Turn on thread page Beta

adsl cable extension watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    does anyone know where i could get an adsl line extension cable. ive tried dixons and pcworld online and they have crap all. I mean, to all you people with broadband, who has their comp withing 2m of their telephone wall sockets?? I need the extension lead to be something like at least 10m. At the moment im sitting on the floor kos there is nowhere else i can use the comp on the adsl line.

ReputationRep:
    Due to propogation delays a 10mb USB cable won't work unless its twisted. It will act as an arial picking up radio frequencies so would be useless.

I am assuimg you mean a telephone exension cable? Wilkinson's sell them, the pound shops also sell them and they are fine quality, try Ebay, I used to sell them on there for £2.50.

Also avoid PCWORD/Dixons like plague, they charge £15 for USB printer cable, they are 80p in the proper computer shops!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    Due to propogation delays a 10mb USB cable won't work unless its twisted. It will act as an arial picking up radio frequencies so would be useless.

I am assuimg you mean a telephone exension cable? Wilkinson's sell them, the pound shops also sell them and they are fine quality, try Ebay, I used to sell them on there for £2.50.

Also avoid PCWORD/Dixons like plague, they charge £15 for USB printer cable, they are 80p in the proper computer shops!
    sorry, i meant the cable between the adsl filter and the adsl modem, i have a very long telephone cable extension already, but apparently it is not recommended to connect the filter to the end of this cable and then connnect the modem from there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SasunD)
    sorry, i meant the cable between the adsl filter and the adsl modem, i have a very long telephone cable extension already, but apparently it is not recommended to connect the filter to the end of this cable and then connnect the modem from there.
    A standard modem extension cable should do the job then, have a look at www.microdirect.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    A standard modem extension cable should do the job then, have a look at www.microdirect.co.uk
    i checked on the site you mentioned, but they didn't have what im looking for. i don't think you can use a standard modem extension, because both ends of the cable i have at the moment are the same, and also the lip/clip part of the ends are underneath and not to the side like modem cables.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SasunD)
    i checked on the site you mentioned, but they didn't have what im looking for. i don't think you can use a standard modem extension, because both ends of the cable i have at the moment are the same, and also the lip/clip part of the ends are underneath and not to the side like modem cables.
    You basicaly have two male BT style plugs? Why not just plug an extension cable from the BT socket into the microfilter? Thats what I have done.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 15, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.