The Student Room Group

How much do Aerospace Engineers get paid after 15-20 years?

Hi! Does anyone know how much a graduate Aerospace Enginee would earn after about 15 years of experience? Im think of doing a masters degree in this field. I also heard masters degree graduates are automatically chartered, is that true?
Original post by TheGoodStudent
Hi! Does anyone know how much a graduate Aerospace Enginee would earn after about 15 years of experience? Im think of doing a masters degree in this field.

£45,000 - £60,000 plus. Obviously it varies by company, role, how good you are etc.

I also heard masters degree graduates are automatically chartered, is that true?

No, you need several years of work experience and to meet certain competencies before you become a chartered engineer.
You will need several years of experience, then do numerous exams to achieve a license/ charted status. Even then you will be monitored for a 1-2 years to make sure you are doing anything laid down by the company and the CAA. But you will be looking at 35,000-60,000 once you are able to do things alone, but that amount is probably with a larger company e.g. BA or BAE. I,m currently doing an apprenticeship in avionic engineering and hoping to start doing exams for my license this year. Maybe an apprenticeship is suitable for you? (no uni fee's, getting paid, free education with a local college, and a lot of experience). Most aircraft companies will offer an apprenticeship program, and in the end you may be more employable than someone who has gone to uni and not had 5 years of experience before hand. Not saying Uni is bad (think its really good if you are academic).
It will vary depending on sector, I've seen people in the more mechanical side on £35-40k after 10-15 years and people in the avionics side on £80k+ after just 5. If you go into management then salaries will be a bit higher.

Original post by lewis9968
You will need several years of experience, then do numerous exams to achieve a license/ charted status. Even then you will be monitored for a 1-2 years to make sure you are doing anything laid down by the company and the CAA. But you will be looking at 35,000-60,000 once you are able to do things alone, but that amount is probably with a larger company e.g. BA or BAE. I,m currently doing an apprenticeship in avionic engineering and hoping to start doing exams for my license this year. Maybe an apprenticeship is suitable for you? (no uni fee's, getting paid, free education with a local college, and a lot of experience). Most aircraft companies will offer an apprenticeship program, and in the end you may be more employable than someone who has gone to uni and not had 5 years of experience before hand. Not saying Uni is bad (think its really good if you are academic).

The job opportunities for people trained via apprenticeship are usually very limited as they train people for much more specific tasks than a degree and graduate scheme will. They're much better for getting a job, I will give you that, but in terms of opportunities and pay they're best avoided.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending