Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I applied for an an advanced learning loan to pay for my fees for when I go back to college in September, everything came back fine and I have had the paperwork confirming they will be paying my loan for some time now.

Today I missed a phone call from student finance and when I called them back they said they will be sending me a form to fill in as they need proof that I am not employed, my partner will also have to fill in part of the form to show he is providing me with financial support and that we don't get any benefits. I was really quite surprised by this as I thought national insurance numbers provided them with this information i.e. i'm not working or getting benefits, is this not the case? I have had a loan before so they have my national insurance number already.

Has anyone else had to prove their income to them and will this now hinder me getting help for September even though they have already said yes to this.

Any responses much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    This does seem a little odd - Advanced Learner Loans are mot means tested so your financial situation shouldn't be an issue.

I know it sounds silly, but are you sure you've filled in the correct application? The info you've been asked for sounds more relevant to university undergraduate Student Finance.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your reply, the letter i received approving my loan for september does state they are going to pay all the fees, so hopefully this will be the case. It baffles me as to why they are only asking for this now when they have never asked before but if they want proof then proof they shall have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    This does seem a little odd - Advanced Learner Loans are mot means tested so your financial situation shouldn't be an issue.

I know it sounds silly, but are you sure you've filled in the correct application? The info you've been asked for sounds more relevant to university undergraduate Student Finance.
    Yes I am certain I did, because I have had the loan approved and the advanced learning people have sent the letter out saying what i'm going to get which is all the fees paid. I am going to call them again tomorrow and get more clarification on it and find out if this missing information is going to put a hold on my loan or enrolment. Because i'm guessing that even though the loan itself is different to a university loan it all gets paid by the same people? so they could put a hold on it until I provide this proof to them, that's my fear anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.