The Student Room Group

Should I join an Apprenticeship Programme? (Urgent)

It's been six months since I arrived UK and then self-studied and did A-levels as a private candidate. (Subjects: Physics, Maths and Further Maths). I would like to study Physics at University (I am thinking of applying to Oxford too) and my A levels did not turn out that well.

I would love to join an institution but I may not be able to due to financial reason. (Not because I have to pay for the tuition) I am 18 years old, so would still be funded from 16-19 funding source.

Background: Till now my single mother has been supporting me and my 10 yo brother. She is having hard time and I feel like I am burden to her. I don't want this to continue. I have applied for few jobs but haven't got any replies except for 2 apprenticeships.

Problems:
1) Apprenticeships are full time (Monday to Friday, 9-5:30) so I would have no time to go to an educational institution.
2) I don't have anyone to write reference supporting my university application. Educational reference would be great but still I am not sure if my apprenticeship provider would provide my application with an reference as I would have worked for just 1-2 weeks by then.
3) Apprenticeships have bad reputations in terms of payments.

Please give any suggestions, recommendations and tips on how to cope with such a situation.
Thanks in advance. Much appreciations.
1. If your A levels havent turned out well, then what makes you think you have a chance of getting into Oxford?
2. Talk to your mum. You could do an apprenticeship and go to Uni after. Many of them dont pay that much. maybe in that time you could have earned enough just to get your mum over a rough patch.
3. References can be gained from a variety fo sources. Someone who knows you preferably a professional. Dont think it has to be a teacher. If you are an asylum seeker or have some reason why you are only here six months then you could put that in your application and they would be more flexible. You could contact the instututions concerned and take their guidance. The apprenticeshup wont provide one on that short a time period.
4. Some apprenticeships are a ,lot better thna others in terms of pay and training.
5. Again talk to your mum and see what she wants. you could work now and go in a few years or try and get to Uni now in the hope you coudl get a better job later.
Original post by tangotangopapa2
It's been six months since I arrived UK and then self-studied and did A-levels as a private candidate. (Subjects: Physics, Maths and Further Maths). I would like to study Physics at University (I am thinking of applying to Oxford too) and my A levels did not turn out that well.

I would love to join an institution but I may not be able to due to financial reason. (Not because I have to pay for the tuition) I am 18 years old, so would still be funded from 16-19 funding source.

Background: Till now my single mother has been supporting me and my 10 yo brother. She is having hard time and I feel like I am burden to her. I don't want this to continue. I have applied for few jobs but haven't got any replies except for 2 apprenticeships.

Problems:
1) Apprenticeships are full time (Monday to Friday, 9-5:30) so I would have no time to go to an educational institution.
2) I don't have anyone to write reference supporting my university application. Educational reference would be great but still I am not sure if my apprenticeship provider would provide my application with an reference as I would have worked for just 1-2 weeks by then.

Please give any suggestions, recommendations and tips on how to cope with such a situation.

Apprenticeship = they make you work a lot for a ridiculous amount of money. It would even make more sense to do a proper part time job while going to school.
Where do you live? In case you live in London, I could get you into my old college. They would give you a nice reference. If your household income is below 21k a year, you'd get £15 a week from an educational institution, I know it's not that much, but still greater than 0. Try to advertise yourself as a private teacher on eg Gumtree.

Oxford will not care about your reference unless it states you're a mass murderer and beware or something like that :biggrin: Everyone will have a reference in which they are described as extremely clever, enthusiastic, etc.. the only thing that will distinguish you from the other 100s of applicants is being able to apply your knowledge in maths/physics.

Will you be able to apply for the tuition loan? I assume you're European maybe? Look I know you may think you're a burden, but if you won't get into a reasonable university, your future may not turn out to be what you want it to be. Be a bit selfish for the time being, and when you have an Oxford degree, I'm sure you'll be able to help your mother with a lot more money than with a part time job atm that won't pay you more than £5.3 an hour due to your age anyway.
Original post by lawlieto
Apprenticeship = they make you work a lot for a ridiculous amount of money. It would even make more sense to do a proper part time job while going to school.
Where do you live? In case you live in London, I could get you into my old college. They would give you a nice reference. If your household income is below 21k a year, you'd get £15 a week from an educational institution, I know it's not that much, but still greater than 0. Try to advertise yourself as a private teacher on eg Gumtree.

Oxford will not care about your reference unless it states you're a mass murderer and beware or something like that :biggrin: Everyone will have a reference in which they are described as extremely clever, enthusiastic, etc.. the only thing that will distinguish you from the other 100s of applicants is being able to apply your knowledge in maths/physics.

Will you be able to apply for the tuition loan? I assume you're European maybe? Look I know you may think you're a burden, but if you won't get into a reasonable university, your future may not turn out to be what you want it to be. Be a bit selfish for the time being, and when you have an Oxford degree, I'm sure you'll be able to help your mother with a lot more money than with a part time job atm that won't pay you more than £5.3 an hour due to your age anyway.

Thank you so much for the reply. Thanks a lot for the inspiration. Really appreciate it. You are very helpful.
I'm afraid I don't live in London. I live far from London and unless I get some kind of travel support I would be in trouble. Yes my household income is far below 21k a year.

Original post by 999tigger
1. If your A levels havent turned out well, then what makes you think you have a chance of getting into Oxford?
2. Talk to your mum. You could do an apprenticeship and go to Uni after. Many of them dont pay that much. maybe in that time you could have earned enough just to get your mum over a rough patch.
3. References can be gained from a variety fo sources. Someone who knows you preferably a professional. Dont think it has to be a teacher. If you are an asylum seeker or have some reason why you are only here six months then you could put that in your application and they would be more flexible. You could contact the instututions concerned and take their guidance. The apprenticeshup wont provide one on that short a time period.
4. Some apprenticeships are a ,lot better thna others in terms of pay and training.
5. Again talk to your mum and see what she wants. you could work now and go in a few years or try and get to Uni now in the hope you coudl get a better job later.

Thanks for the reply.

1. I self-taught all the contents of AS and A2 of Physics, Maths and Further Maths in less than four months. My exams (Further maths) didn't turn out well because of the volume of materials and lack of preparation time. Yes, it is my fault to take all the burden at once but I knew nothing about education system here and didn't know that one could apply after just having done AS levels. I thought you need full A levels qualification in hand before applying to a University. I am confident that I can achieve much more if I give some of the modules next year. I am very confident at Oxford Physics Aptitude(Admission) Test which makes me think that I might have chance at Oxford.

3. I am not an asylum seeker. I hold indefinite leave to remain(ILR).

Much appreciations.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you so much for the reply. Thanks a lot for the inspiration. Really appreciate it. You are very helpful.
I'm afraid I don't live in London. I live far from London and unless I get some kind of travel support I would be in trouble. Yes my household income is far below 21k a year.

No, I am not an European but will still be able to apply for the tuition and maintenance loan and other supports that one might get.

Thanks for the reply.

1. I self-taught all the contents of AS and A2 of Physics, Maths and Further Maths in less than four months. My exams (Further maths) didn't turn out well because of the volume of materials and lack of preparation time. Yes, it is my fault to take all the burden at once but I knew nothing about education system here and didn't know that one could apply after just having done AS levels. I thought you need full A levels qualification in hand before applying to a University. I am confident that I can achieve much more if I give some of the modules next year. I am very confident at Oxford Physics Aptitude(Admission) Test which makes me think that I might have chance at Oxford.

3. I am not an asylum seeker. I hold indefinite leave to remain(ILR).

Much appreciations.

How will you apply for the tuition loan if you haven't been living here for 3 years? Even though you have ILR, you have to have 3 years of residence at the start of the university academic year.
How will you apply for the tuition loan if you haven't been living here for 3 years? Even though you have ILR, you have to have 3 years of residence at the start of the university academic year.

Thanks for letting me know. I am sorry, I should have checked it before posting it.

I am not sure what should I do at the moment.

Thanks for all your supports.
Apprenticeship = they make you work a lot for a ridiculous amount of money.

I know right, 37 hours a week for £35k a year is crazy?!

Take a shop around before you rubbish apprenticeships.

OP: What are you interested in doing as a career? With your A -Levels, you'd probably qualify for a degree apprenticeship in Engineering
Original post by Donkey******
I know right, 37 hours a week for £35k a year is crazy?!

Take a shop around before you rubbish apprenticeships.

OP: What are you interested in doing as a career? With your A -Levels, you'd probably qualify for a degree apprenticeship in Engineering

I don't rubbish them, but even in London, in a LOT of colleges, you get something like £150 a week..

Problems:

What career do you want to get into??? I think the smart move would be to volunteer/get a job in the field you would want to work in as a career. Build up your CV, that way you can get a good reference (hopefully! :smile: ) and then go Uni. Your PS would look great if someone from Uni looked at it and saw that you have experience in the subject that you are going to study. If I were you, I'd definitley get a job. Even if it's an Apprenticeship. Uni will always be there for you. I'm 20 and this is my first 'proper job' (i've had 2 previous Summer/Temp jobs before). I'm doing an Apprenticeship in HR and Payroll. It's crap. But I'm still earning which I am very grateful for as there are thousands of people who will do anything for a job. Good luck!

p.s feel free to message me w any questions. :smile:
I don't rubbish them, but even in London, in a LOT of colleges, you get something like £150 a week..

how is "Apprenticeship = they make you work a lot for a ridiculous amount of money. It would even make more sense to do a proper part time job while going to school." not rubbishing them?

Fact is you can be on an apprenticeship earning more than a graduate, don't dismiss them as an option, they're now a very sensible route to a degree.
Within the first 3 years of mine, I'll have earned more than the average student debt, and by the end have a degree to show for it.
Original post by Donkey******

Original post by cucumberhater
What career do you want to get into??? I think the smart move would be to volunteer/get a job in the field you would want to work in as a career. Build up your CV, that way you can get a good reference (hopefully! :smile: ) and then go Uni. Your PS would look great if someone from Uni looked at it and saw that you have experience in the subject that you are going to study. If I were you, I'd definitley get a job. Even if it's an Apprenticeship. Uni will always be there for you. I'm 20 and this is my first 'proper job' (i've had 2 previous Summer/Temp jobs before). I'm doing an Apprenticeship in HR and Payroll. It's crap. But I'm still earning which I am very grateful for as there are thousands of people who will do anything for a job. Good luck! p.s feel free to message me w any questions. :smile:

Thank you for the reply. I am extremely interested in Physics. As a career, most probably research work.
(edited 7 years ago)
Thank you for the reply. I am extremely interested in Physics. As a career, most probably research work.

I think that's a route you'll need to pursue academically, rather than as an apprentice. If you go down the apprentice route, you'll likely be wanting to do a degree apprenticeship, but that will tie you in to a company for a while.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending