Petition: Should assisted suicide be legalised in the UK? Watch

This discussion is closed.
TeenRose29
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
Should assisted suicide be legalised in the UK?

Should assisted suicide be legalised in the UK?

So basically, it's in the title, currently assisted suicide is illegal in the UK but what is your opinion? Should it be legalised and why? And if it shouldn't then why not? Interested in your opinion?

Assisted suicide is the act of deliberately assisting or encouraging another person to kill themselves.

richpanda
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No, too much scope for it to be 'misused'
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Yes, I think it should be - obviously you'd need massive control over it, but it also helps give clarity and safe knowledge for those who go abroad with someone who's going to do it, that when they get back to the UK, they're not going to be arrested and face any possible legal proceedings.
TeenRose29
Rep:
?
(Original post by richpanda)
No, too much scope for it to be 'misused'
Oh okay, good argument 👍🏼
TeenRose29
Rep:
?
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Yes, I think it should be - obviously you'd need massive control over it, but it also helps give clarity and safe knowledge for those who go abroad with someone who's going to do it, that when they get back to the UK, they're not going to be arrested and face any possible legal proceedings.
I agree that it should be legalised and done under very strict conditions because if someone has a bad quality of life, is it our choice to allow them to suffer?
MrsSheldonCooper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This brought me back to when I read "Me before you". Never cried my eyes out in a while.

Anyway I think it should but they should be really strict with it.
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Reachin4TheStars)
I agree that it should be legalised and done under very strict conditions because if someone has a bad quality of life, is it our choice to allow them to suffer?
Precisely... and quite frankly, if someone was able to do stuff and wanted to die, then in most cases, they could probably make that happen. Why shouldn't those who aren't able to not have that choice...
TeenRose29
Rep:
?
(Original post by MrsSheldonCooper)
This brought me back to when I read "Me before you". Never cried my eyes out in a while.

Anyway I think it should but they should be really strict with it.
Lol ☺️ I can relate, well I think so 👍🏼
I agree because if the government doesn't be strict then it can be taken advantage of and it can be used against people.
clonedmemories
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
I struggle with this a lot. I have a condition that means I might well need/want to use assisted suicide services in the future. On a personal level, I believe that I should have complete autonomy to choose to end my life as and when I want to, to do so in a humane manner and to do so at a point where I still remain in control of my functioning and decision-making.

However, I recognise how easily such a law could be abused, and I also believe that if the possibility of it became a reality, it would be very easy to take advantage of people in vulnerable mental states or for selfish reasons. I believe that the only person who can make such a decision is the person who is suffering, and they can choose to stick it out just as much as they can to end their lives. Theoretically, I support the concept entirely, but the amount of safeguarding it would need to work in reality is huge.
the bear
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
no it would be open season on the vulnerable
TeenRose29
Rep:
?
(Original post by clonedmemories)
I struggle with this a lot. I have a condition that means I might well need/want to use assisted suicide services in the future. On a personal level, I believe that I should have complete autonomy to choose to end my life as and when I want to, to do so in a humane manner and to do so at a point where I still remain in control of my functioning and decision-making.

However, I recognise how easily such a law could be abused, and I also believe that if the possibility of it became a reality, it would be very easy to take advantage of people in vulnerable mental states or for selfish reasons. I believe that the only person who can make such a decision is the person who is suffering, and they can choose to stick it out just as much as they can to end their lives. Theoretically, I support the concept entirely, but the amount of safeguarding it would need to work in reality is huge.
Sorry to hear about your condition but I agree with both sides but under very strict conditions I would say that it should be legalised 👍🏼
Personinsertname
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Isn't there already assisted suicide?
It's called "Cutting the plug"
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Aye. I am in favour of assisted suicide because sadly there are some people who simply can't go on any more. Under the current laws, the only way they go die is by going to a country where legalised suicide exists, such as Switzerland, or committing suicide themselves whether that be throwing themselves off a cliff, in front of a train or by other means. It seems wrong that these are the only ways people can kill themselves so a more sensible and humane option needs to be on offer.

However, if assisted suicide is legalised, I would want there to be very tight regulations. I would only want to people to have assisted suicide when a highly comprehensive analysis has been carried out on them (ie do they have any relatives relying on them, is this the only possible option etc) and when all other techniques to help them have failed.

This petition is definitely a step in the right direction but I'd like to see the Government do more to promote charities which get depressed people's lives back on track. At the end of the day, assisted suicide should really only be the very last resort when everything else fails.
clonedmemories
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Sorry to hear about your condition but I agree with both sides but under very strict conditions I would say that it should be legalised 👍🏼
It's okay. I have relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis, so I might just have that for the rest of my life and have a pretty normal life span with a few blips every so often. It's if it becomes secondary progressive that I'll have a problem, but even then, the chances are I'll have a decent life quantity beforehand anyway! I simply have no desire to end up with no functioning in a wheelchair and relying on other people for my most basic needs. There's no joy in that kind of life, and I'd lose my ability to do almost everything that makes my life something fulfilling. I recognise that there are schools of thought or people who would say that that life still has value, but it has no value to me. And hey, it's my life!
umar39
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
The control over euthanasia is very high and it would be very difficult for people to legally exploit the system. For euthanasia to take place two doctors have to agree with the decision making it unlikely for an immoral or wrong action to be followed through
Quamquam123
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Personinsertname)
Isn't there already assisted suicide?
It's called "Cutting the plug"
It's really not a nice way to go though.
HAnwar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
No way that's basically murder.
Personinsertname
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Things are simply as they are.
One thing a mushishi master taught me.
To discuss morals would be to not discuss morals.
TeenRose29
Rep:
?
(Original post by HAnwar)
No way that's basically murder.
But it's the persons choice.
HAnwar
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
But it's the persons choice.
That doesn't make you any less of a murderer.
I'll be the first to bring religion into this- only God can give and take away life.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (126)
18.1%
It's just nice to be back! (192)
27.59%
Not great so far... (250)
35.92%
I want to drop out! (128)
18.39%

Watched Threads