Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am thinking of taking a gap year and reapplying for medicine next year.
    Would it be a good idea to do another qualification like an extra Advanced Higher to strengthen my academics (is this allowed for example) ?

ReputationRep:
    Why did you get no offers this year? Was it interview performance, UKCAT or something else. Id focus on getting good work experience and then improving upon your weaknesses

ReputationRep:
    You could do, but if you gained pretty solid A levels I wouldn't bother, instead id use the gap year to learn other skills or volunteering or a job which would be more useful and you'd gain more from. Really focus on aceing your UKCAT or BMAT if you wish to take that. Other than that why don't you work as a support worker, healthcare assistant, medical secretory, pharmacy dispenser, tutoring or volunteer with mental health charities, a care home or working with people with disabilities.
    use this year to mature as a person and maximise on the skills you'd require as a doctor , I think spending the time doing an extra academic qualification just wouldn't add a great deal of weight to your application
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by medicinehopefulx28)
    I am thinking of taking a gap year and reapplying for medicine next year.
    Would it be a good idea to do another qualification like an extra Advanced Higher to strengthen my academics (is this allowed for example) ?
    Hello

As written above, you should spend your gap year making your med school application as strong as possible. Have you found out why your didn't get any offers this year? If not, get in touch with the universities that you applied to and try to find out.

This will help you to identify any weaknesses and ensure that you know what areas of your application to boost over the course of this year.

We met a great student on The Student Room who turned 4 rejections into 4 offers after her gap year. She wrote us a fantastic blog on how she did it here:

How to go from 4 rejections to 4 offers

Hope you find it useful!

The Medic Portal

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.