Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi I'm just starting the personal study- I'm wanting to do something either on a) Henry VIII's wives or b) Mary I

BUT- I can't find a decent question :confused: - does anyone know of an essay question list I can use?

ReputationRep:
    You could do something about why mary failed or whether her reign deserves to be called a failure maybe

ReputationRep:
    I did 'How great a threat to the throne of Elizabeth I was Mary, Queen of Scots.' I found it quite a good one- there are shedloads of writing on it.

ReputationRep:
    I am also doing Mary I with the use of an exam board question, which does not really fit but my teacher seemed unwilling to negotiate.

'How far do you agree, that no individual can change the course of History?'

ReputationRep:
    But I believe individuals can chnge history! After all, if Mary I had not led the rebellion against Jane Grey, then history would have been different...

ReputationRep:
    How about "to what extent did Phillip of Spain influence Mary's reign?"

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, now that would be a good one... you could argue the whole 'did philip make Mary more vengeful on protestants, or did he hold her back' argument... and then the wars with France... and the phantom pregnancies and how they affected her reign... why, oh why, didn't I think of that one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teao the Cat)
    But I believe individuals can chnge history! After all, if Mary I had not led the rebellion against Jane Grey, then history would have been different...

Yeah, but in her reign she didnt do anything spectacular, infact, alot of the things were reversed in the end by Elizabeth. The truce with the Habsburgs, Catholic reformations. Although, she did increase the size of the navy and the land army. Which, then, Elizabeth used against the Habsburgs. It can be argued that her reign would've been successful had she not died, I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    But if she had not led the rebellion, she would not have reigned at all!

ReputationRep:
    Ooh, now that would be a good one... you could argue the whole 'did philip make Mary more vengeful on protestants, or did he hold her back' argument... and then the wars with France... and the phantom pregnancies and how they affected her reign... why, oh why, didn't I think of that one?

cos im amazing hee hee

ReputationRep:
    Not meaning to be rude, i don't think it's that fantastic a question because it's very difficult to actually develop an argument. Phillip didn't spend a lot of time in England and you'd be relying on personal letters essentially or court speculation (which comes with an inherent bias) in trying to assess the impact that he had on her decisions. It's unlikely to have a real factual basis as an essay instead it's likely to rest on supposition as well as being intensely difficult to research.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: September 23, 2007

University open days

• Southampton Solent University
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Sun, 18 Nov '18
  • University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.