at times, especially the self-proclaimed drug addicts wanting to spread their saving crusade.
    Oh you are a quaint chap :rolleyes:
    I never said benzoes were a bad drug nor said their use was detrimental I said an addiction to them is a serious issue.
    Well done on knowing what a decade is?

There's plenty of popular forums with a vast amount of experience reports out there if you want to know more and be aware of the risks
    Drugs-forum and bluelight are rather good once you sift through the junky posts.

(Original post by Ciel.)
    The better part of one decade for me others i know the longest is around 22 years if memory serves. A relic from the days of diazepam being 'mummys little helper'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Final Fantasy)

There's plenty of popular forums with a vast amount of experience reports out there if you want to know more and be aware of the risks (Google, as I can't name them). If it's working for you, then great, but be informed as well. There is a risk of dying from sudden withdrawal (this depends, there's many factors). Some don't experience the symptoms as much as others, but you'll know your own body by now and how it reacts if it's been a while for you. Best to be aware of abuse potential, tolerance, combinations and risks etc. plus it varies depending on which type it is. I'm not gonna tell you to stop though. It has helped a lot of people, especially in tight situations, and also caused devastation to a lot of other people... and both will probably continue. Just be smart about it and you should be fine.

If you think you never needed them in the first place however, then consider questioning your reasons in the present time - since they can become the very cause of what you were seeking to avoid.
    Oh so you're on them too? Valium, or something else? What for? Just anxiety or insomnia? I visited benzobuddies once and damn they attribute every single problem they have to benzos. Even years after quitting them! Insanity.
    I do need them. They made my life so much easier. But yeah, was just wondering if they're possibly contributing to my depression/endless apathy/mood swings issue.

The better part of one decade for me others i know the longest is around 22 years if memory serves. A relic from the days of diazepam being 'mummys little helper'.
    Ah, that's a very long time..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.