Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm going alton towers tomorrow, and each time I go I always aim for something abit different, so I'd like some reviews.

I'm an absolute baby when it comes to theme parks, partly because I get travel sick on rides that after each one I need a 15 minute sit down before even considering the next. First time I went alton towers being a teen I was 13, and didn't attempt a single coaster. But I managed to extend that to Air, to which I loved, and then Thirteen.

I'm considering trying Nemesis tomorrow because we have tickets to get in early and that's always one of the early openers, so I'm considering it as there's going to be no queue, so less time to think. I've read elsewhere that similarly to air, it is a smooth ride which seems inviting as Thirteen made me feel absolutely terrifed with the one big jerky drop into the ride before entering the room. I don't even know why I went on Thirteen, the carriages were the most terrifying part.

So, is Nemesis more sickly than air? I heard you can sometimes bang yourself on the head rest next to you because of the intense speed, and I'm abit unnerved by that. I've watched the POVs of the ride to try and guage it, and although it's a really quick ride, it could be a little too intense for me.

So, what's your views of it?

Feeling like such a wimp here😂😂😂

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Alton Towers once, and managed to go on Nemesis while I was there (it was a really busy day so we only managed to get on 5 rides or so). I can't compare it to Air as I didn't go on that, but I honestly wouldn't go on Nemesis again. It didn't last very long, but it was very painful as I kept hitting my head on the restraint. To try and put it into perspective, if I had to choose between riding Nemesis and riding Oblivion, I'd pick Oblivion in a heartbeat (because at least that's over before you've got time to register what's happening!)

Sorry I can't be of much help, my visit was quite some time ago now

ReputationRep:
    Nemesis is my favourite - wouldn't say it's really any rougher than Air, just more varied and less bland.

fwiw Air has been rebranded galactica and you now wear a VR helmet - haven't been back since this happened.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xEmilyxx)
    I'm going alton towers tomorrow, and each time I go I always aim for something abit different, so I'd like some reviews.

I'm an absolute baby when it comes to theme parks, partly because I get travel sick on rides that after each one I need a 15 minute sit down before even considering the next. First time I went alton towers being a teen I was 13, and didn't attempt a single coaster. But I managed to extend that to Air, to which I loved, and then Thirteen.

I'm considering trying Nemesis tomorrow because we have tickets to get in early and that's always one of the early openers, so I'm considering it as there's going to be no queue, so less time to think. I've read elsewhere that similarly to air, it is a smooth ride which seems inviting as Thirteen made me feel absolutely terrifed with the one big jerky drop into the ride before entering the room. I don't even know why I went on Thirteen, the carriages were the most terrifying part.

So, is Nemesis more sickly than air? I heard you can sometimes bang yourself on the head rest next to you because of the intense speed, and I'm abit unnerved by that. I've watched the POVs of the ride to try and guage it, and although it's a really quick ride, it could be a little too intense for me.

So, what's your views of it?

Feeling like such a wimp here😂😂😂
    Nemesis is SUCH a mess. Like the ride will start slow (the traditional way of course) then go crazy, kinda like a fly. Haha! I went on Nemesis on a school trip and went on the Oblivion ride 5 times in a row and I was only in y7 at the time!! No, you can't "bang yourself". Atleast I never did. Tbh, I didn't like Nemesis. Although its a good ride. Air was amazing though. If I were you, I'd try out Nemesis and see how it goes. If you feel too scared then don't worry as there are many more rides. Just make sure you take sick tablets before you go on the rides and stay safe.

ReputationRep:
    I went on Rita as my first roller coaster and I don't think I'll ever go on it again. Terrified me.

Thirteen I am ok with, I love Air though. After much (much!) persuasion by friends I went on Nemesis last time, it looks rickety and unsafe tbh as you walk underneath it, and my harness kept coming undone (so I was terrified id drop out). Had my eyes shut almost all the way but really enjoyed it - id say if you can do air you can do nemesis. But then when I got off I was wobbly for about fifteen minutes and couldn't walk in a straight line because of the loop XD

So I'd say go for it overall anyway. Just avoid sonic spinball like it's the plague because with the worst one

ReputationRep:
    With nemesis you have o remember to keep your head back bc I didn't and I couldn't physically lift my head up straight on the ride. Nemesis is scarier than air but air is much more fun.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't stand the heat, don't go into the kitchen.

ReputationRep:
    Always push your head against the back of the seat so it doesn't rattle.
    Don't be scared of the rollercoasters, embrace them
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Nemesis leaves you feeling dizzier than Air - I've not been this year, so I don't know what effect the VR glasses have on it - but it is a better ride: like flying a low level jet. Given a good (very quiet) day to go, I often do it several times in a row.

Oblivion is scary the first time and 'was that it?' afterwards. Rita is... interesting.

ReputationRep:
    I would say Nemesis is more intense than Air/Galactica given the speed, meaning your head gets rattled around a bit...however it's probably most similar to Air out of all of the rides (hanging seats etc), doesn't drop down like Thirteen and as you say, is over quickly so you might enjoy it as much! Also, once you get over the initial acceleration, Rita isn't as intense as it might look so that might be another good one to go on before the queues!

Edit: I went on Galactica with the new VR goggles the other day and thought the graphics worked really well...you almost forget it's not real. It didn't make the ride itself any worse and didn't leave me dizzy at all.

ReputationRep:
    Mixed opinions it seems on Nemesis. I'll just see how I feel tomorrow and if not, I'll let my friend go on it with my brother instead

I'm probably riding Air without the VR tomorrow. I have to take my glasses off on rides anyway, so I might be blind when it comes to the VR. But hey, I'll try it.

Its interesting how several of you have mentioned Rita as being a first. I wouldn't even consider that a first try coaster, it seems intense. Not in terms of G force but rather speed, but when I waited for my friends to go on once they came off saying it's something you do once, then never again. Oblivion too seems mentioned quite a bit, I considered that more a thrill ride than a rollercoaster.

ReputationRep:
    Say goodbye to your legs m8

ReputationRep:
    Nemesis is soft

Try doing Oblivion 7 times in 25 minutes

ReputationRep:
    I've been to Alton Towers a few times, and I do not like rollercoasters, but was dragged along with friends anyway. My favourite ride is Nemesis Sub-Terra (I think that's how you spell it). I really recommend it. The first time I went in, I screamed a lot, but it was such a thrilling experience at the same time. If you like psychological stuff, then I really recommend it. We all ran out screaming the first time. But we went on it again a few times during our visits, as it is really fun. There is a small drop, but that's the only major thing that happens.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clucky_chick)
    I've been to Alton Towers a few times, and I do not like rollercoasters, but was dragged along with friends anyway. My favourite ride is Nemesis Sub-Terra (I think that's how you spell it). I really recommend it. The first time I went in, I screamed a lot, but it was such a thrilling experience at the same time. If you like psychological stuff, then I really recommend it. We all ran out screaming the first time. But we went on it again a few times during our visits, as it is really fun. There is a small drop, but that's the only major thing that happens.
    Been there done it. It's being shut down anyway. Its not even open.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.