Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Isn't it illegal to burn things in your back garden? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My next door neighbours were burning things in their garden a few days ago and they've done it before in the past. I hope someone complained because they are the worst neighbours ever.

The kids come in my garden through the broken fences to play, they are so noisy. It's like they are 10 of them but they are only few. I don't know why they come in my garden when their garden is double the size of mine. They abuse my cat too and also refuse to put new fences up. I can't because my house is rented but the neighbours isn't, we told the landlord but he's useless and won't do a thing to help.

I want to complain to the council but they ask for your personal details on the website. There is no anonymous option otherwise I would have complained years ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the person next to me on the right side in my back garden does it all the time too it's annoying as **** especially when the windows are open. Haven't they heard of recycling or getting a ****ing shredder

ReputationRep:
    I think the main issue is the frequency. Bonfires are not actually illegal I don't think, but if they cause a nuisance quite frequently then the council will take action.
    The issues you've described sound serious and frequent enough to definitely render some form of council action should it be reported.
    I can't imagine the council would state that it's you. The neighbours might be able to deduce that you reported them but this would happen whether there was an anonymous option or not.

ReputationRep:
    I thought it was to do with if there was a real danger to another property (or your own) then it is not permitted. E.g. In my mum's garden (a small garden between garages and houses, it would not really be wise (or legal) to have a large bonfire, but still acceptable to have a small fire of important papers. Whereas in my dad's significantly larger garden, which backs on to an un-used area with little that is flammable in it, we are allowed large bonfires, because there is no threat to life or property etc. But of course large to a certain scale, not like a mini mountain. Also you should complain to your neighbour if their children come into your garden, and if they ignore you, you can take legal action against trespassing. Or you could try just picking up some rubbish from friends or family etc.(e.g. an old table or boxes) and putting it up against the fence to stop them.
    • TSR Community Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by samzy21)
    My next door neighbours were burning things in their garden a few days ago and they've done it before in the past. I hope someone complained because they are the worst neighbours ever.

The kids come in my garden through the broken fences to play, they are so noisy. It's like they are 10 of them but they are only few. I don't know why they come in my garden when their garden is double the size of mine. They abuse my cat too and also refuse to put new fences up. I can't because my house is rented but the neighbours isn't, we told the landlord but he's useless and won't do a thing to help.

I want to complain to the council but they ask for your personal details on the website. There is no anonymous option otherwise I would have complained years ago.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    (Original post by AlexJWise)
    I think the main issue is the frequency. Bonfires are not actually illegal I don't think, but if they cause a nuisance quite frequently then the council will take action.
    The issues you've described sound serious and frequent enough to definitely render some form of council action should it be reported.
    I can't imagine the council would state that it's you. The neighbours might be able to deduce that you reported them but this would happen whether there was an anonymous option or not.
    I think this is true - I'm sure it largely depends where you are.

If you are in towns and cities though, I'm pretty sure it's banned because of the danger it poses to properties.

ReputationRep:
    Bonfires are limited by local bylaws so hard to say.

Where I live it is legal, in other areas it isn't.

No matter where, burning of certain substances is illegal.

Afaik you are not obliged to put up fences- they are to keep people off your property, not to secure other's territory.

I think that the landlord has a duty of care to you to provide exclusive enjoyment of your rental.
    Also, the council can insist on the neighbours being "reasonable" and not carrying out activities that prevent you from enjoying reasonable habitation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.