Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK this may sound weird to alot of you lol,
    But what's the roads like around aberdeen, I am from the border's and traffic here is so calm I have no problem driving even in moderate city's like portsmouth/southampton but I wouldnt even attempt driving somewhere like London so will I be ok in Aberdeen?

ReputationRep:
    I'd love to see Southampton and Pompey's road network before asking that question KMaguire.

Put it this way, my mum's been driving for 3 years but has only been to the very edge of the city. Some of the traffic is horrendous during peak times - can be quite bad in a couple of spots.

For example, Hadogen roundabout (nightmare), Market St (nightmare).

I would honestly consider ditching the car and going for public transport. Aberdeen has a great transport network with the FirstBus system.

ReputationRep:
    First buses are terrible. They often fail to turn up as timetabled, they are a mess and the drivers attitudes stink. The other week a bus was 20 mins late, got on the bus and heard his boss on the radio saying just sit there for another 10 minutes until you miss out a complete run.

The roads are fairly crap. There are no motorways near Aberdeen but there are DCs. The roads in Aberdeen are small and poorly set out. Easy to drive in Aberdeen, but very slow moving. Parking is a nightmare too. I just don't bother driving to work, I get the bus.

Student bus tickets are nice and cheap though. Normal day ticket is £3.50, for a student it's £2.20. Weeky bus pass is £9 and a monthly one is about £32 (normally 50 summin pound).

Parking at uni is impossible. If you are in hillhead you are quicker walking to uni than trying to get parked. I only keep my car for going places outwith the city.

ReputationRep:
    Didna think buses were that bad but you're from Aberdeen whereas I'm from Peterhead so you'll know best.

Agree with nessy in many respects, once you're out of Aberdeen at either end it's a doddle but in many parts of the city you have to be quite patient when driving (aye, like that's easy)

Parking anywhere, let alone uni, ain't cheap so I would use the buses - I'm planning to but then again I haven't learnt to drive yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADM86)
    Didna think buses were that bad but you're from Aberdeen whereas I'm from Peterhead so you'll know best.

Agree with nessy in many respects, once you're out of Aberdeen at either end it's a doddle but in many parts of the city you have to be quite patient when driving (aye, like that's easy)

Parking anywhere, let alone uni, ain't cheap so I would use the buses - I'm planning to but then again I haven't learnt to drive yet.
    I'm fae the Broch! lol, just talking from the last year experience of living in Aberdeen and using the buses.

ReputationRep:
    The Broch, eh?

Well, dinna take his advice then, the puddlestinker. :p:

ReputationRep:
    To be honest I had very few bad experiences with First Bus and used them to get to Uni and work. There was only one occasion that stuck in my mind where I ended up being 40 minutes late for work due to the Number 5 going missing for over an hour!

ReputationRep:
    The buses can be erratic at times, especially if so much as a flake of snow falls but the rest of the time they aint too bad, there are some horror stories but 5 mins late is the worst of it on average.

Driving in the city is terrible though!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Classic, Theodore.)
    Don't expect to be able to park easily.
    Traffic is hideously slow moving all over the city.
    They are making a section of Union Street for pedestrians only in the next few years so the roads around the main streets are due to be improved. Time will tell.
    Luckily, most of Aberdeen is within reasonable walking distance of everywhere else in Aberdeen.
    Buses are buses - same everywhere.
    Thank Christ, I'm amazed they hadn't done that a long time ago. Although to be fair, the pedestrianised square bit at the east end of Union Street isn't exactly well utilised...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Libertin du Nord)
    Thank Christ, I'm amazed they hadn't done that a long time ago. Although to be fair, the pedestrianised square bit at the east end of Union Street isn't exactly well utilised...
    Can i assume you're talking about the Castlegate? Tis true, nice wee ****hole there.
    Pedestrianisng Union Street has been talked about for all of this century at least, only time it actually happens is when the christmas fair is in town and that's only at weekends. Does make a big difference though

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Castlegate, that's the one. It's odd, I think - after all, if you ask me, that area looks like a prime spot for development. You'd think they'd have thought of that first rather than extending the main shops so far up Union Street. A bit of demolition and you could connect it up to be road to the beach... and who the hell let them build that enormous ugly building right behind the Salvation Army one... or that ugly council HQ across from Marischal College.

But then again, this assumes that local council town planning departments aren't staffed by semi-retarded apes.

[/rant]

ReputationRep:
    I think you answer your own question there - council HQ would have got planning permission from the council lol. Not a lot can be done about that.
    Erm, where about is the Salvation Army building? I know it but just can't think at the moment.
    And i know what you mean, it's pretty rediculous that you can't get straight onto the beach boulevard from Union Street but then where would the tramps hang out? I'm sure if it was redeveloped it would be nice but as it is i don't like that bit of town, especially with the minks from the flats right beside it (I have no problem with minks or people living in flats, just those who try to rob and stab you).
    You seen rather familiar with the layout of Aberdeen city centre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmilerNuts)
    Erm, where about is the Salvation Army building? I know it but just can't think at the moment.
    I mean the Citadel thing - the fancy looking building at Castlegate.

You seen rather familiar with the layout of Aberdeen city centre?
    Well, I've only been twice in the last ten years! I must just absorb a lot.

Plus I can always check it up on Google Earth!

ReputationRep:
    Don't know if it's already been mentioned or not, but the council are looking to relocate their offices within Marischal College.

The council building will get torn down one way or the other in the not too distant future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ADM86)
    Don't know if it's already been mentioned or not, but the council are looking to relocate their offices within Marischal College.

The council building will get torn down one way or the other in the not too distant future.
    Yeah, I heard that - and the Uni are getting to keep the back wing of it for graduations, the museum etc.

Not a bad idea, I was in Marischal a while ago and it's looking a bit worn in places. Windows were in a bit of a state, that sort of thing - not to mention that they use the bloody quadrangle as a car park (which I think is an absolute scandal). So long as the uni keeps use of the nice bits.

Wonder what they'll build on the council offices site...

ReputationRep:
    I mean the Citadel thing - the fancy looking building at Castlegate.
    You mean the big thing at the back? Like at the beach end of the Castlegate?

Is there any space in Marischal for the council though? was in a few weeks back and all i could find was the uni and the museum, the rest of it has been sealed off cause it's too dangerous.

I hope they build a large, prosthetic phallus, would be far more sightful and would help teach the med students :p:
    Na, it'll probably sit dormant for a while till it gets badly vandalised enough that people start to complain

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SmilerNuts)
    Is there any space in Marischal for the council though? was in a few weeks back and all i could find was the uni and the museum, the rest of it has been sealed off cause it's too dangerous.
    Yeah, the Uni is keeping the wing at the back, the council seems to be getting the rest of it. I don't know if they've sealed it off or what, but there didn't seem to be much action in it.

They need to do something about it, it's an incredible building.

ReputationRep:
    The council have owned parts of Marischal College since long before I started uni there and the uni has owned the hall and museum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nessyfencer)
    The council have owned parts of Marischal College since long before I started uni there and the uni has owned the hall and museum.
    Oh, I didn't realise that at all.

... and to be 100% exact, I think they're only leasing them... albeit for a 140 year term or something like that.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I didn't realise that at all.

... and to be 100% exact, I think they're only leasing them... albeit for a 140 year term or something like that.
    Yeah, probably just leased. What I meant was, they are in there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 12, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.