The Student Room Group

At risk of not passing probation

I'd welcome some advice

I took a job in a call centre for a housing organisation a couple of months ago.
On paper I was a strong candidate. I had all the right answers to give at interview based on previous voluntary experience in a role giving housing advice. While not exactly why I went to university I don’t think I am “above” call centre work and saw the role as a chance to build up my savings and generally keep my head down.

Yesterday I was told that I was at risk of failing my probationary period. In short they have said that I have two weeks to improve after which a decision will be made. It is not a conversation that has come entirely as a surprise. In truth I don’t think that call centre work is a particularly strong fit for me.

I’ve struggled with the multitasking required talking and using the multiple
databases at the same time
I don’t feel my subject knowledge is strong enough at the moment in order to “control” the conversations
I’m not quick enough on the database software.
In all honesty the role is stressing me out. I haven’t had a good nights sleep since starting the role. Perhaps not the best way to look at the situation but I can't help but think I could be stacking shelves and earning a similar amount with zero stress....

It is accepted that I am trying my best but I'm not up to the required standard at
the minute.

The on boarding process hasn’t been brilliant and the fact these conversations are happening so early into the role is itself ringing alarm bells. It feels as though the organisation has over recruited and is now looking to cut back after trying people out. Even so it is not a role that plays to my strengths at all.

They are not in a position to move me to a different role where I might be of more use to the company. It is improve or the door.

I am very worried about this situation. My income risks falling from over £300 p/w to £73.10 p/w assuming there would be no issue with me making a claim for benefits and I don’t really want to do that. That is no way to live.

I’m incredibly worried about this situation. I couldn’t put the role on my CV it would simply raise too many questions given I’ve only been here a couple of months. I’d just welcome some advice. In retrospect perhaps I applied for a role that I wasn’t particularly suited to merely to not be unemployed. I feel a bit embarrassed about the situation I’m in what good is a degree from a top university if I can’t hold down a job like this?

The obvious answer here is look for something else which is worrying me it is a tough job market out there.
(edited 7 years ago)
I don't think the obvious answer is look for something else straight away, stacking shelves is clearly not an improvement. To me it sounds like an opportunity to vastly improve your communication skills (or at least gain some evidence that you have) and I don't think you should give up yet! You have two weeks to turn it around, from what you've written it seems like you are capable of doing the job and performing well but they have just thrown you in at the deep end and told you to swim. There is only one thing that will save you from your lack of knowledge/lack of expertise on the databases and that is working as hard as you can. How about talking to your boss to explain what you are struggling with and suggest for the next two weeks you get there an hour early, and leave an hour later (unpaid of course) just so you can have some non-pressurised time to catch up? It sounds bad, and I'm sure it will be extremely hard, but in two weeks at least you can look back knowing you tried your absolute best and it will show dedication to your boss.

Also don't let it worry you enough to affect your sleeping, it is just not worth it in the grand scheme of things. I like to think about the vastness of the universe when I get stressed, it reminds me of the important things, happiness, family, friends etc etc.
Original post by anonsmith211
I'd welcome some advice

I took a job in a call centre for a housing organisation a couple of months ago.
On paper I was a strong candidate. I had all the right answers to give at interview based on previous voluntary experience in a role giving housing advice. While not exactly why I went to university I don’t think I am “above” call centre work and saw the role as a chance to build up my savings and generally keep my head down.

Yesterday I was told that I was at risk of failing my probationary period. In short they have said that I have two weeks to improve after which a decision will be made. It is not a conversation that has come entirely as a surprise. In truth I don’t think that call centre work is a particularly strong fit for me.

I’ve struggled with the multitasking required talking and using the multiple
databases at the same time
I don’t feel my subject knowledge is strong enough at the moment in order to “control” the conversations
I’m not quick enough on the database software.
In all honesty the role is stressing me out. I haven’t had a good nights sleep since starting the role. Perhaps not the best way to look at the situation but I can't help but think I could be stacking shelves and earning a similar amount with zero stress....

It is accepted that I am trying my best but I'm not up to the required standard at
the minute.

The on boarding process hasn’t been brilliant and the fact these conversations are happening so early into the role is itself ringing alarm bells. It feels as though the organisation has over recruited and is now looking to cut back after trying people out. Even so it is not a role that plays to my strengths at all.

They are not in a position to move me to a different role where I might be of more use to the company. It is improve or the door.

I am very worried about this situation. My income risks falling from over £300 p/w to £73.10 p/w assuming there would be no issue with me making a claim for benefits and I don’t really want to do that. That is no way to live.

I’m incredibly worried about this situation. I couldn’t put the role on my CV it would simply raise too many questions given I’ve only been here a couple of months. I’d just welcome some advice. In retrospect perhaps I applied for a role that I wasn’t particularly suited to merely to not be unemployed. I feel a bit embarrassed about the situation I’m in what good is a degree from a top university if I can’t hold down a job like this?

The obvious answer here is look for something else which is worrying me it is a tough job market out there.

Show very clearly that you are working hard on improving your performance. Ask early about opportunities to move elsewhere in the organisation - if you ask early, you give them 2 weeks to consider - if you are otherwise a decent employee, there is a chance they will make an internal transfer rather than recruit externally.

Start looking for other jobs, and pitch for junior managerial roles, not further call centre/sales type work. Not being successful at something that you don't want to use as a core skill should be resolvable. I appreciate that doesn't help your immediate cash flow concerns, but being useless at call centre work isn't an issue if you want a career as something completely different!
Reply 3
I left the role. They were not willing to move me. There is the possibility of a role within another department after contacting them but no guarantee anything will come off.

I'm in a state of panic now as I am now unemployed and need to find something else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending