The Student Room Group

Student finance after deadline

Hi. It seems i'll be getting my fees after term starts. My school never told me the deadline for student finance was so early so I'm left to deal with all the problems. If the money comes after the first deadline for payment, will I be refunded the money once the loan gets through ? Any help would be appreciated
It's not your school's responsibility to make sure you apply for student finance on time.
Original post by Aubin97
Hi. It seems i'll be getting my fees after term starts. My school never told me the deadline for student finance was so early so I'm left to deal with all the problems. If the money comes after the first deadline for payment, will I be refunded the money once the loan gets through ? Any help would be appreciated

No....why would you be?

I'm not sure what you even mean by that.

As the user above said. It was your responsibility to know when to apply for student finance, not for the school to baby you through it and tell you when and what to do.
Reply 3
Original post by Aubin97

Student Finance pays your Tuition Fee Loan direct to the university. If your application is running late, you just need to let the uni know that your application is progressing. From what I've seen in the past, the uni won't start contacting you asking for direct payment of fees until towards the end of your first term (although every uni is different), which should give SF plenty of time to get things sorted.

Howver you will also be waiting for your Maintenance Loan. You will need to hav enough money to support yourself for a few weeks, just in case. That may include your rent, although uni-owned accommodation *might* be sympathetic about late SF.

You need to reapply for Student Finance every year, so keep your eye on it next year. Applications usually open around late January-late February. The last date for applications which would guarantee your money arrives as soon as you enrol, was 31st May this year.*
Reply 4
Original post by Klix88
Student Finance pays your Tuition Fee Loan direct to the university. If your application is running late, you just need to let the uni know that your application is progressing. From what I've seen in the past, the uni won't start contacting you asking for direct payment of fees until towards the end of your first term (although every uni is different), which should give SF plenty of time to get things sorted.

Howver you will also be waiting for your Maintenance Loan. You will need to hav enough money to support yourself for a few weeks, just in case. That may include your rent, although uni-owned accommodation *might* be sympathetic about late SF.

You need to reapply for Student Finance every year, so keep your eye on it next year. Applications usually open around late January-late February. The last date for applications which would guarantee your money arrives as soon as you enrol, was 31st May this year.*

Thank you for the reply ! As I am from France I don't get maintenance loan, which is one load off my shoulders.
Reply 5
Original post by SophieSmall
No....why would you be?

I'm not sure what you even mean by that.

As the user above said. It was your responsibility to know when to apply for student finance, not for the school to baby you through it and tell you when and what to do.

My point was that since the loan is 9000 pounds, and say I've already paid for the first term, would the extra money that would've been used for the first term just be taken back by Student Finance or instead given to me as the loan covers the entire academic year, therefore acting as a "refund"
Reply 6
Original post by Aubin97
My point was that since the loan is 9000 pounds, and say I've already paid for the first term, would the extra money that would've been used for the first term just be taken back by Student Finance or instead given to me as the loan covers the entire academic year, therefore acting as a "refund"

As above, your uni shouldn't seek direct payment of any fees from you for a few weeks, as long as you can prove that your SF application is progressing normally.

In any case, the SF money would still be paid direct to the uni - it would be the uni who owed you the "refund". Not that this situation would arise, of course.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending