Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Results day is just around the corner but this is the place to be on the day and onwards!

A congratulations to those that are going to the university and you can use this thread to say hello to fellow students and discuss how excited you are to begin your fantastic journey!

This thread is yours, take it away

ReputationRep:
    My recommendation for Fresher's week: Make friends and hang out with the good people up the street at King's College - you know, the people who will actually have a valuable degree after three years and might be able to get you a job...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TitanicTeutonicPhil)
    My recommendation for Fresher's week: Make friends and hang out with the good people up the street at King's College - you know, the people who will actually have a valuable degree after three years and might be able to get you a job...

ReputationRep:
    Interesting that you say this. I had offers from both universities, but chose LSBU. Looking at the Unistats website, 100% of the students on my course were either in employment or continuing studying 6 months after completing their degree. Kings has a higher drop out rate and the student satisfaction rate is only 71% at Kings versus 81% at LSBU. What's equally important is finding the right university for you, you'll learn more from a university where you fit in and enjoy the course. At LSBU's pre enrolment events, I have met so many friendly and helpful lecturers, staff and other students, it has confirmed to me that I have made the right decision to go to LSBU.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. You may have have made the biggest mistake of your life there.

What Unistats doesn't tell you is that those 100% of LSBU students are working for a lot less money than a KCL graduate would earn - and the ones who continue studying are doing so because they would never get a job with an LSBU degree.

The drop-out rate is higher because a degree at KCL is actually challenging, and student satisfaction is so high at LSBU because most of their students are from poor South London communities with no history of higher education so they don't exactly have high standards.

You have just shown your true prejudices and preconceptions. You are saying that just because a student is from a poor South London community and doesn't have a history of higher education that they don't have high standards. This can be the case, but the opposite can also be true. These students have made it to university despite not having had the opportunities, they have worked extremely hard, harder than most, they are the ones that will excel in their careers. Yes, there's no denying that if as a boy you went to Eaton, Harrow etc then you will already have the contacts and have it easy, but then you probably wouldn't be going to Kings. But for everyone else, the old boys school network isn't as relevant as it used to be, its becoming out dated, it's all about working hard and proving yourself. Most universities have placements, the better the placement the better your CV looks, plus many people get permanent jobs where they did their placements. Did you know for example that LSBU has placements within Guy's and St Thomas' one of the top hospitals in the UK? Students are also allowed to source their own placements, most of the top businesses in the UK endeavour to take on graduates from disadvantaged backgrounds, partly because it makes them look like a caring company but also because they know that these can be the strongest candidates for the role, those graduates are driven to achieve. It's all down to the student's drive and determination, if they want that top job then they will get that top job. Others may chose a lower paid role with a better work life balance, or just because they don't want to fight for the top job, it's all down to the individual. Luckily these days most employers are more open minded than to write someone off because of their background.

ReputationRep:
    You are a very sad person, this thread is all about students celebrating getting their results and getting excited about going to university and for some reason you have decided to post rude and obnoxious comments. I have no idea why you are such a negative person.
    My final comment is that I'm really pleased and excited for those students who have got their grades and look forward to meeting some of them in September.

ReputationRep:
    Im looking forward to studying at LSBU. As I have autism i find it hard and the support that they give at LSBU is absolutely fantastic! Ive heard a few people say that the university isn't much but everybody has different opinions of what they look for when choosing where to study. I only applied for LSBu and LSBU only and am attending there in spetmeber 2016 to study on a brand new course called B Theatre Technologies with aspirations of becoming a lighting designer. Now; i could of gone to rose bruford or UCL but i decided not to as i much prefer to be in a place where the care and support and the accommodation is allot closer to the campus, a lot safer and i feel more welcomed. Its a great university and I'm so looking forward to be starting in septmeber!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claudia_van)
    Im looking forward to studying at LSBU. As I have autism i find it hard and the support that they give at LSBU is absolutely fantastic! Ive heard a few people say that the university isn't much but everybody has different opinions of what they look for when choosing where to study. I only applied for LSBu and LSBU only and am attending there in spetmeber 2016 to study on a brand new course called B Theatre Technologies with aspirations of becoming a lighting designer. Now; i could of gone to rose bruford or UCL but i decided not to as i much prefer to be in a place where the care and support and the accommodation is allot closer to the campus, a lot safer and i feel more welcomed. Its a great university and I'm so looking forward to be starting in septmeber!
    I think that you've made a great decision. I too have heard that LSBU have got one of the best support teams for every student's needs. Congratulations, I hope that you have a fab time at university

ReputationRep:
    Mr Negative Nancy, have you had your university experience yet or has papa enlightened you the ways of the university world from his time?

For those of you that may have taken his words to heart, I went to a top 40 uni and experienced all of the things negative Nancy made seem exclusive to a lower league uni - from the people from a low socio-economic background to those that drink and party non stop and didn't go to lectures at all or came hung over. Uni is what you make of it so have a great time but don't let your great time compromise your grade and also WORK; work experience is what will help differentiate your cv from those that just done their degree and nothing else - wherever that degree may have been taken (unless we are talking Oxbridge because the name alone gets them unicorns).

Congratulations and have an amazing time!

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.