Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have never visited a job centre before, and have been trying to find answers to my questions via the internet and telephone (but jobcentreplus.gov.uk is poo, and it's a Sunday), so I was wondering if another, more clued up TSR user would be able to help me:

Do you have to go to your nearest job centre or can you go to any branch?
    Do I need to book an appointment, or will they see to me if I just turn up?
    What do I need to take with me?

Chars,
    Much love,
    e.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that text is small!

Sorry but I cant actually read it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmajcunningham)
    I have never visited a job centre before, and have been trying to find answers to my questions via the internet and telephone (but jobcentreplus.gov.uk is poo, and it's a Sunday), so I was wondering if another, more clued up TSR user would be able to help me:

Do you have to go to your nearest job centre or can you go to any branch?
    Do I need to book an appointment, or will they see to me if I just turn up?
    What do I need to take with me?

Chars,
    Much love,
    e.
    What are your questions?

Do you want to sign on to Jobseeker's allowance or just search the Jobcentre database for jobs?

If you are just seeking to search for jobs, use the website (which has all the jobs on their database on it) - http://www.jobcentreplus.gov.uk

You can also sign on to Jobseeker's allowance online - http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Employme...kers/index.htm

By the way, thisbemadness, you can increase and decrease font size by holding down control (ctrl) and moving your mouse wheel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agamemnon)

By the way, thisbemadness, you can increase and decrease font size by holding down control (ctrl) and moving your mouse wheel.
    Right, I didnt know that, thanks!

Ive used the Jobcentre previously and must admit, I didnt actually like going there. You might be better off just using the internet site to look for jobs and then phoning them up if you need details on how to apply, which is what I do. But obviously if you want to speak to someone in person you'll need to actually go in and see them. You can go to any branch, I think you'll need your National Insurance number (they always ask for mine when I phone them up anyway)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks muchly guys. x

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you are wanting to know about.

If you are looking for a job, just go in. They have machines where you can look for a job and phones where you can arrange interviews and stuff. Occasionally it used to say "Please see an adviser for more details" but I think they use the JobCentrePlus phone line instead nowadays. Again, you can use the phones in the Job Centre to do this, or you can do it from home.

If it is regarding applying for benefits they usually require you to make the initial application over the phone. They can send you an application form if you prefer, but it will mean your claim is delayed by a few days for posting. Once you have made the initial application (takes about an hour, but the phone call is free) they will book you an appointment at your local JobCentre to continue the application.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, i actually work for the JobCentre plus and am currently at work right now while writing this. If anyone wants any information, if im at work id be happy to answer your questions if you'd just personal message me with any questions regarding the website/jobs/information etc id be happy to help!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 19, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.