Frankel2653
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I have completed an undergraduate course which has nothing to do with psychology but would like to chase a career in psychotherapy. Is this possible? Any idea what I would have to do to be able to get the qualifications. Also do people know if Open University diplomas and courses are regarded in the Psychology field?
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
what qualifications do you want?

you can train specifically as something like a IAPT worker, do a clinical psychology doctorate, counselling masters etc

find a level of course which works for you and look at what they require, you can usually do a conversion rather than a whole new degree

to do anything within a psychology field you have to have a decent amount of relevant work experience so think about that too
~Tara~
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Save yourself £20k of debt and find a professional diploma or equivalent in psychotherapy. You don't need a degree to be a therapist. I'm a qualified therapist and my highest education level is professional diploma.

You do your work experience as you learn because you can't volunteer as a counsellor until you are on a relevant course.
JamesManc
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To become a psychotherapist you do not need any qualifications
~Tara~
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To work ethically you do. It's also a gamble to take which could see you having your right to practice revoked even once properly qualified when full regulation is in place.

You can do very serious damage to someone without proper training.
_Sinnie_
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There are a range of careers available in the Psychology/therapy world which makes it quite hard to answer the question definitively. Do you know more specifically the type of job you would like? I'm not 100% on all the variations of therapist/counsellor jobs out there, but as I understand it there are a lot of options and not every course will qualify you for every job.

Becoming a chartered/registered Psychologist involves a Psychology degree (in your case, a conversion masters), some work experience and then a doctorate (i.e. DClinPsy) - some, like Forensic, require a specific masters also.

IAPT (Improving Access to Psychological Therapies) train and hire Psychology Wellbeing Practitioners (PWP) who are CBT therapists that deliver structured interventions for a range of anxiety and mood difficulties. You can progress from there to be a high intensity therapist with full CBT accreditation

You can become a CBT therapist in its own right (and possibly some other therapies). From here you can work in a private capacity, or there are some jobs out there that look for CBT trained therapists specifically. You can also do 'lower level' jobs and use these qualifications to give you a significant edge in applying and progressing.

Then there are a range of therapist jobs, I'm not even sure what is out there career wise. ~Tara~ may be able to fill you in on this better. My guess is this ranges from specific modalities of therapy/counselling (i.e. marriage) to school counselling services or general intervention work, such as with a Youth Offending Service or family service.

Once you know where your interests lie, you can then pick the appropriate education/training pathway.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (314)
56.07%
I don't have everything I need (246)
43.93%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed