Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hiya, I got diagnosed with anorexia at the beginning of the holidays. I will be starting my second year of college in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anyone had any advice on how to cope with people staring at me as I have lost a lot of weight? or the bullying I may be given? In the past I have self harmed and I do not want to start again because of what I may receive when I go back to college. Any advice would be helpful. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean personal coping methods, or medical treatment?

ReputationRep:
    I think most of this is actually fear and self deprecation not actual bullying. Try to be a bit more optimistic and make eating a chore. Like homework... You might delay it and procrastinate till the last day but you will stay up all night to finish it.

I find trouble eating these days and it take me over 4 hours to finish a simple bowl of rice and other stuff. Not sure why.

Personal please?

Personal coping methods please?
    (Original post by tanyapotter)
    Do you mean personal coping methods, or medical treatment?

Okay thank you. I will try to be more optimistic.
    (Original post by Personinsertname)
    I think most of this is actually fear and self deprecation not actual bullying. Try to be a bit more optimistic and make eating a chore. Like homework... You might delay it and procrastinate till the last day but you will stay up all night to finish it.

I find trouble eating these days and it take me over 4 hours to finish a simple bowl of rice and other stuff. Not sure why.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay thank you. I will try to be more optimistic.
    Im not quite sure if you're being sarcastic. But nevertheless we need to know more about your condition and the people affecting you, are they mere bystanders or day-to day peers.

I am not being sarcastic. It is affecting my everyday life. The doctor said it is severe. It is affecting my relationship with some of my family. I don't see people too often anymore because of this, i am less confident at going out to see even my closest friends.
    Im not quite sure if you're being sarcastic. But nevertheless we need to know more about your condition and the people affecting you, are they mere bystanders or day-to day peers.

ReputationRep:
    Seek medical help first of all and personal support from family and friends no matter what. They will not simply laugh or leave you aside. Trust in them and ask for guidance. Someone like me with no relation to you what so ever can only help by reading what you've typed.

I do have medical help with a counsellor but that does not seem to be working and I have told her that. I am scared of telling some of my family and friends in case they did leave me and not want anything to do with me. I know that may sound silly but I am not as close with my family as others could be due to some problems. I will however take your advice and talk to some of them about it.
    Seek medical help first of all and personal support from family and friends no matter what. They will not simply laugh or leave you aside. Trust in them and ask for guidance. Someone like me with no relation to you what so ever can only help by reading what you've typed.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 9, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.