The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I think you would be accepted for an access course but you would struggle getting into university.
As access courses aren't as academically rigorous as A Levels, universities only accept them alongside a significant amount of work experience.
Original post by a.h123
With results day coming closer, I think more and more that I'm not going to get into my firm university so I was thinking about doing an access course. Has anyone ever got into an access course at 18?

You need to speak to the colleges concerned to see if they will accept you onto an access course at 18.
Original post by Hamo2509
I think you would be accepted for an access course but you would struggle getting into university.
As access courses aren't as academically rigorous as A Levels, universities only accept them alongside a significant amount of work experience.

This is rubbish - Access courses are far more intense than A levels and universities don't require work experience alongside them.

There are some issues around the suitability of Access courses for different degrees - so it's always a good idea to check that the access course being taken is acceptable for the degree you want to study but that's like making sure you have the right A level subjects.
Reply 3
Check out the uni you want to go to, lots accept access courses. As from this yr, you can do an access at 16! I dnt feel ready for uni as im autistic and i am 18 and doing an access this yr.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
I started my access course when I was 18 and had offers from Newcastle, Northumbria, Nottingham Trent and Sheffield. They are widely recognised by universities and it's not true that they aren't valued as much as a levels! Go for it, doing an access course was one of the best decisions I've ever made!
Reply 5
Original post by ajttm123
I started my access course when I was 18 and had offers from Newcastle, Northumbria, Nottingham Trent and Sheffield. They are widely recognised by universities and it's not true that they aren't valued as much as a levels! Go for it, doing an access course was one of the best decisions I've ever made!

I asked my local college and they said I couldn't do it cause of being 18 and some
'Government funding' business. What did you say to get a place?
Reply 6
Original post by mjrd
Check out the uni you want to go to, lots accept access courses. As from this yr, you can do an access at 16! I dnt feel ready for uni as im autistic and i am 18 and doing an access this yr.

I had asked my local college and they told me I couldn't due to my age and government funding. What would you advise I do?
Reply 7

Yeah I've heard so many access course success stories which makes me want to do it all that more. Just sucks with this age regulation like wtf?
As them to let you on.

Say you will soon turn 19, if your Bday is soon
Reply 9
Original post by Blackstarr
As them to let you on.

Say you will soon turn 19, if your Bday is soon

I tried that, no luck. Said I have to be 19 in September :/
Original post by a.h123
I tried that, no luck. Said I have to be 19 in September :/

Can you not appeal.

I don't see why you being 18 should be a problem.

Alternatively, why not do a level 3 BTEC if the appeal does not work out.
Original post by a.h123
I had asked my local college and they told me I couldn't due to my age and government funding. What would you advise I do?

Find another college

There are distance learning access courses.
Original post by a.h123
I asked my local college and they said I couldn't do it cause of being 18 and some
'Government funding' business. What did you say to get a place?

I live in an area where there are two different colleges and one of them said the same thing about government funding to me, however the one i went to were absolutely fine about it! try any other colleges in your surrounding area maybe?
I did an access source and I was 18. I had no problems applying to uni and got accepted to all my unis. Received my grades two weeks ago and even though my firm (uni of Kent) didn't accept me since i missed the offer grade reading wanted the same grades and still accepted me. By the way I only turned 19 at the end of the access course.
Original post by Hamo2509
As access courses aren't as agcademically rigorous as A Levels, universities only accept them alongside a significant amount of work experience.

I had no experience and still got into some good unis with the access course at 18
Original post by a.h123
I had asked my local college and they told me I couldn't due to my age and government funding. What would you advise I dou?

Do you live in London?
Original post by a.h123
With results day coming closer, I think more and more that I'm not going to get into my firm university so I was thinking about doing an access course. Has anyone ever got into an access course at 18?

I was friends with a girl who started an access course at 18.

Hey! I really want to do an Access course too. I was hoping to do Children's Nursing, but I want to do it online seeing though I can't just quit my job to go College. Do you have any suggestions where I can do it online?? If not, I don't mind doing BTEC L3 HSC. Again, I can't/don't know where to look for that course. Help?? :frown:
Reply 18
Original post by cucumberhater
Hey! I really want to do an Access course too. I was hoping to do Children's Nursing, but I want to do it online seeing though I can't just quit my job to go College. Do you have any suggestions where I can do it online?? If not, I don't mind doing BTEC L3 HSC. Again, I can't/don't know where to look for that course. Help?? :frown:

check this out maybe? im considering this part time course too
http://www.distancelearningcentre.com
Reply 19
Original post by gilberta
Do you live in London?

Nope :/

Latest