Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Worth seeing a non-specialized counsellor for Eating Disorder? watch

    • Thread Starter

    Is it worth seeing a counsellor although they don’t specialize and don’t have much experience with Eating Disorder and Self Harm?

    I have been to the school counsellor in the hopes of getting help for my ED and SH (mainly ED). She doesn't specialize in ED. Sometimes I find it embarrassing to talk to her about it because she doesn't specialize in ED, and I feel so ashamed. I'm always scared of telling her something very embarrassing, gambling in return that I will get help for it.

    Is it worth keep going to see her? It has helped a little when I saw her weekly, but I mainly 'stopped' my behaviours because I got so embarrassed and ashamed of telling her about it.

    Does anyone have any experience with this?

    Don't necessarily need a specialist in eating disorder or self harm as long as they have some experience and enough knowledge to not cause more damage. I think if it is creating a barrier for you, then it is important to you to have a specialist and so you should seek one out. The therapy isn't going to work if you feel to ashamed to open up

    in my experience it hasn't helped, but that may have been because my non-specialised counsellor was rubbish and thought that my depression and anxiety could be cured by "going out". I would at least give it a try first if it's all you have access to right now, and if it doesn't work and it's doing nothing for you, then you could look for a specialist!

    there's no reason a non-specialist can't still give you a lot of help and support with an eating disorder - they will still have heard all of this before and will still have a lot of knowledge
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 15, 2016
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.