Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Are there any other Americans on here who are either planning to attend or are already at a university in the UK?

ReputationRep:
    I was going to, but I hadn't really researched unis as well as I should have when I sent my ucas application this year and I wasn't able to get a place though Extra so I'm looking to see how many unis offer courses starting in January/February and thinking about applying next year.

Though I'll be 22 when I start if I wait until next fall. Makes me feel so old being considered a mature student.

My parents think I'm a bit crazy, especially with the exchange rate being what it is, but lots of people spend just as much or more going to a private school or out of state in the US!

ReputationRep:
    Isn't that the truth about tuition! It's worth it to go outside the country and see the world instead of paying just as much to stay at a private uni in the US. Sorry, but to me that's just BORING! Probably because I've lived here all my life. Hardly anyone even leaves the state where I live, it's crazy, let alone the country. Needless to say, there are a few strange looks when I tell people where I'm going.

Good luck with finding a place to start in January/February. I'm sure that you'll find something! What's your major? Don't feel old because you're considered mature. It's just a title, nothing more! From what I've seen, there are loads of "mature" students at all of the unis around the UK.

ReputationRep:
    I am! I totally agree about how staying in the US sounds boring. It's the same price as out-of-state tuition, so why not go to another country? It's like getting two educations at once.

Also, there's a US Society in the US forum, which isn't very active, but there are a few others like us. Not many though, and most of them are study-abroaders.

When does term start for you? You seem to be leaving a month earlier than I am. Are you going to travel a bit before uni?

ReputationRep:
    Wow, great to see a few fellow Americans on here!

For me, term starts the 19th of September, International Week is the 10th - the 17th, and Freshers Week is the 17th through the 24th, with classes starting the 24th. How about you? I'm just getting there two weeks early.

ReputationRep:
    Okay. I'm leaving on Sept 26 (arriving on 27); term starts Oct 3. Freshers' week starts a few days after I get there, but international things start a couple days earlier. I wish I could start on the 10th! These next 72 days are going to go quickly, though. I've hardly noticed that the past two weeks have happened.

Have you got your Visa yet? I'm hoping to have all my things in order before the end of the month. I just have to sort out some loan things.

ReputationRep:
    I intended to be an American going to Britain but I ended up being stuck here for another 2 years. Have fun y'all !!

ReputationRep:
    Wow, I didn't realize that some uni's started on the 3rd of October. That's cool though, it gives you more time to settle in and cheaper airfare, I think! I know what you mean about time though...I blinked and it's now 47 days until I leave. Where does the time go?!

I've done the loans (thank God; the whole thing was a nightmare to get through) and my visa application has been filled out and the necessary papers sent to LA. Hopefully we'll be receiving word back soon about that! The latest nightmare...I mean joy about this whole experience has been trying to get my parents passports. With all this stuff about needing a passport to go to Canada, there's been a mad rush (obviously) so my parents aren't even in the system yet! We've contacted some legislators but last I heard, the people working in their offices weren't being incredibly helpful. *sigh* Such is life, I suppose. Good luck with loans, visas, and everything else!

Nice to meet you Megx! You'll join us eventaully. If you don't mind my asking, what happened that you have to stay in the US another two years?

ReputationRep:
    She didn't get into Cambridge, I believe.

ReputationRep:
    O, I see. Well like I said, you'll get over to England eventually. I guess just make the best of your time left in the states!

Best of luck,
    ~Jen

ReputationRep:
    I am studying abroad in London this fall. I'm going to UCL. I go to Penn right now. I'm hella nervous but I'm excited too! School starts on the 24th there - but we're coming a few days early to get settled and to complete orientation stuff.

ReputationRep:
    I start the 24th as well. You're going to have so much fun in London! What's your major? Are you going with a group?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenny_Mc)
    I start the 24th as well. You're going to have so much fun in London! What's your major? Are you going with a group?
    It is apart of the study abroad program at my school. There happen to be about 20-25 of us who applied (and got in) to UCL, but we're not going as a group. I don't like them much, to be honest...so this works out best.

ReputationRep:
    Well that's fantastic for you! At least you're not tied down to the group by having to travel with them and everything. That would really suck.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya! I did a summer abroad program last year at Imperial. you guys are going to have so much fun in London! It's the best thing I ever did. Now I'm trying to get back over there for grad school. But I still have to pick schools to apply to and get all my applications together. Hopefully I'll be there in fall '08. I can't stand the waiting though!

ReputationRep:
    Totally feel your pain! Waiting is the hardest thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jenny_Mc)
    Isn't that the truth about tuition! It's worth it to go outside the country and see the world instead of paying just as much to stay at a private uni in the US. Sorry, but to me that's just BORING! Probably because I've lived here all my life. Hardly anyone even leaves the state where I live, it's crazy, let alone the country. Needless to say, there are a few strange looks when I tell people where I'm going.

Good luck with finding a place to start in January/February. I'm sure that you'll find something! What's your major? Don't feel old because you're considered mature. It's just a title, nothing more! From what I've seen, there are loads of "mature" students at all of the unis around the UK.
    Yeah, I know the financially responsible thing to do is just to stay close to home and go to a decent state school, but I just can't. I could probably get into University of Tennessee, which is I think ranked within the top 40 public schools in the US and would most definitely be more recognized with potential employers in the US than any UK uni I could get into but that's just no fun at all. The experience of living in another country for at least three years will be worth it. My parents keep telling me just to settle for doing a semester abroad, but a semester isn't very long at all and I'd just hate being so close to home even more once I got back. Besides, I want to do a year abroad if I go to the UK anyway to see even more of the world!

I certainly want to go to a good uni, but I'm not really concerned about getting into the highest ranking unis. It's more about the experience for me than getting into the uni that will get me the best jobs. I don't really care about ever making tons of money so as long as I can get a decent enough job to sustain myself (and be able to afford my student loan payments!).

Anyway I'm planning on doing a course in International Relations and then probably going on to get my masters in something after that. Not too concerned about the mature student label really, a few years isn't much of an age difference at all anyway, just feels a bit odd.

ReputationRep:
    Hey ya'll ! I am going to strathclyde in the spring. Should be fun.

ReputationRep:
    strathclyde is in glasgow, yeah? is it a study abroad program or are you staying?

ReputationRep:
    I have been thinking about going to the UK to do a Masters as well, but I don't even know where to begin. How does everyone choose what school to go to? Do you just check out their websites and see if they have a program that you are interested in? Did someone recommend a school to you? What was your first step in all this process? I have been out of college for about five years now, so its not as if I have any academic advisors pointing me in the right direction.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.