(removed for privacy)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    TSR has loads of resources about picking unis based on style of teaching and experience so have a look.

ReputationRep:
    DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mliela)
    DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I actually have done my research, I looked at a list of the IB minimum requirements for all the UK unis (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...B_Requirements, http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteColl...al-schools.pdf) and the competition ratios (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...etition_Ratios).

The thing is many unis have their minimum requirement (e.g. Cambridge 41) but obviously if there are applicants with higher IB scores (amongst other factors) they will pick them, so the list isn't very helpful in my situation.

I was just looking for first hand experience from other students that have applied to different unis and their experiences. And also since many unis reply with reasons for rejection which can be extremely helpful in knowing what the uni is looking for.

In addition I have tried to look for the minimum cut off scores for IB students but its hard finding as most of them are about UKCAT scores (which i havent taken yet) and A levels.

I understand that there are many people who may be going on these forums asking questions without doing their research, but i appreciate if you don't straight out assume I haven't done mine and if you were a little less rude about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    TSR has loads of resources about picking unis based on style of teaching and experience so have a look.
    Thank you! I have looked at so many already my eyes are burning hahaha

I'm mostly concerned with which unis I can get into rather than the style of teaching as all the UK unis for med are qualified (in my opinion) and I would be happy with any.

But thank you for the advice, I'll definitely continue looking at forums to get an idea of which uni would suit me the best.

ReputationRep:
    Your IB and IGCSEs are pretty solid, but some universities will require HL 7s in Biology and/or Chemistry, so make sure you check on each university's website before applying.

For example, your HL 666 is good enough for Barts and Bristol, but Cambridge requires 776 at HL and Birmingham asks for 766.

Also, after you get your UKCAT result you can decide if you believe your score is good enough for the medical schools that take the UKCAT, if not you can book onto the BMAT and apply to some of the BMAT medical schools (think: Brighton, Leeds, Oxford etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YesMED!)
    Your IB and IGCSEs are pretty solid, but some universities will require HL 7s in Biology and/or Chemistry, so make sure you check on each university's website before applying.

For example, your HL 666 is good enough for Barts and Bristol, but Cambridge requires 776 at HL and Birmingham asks for 766.

Also, after you get your UKCAT result you can decide if you believe your score is good enough for the medical schools that take the UKCAT, if not you can book onto the BMAT and apply to some of the BMAT medical schools (think: Brighton, Leeds, Oxford etc)
    Yeahh i know ): Im pretty sad because Birmingham, Cambridge, Cardiff, Edinburgh, Manchester, Oxford, and St. Andrews are all out because of my HL 666.

Thank you so much for the response! I think Im just stressing out ahead of time when really I should first worry about UKCAT because its hard to narrow down all these uni's without my UKCAT score.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by don9)
    I actually have done my research, I looked at a list of the IB minimum requirements for all the UK unis (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...B_Requirements, http://www.medschools.ac.uk/SiteColl...al-schools.pdf) and the competition ratios (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...etition_Ratios).

The thing is many unis have their minimum requirement (e.g. Cambridge 41) but obviously if there are applicants with higher IB scores (amongst other factors) they will pick them, so the list isn't very helpful in my situation.

I was just looking for first hand experience from other students that have applied to different unis and their experiences. And also since many unis reply with reasons for rejection which can be extremely helpful in knowing what the uni is looking for.

In addition I have tried to look for the minimum cut off scores for IB students but its hard finding as most of them are about UKCAT scores (which i havent taken yet) and A levels.

I understand that there are many people who may be going on these forums asking questions without doing their research, but i appreciate if you don't straight out assume I haven't done mine and if you were a little less rude about it.
    Most universities will treat IB scores the same way they treat A levels. As long as you meet their minimum requirement its fine. Most don't always prefer people with higher grades because academics alone aren't a good way of representing who will be a good doctor in the future. Other websites will have more information than just the student room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mliela)
    Most universities will treat IB scores the same way they treat A levels. As long as you meet their minimum requirement its fine. Most don't always prefer people with higher grades because academics alone aren't a good way of representing who will be a good doctor in the future. Other websites will have more information than just the student room.
    Alright thank you! I was under the impression that the score was a huge factor but now i'm getting the general idea that as long as you meet the minimum requirements it's fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.