Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello

I've had my eyes set on going straight into a masters after I finish my third year in 2017. I haven't began applying but have found a few courses which i'm interest in starting.

At this point in time i'm averaging a 56 in economic and social policy. My first year went pretty shocking as I got third and to be honest I wasn't remotely ready for uni and had issues with health. Would this be taken into consideration given I provide medical evidence?

So I'm fighting an uphill battle at the minute but i'm working towards finishing with at least 60-63%. If I apply to the likes of york/newcastle then I can imagine they will look at this and decline me. 56 to 63 is quite a big jump and 63 doesn't scream as a 'good upper second'. They will see first year modules scores (which count) that were barely passed. Is there much of a point in applying now? I'm looking at doing ppe/political economy so I can imagine there is competition to get a place.

I don't have a tutor of any sort who evaluates my progress. I won't be working with lecturers i've come across before next year, not that they knew me too well anyway because classes were large, so I would have to ask the most favourable of my new lecturers to prepare a reference based on a few months. Whilst this could work in my favour as I go out of my way to give an extra good impression my application would end up being quite late. After January.

Given my attainment thus far and the timeframe... would applying in the next few months be feasible? Should I just get final results and apply for the following year? Do universities have the same tuition fee hungry mentality in taking on postgrads that might work in my favour here?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaystewartbbk)
    At this point in time i'm averaging a 56 in economic and social policy. My first year went pretty shocking as I got third and to be honest I wasn't remotely ready for uni and had issues with health. Would this be taken into consideration given I provide medical evidence?
    I suspect that your target uni will expect you to have submitted evidence under your current uni's Extenuating Circumstances process. This would have ensured that either your marks were adjusted upwards or you were permitted uncapped resits/retakes. It would be worthwhile asking your two academic referees to mention your health issues and explain that these impacted your performance.

So I'm fighting an uphill battle at the minute but i'm working towards finishing with at least 60-63%. If I apply to the likes of york/newcastle then I can imagine they will look at this and decline me. 56 to 63 is quite a big jump and 63 doesn't scream as a 'good upper second'. They will see first year modules scores (which count) that were barely passed. Is there much of a point in applying now? I'm looking at doing ppe/political economy so I can imagine there is competition to get a place.
    Make sure that you're being realistic. 63% is a low 2:1. If you're going to struggle to get that, then setting your heart on unis which require a "good upper second" seems pointless. It might be worth exploring alternatives.

The key will be mustering two good academic references from your current uni. If you can find two people who think you can make the grade and who will sing your praises, that's probably what will count in your favour.

I don't have a tutor of any sort who evaluates my progress. I won't be working with lecturers i've come across before next year, not that they knew me too well anyway because classes were large, so I would have to ask the most favourable of my new lecturers to prepare a reference based on a few months. Whilst this could work in my favour as I go out of my way to give an extra good impression my application would end up being quite late. After January.
    The bottom line is that you will need those references. Your course leader should at least be able to comment on your ability compared to the rest of the cohort. January isn't hugely late - many courses accept applications up to the month before they start. Depends on the course/uni though. It would be worthwhile firing off some emails to Admissions Offices, asking whether there is an actual or effective deadline for applications to your preferred courses. At least by January you should have been working with a dissertation supervisor, so that gives you another potential referee.

Given my attainment thus far and the timeframe... would applying in the next few months be feasible?
    Tricky, given your track record. If you feel that you can muster two worthwhile references by waiting, then in my view it would be worth delaying. Lukewarm references can kill an application, especially when you already look a bit flabby on paper.

Should I just get final results and apply for the following year?
    it's certainly worth considering.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.