Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Guys, Ive read a lot of similar threads but Im just really lost right now and don't know what to do. Ive been at uni for 2 years & haven't been able to enter or make a group friends let alone make any friends at all. I experienced some bad depression these past few months. Like I had surgery and had to take my exams late and not even sure if Ive passed. Before this I had no friends either and I just don't know what to do. I have been thinking pretty negatively lately and ive tried counselling.. Several sessions. It helped short term but now I can't cope with things when I see them. Im just writing whats on my mind right now and not sure if this makes sense.

What the hell do I do? I thought uni was the clean slate you can walk around and make friends but clearly no one seems to want to be mine. What am I doing wrong? I thought people find their wife here... What do I do... Even my studies have been messed up because of th surgery + recovery time.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by FluffyPanda95)
    Guys, Ive read a lot of similar threads but Im just really lost right now and don't know what to do. Ive been at uni for 2 years & haven't been able to enter or make a group friends let alone make any friends at all. I experienced some bad depression these past few months. Like I had surgery and had to take my exams late and not even sure if Ive passed. Before this I had no friends either and I just don't know what to do. I have been thinking pretty negatively lately and ive tried counselling.. Several sessions. It helped short term but now I can't cope with things when I see them. Im just writing whats on my mind right now and not sure if this makes sense.

What the hell do I do? I thought uni was the clean slate you can walk around and make friends but clearly no one seems to want to be mine. What am I doing wrong? I thought people find their wife here... What do I do... Even my studies have been messed up because of th surgery + recovery time.
    Have you seen anyone about your mental health specifically? I know how much physical health problems can make it worse, and everything generally just more complicated with the two together really. So your GP would be a good point of call, and your uni support services could help a lot too- less on the medical side and more how youcan cope with study and university life.

In terms of making friends, the new year could be a great time to join some societies and meet people with similar interests to you. If you can't think of any, try something new! Talk to your uni but it might be you're better taking a leave of absence or similar to focus on your health (physical and mental), or retaking the year or similar if they'd let you. It's worth an ask what your options are anyway, hope things improve for you a bit soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by furryface12)
    Have you seen anyone about your mental health specifically? I know how much physical health problems can make it worse, and everything generally just more complicated with the two together really. So your GP would be a good point of call, and your uni support services could help a lot too- less on the medical side and more how youcan cope with study and university life.

In terms of making friends, the new year could be a great time to join some societies and meet people with similar interests to you. If you can't think of any, try something new! Talk to your uni but it might be you're better taking a leave of absence or similar to focus on your health (physical and mental), or retaking the year or similar if they'd let you. It's worth an ask what your options are anyway, hope things improve for you a bit soon

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Im already 21 and trying to pass my first year. There have just been too many set backs. I want know how to be happy. I constantly compare myself to my first crush.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by FluffyPanda95)
    Im already 21 and trying to pass my first year. There have just been too many set backs. I want know how to be happy. I constantly compare myself to my first crush.
    It can be really difficult when you feel like you're behind everyone else but it's important to remember that no-one does things the same way, and as much as it may look like it on the face of it noone has it perfect either. Not saying I don't struggle with the same thing, I'll be 21 at least when I start uni and particularly this time of year when everyone else is moving on it's something I find really hard to deal with, but we'll get there in the end. I can't tell you how to be happy but I do have faith that you'll work it out one day!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 14, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.