The Student Room Group

Wesser

There have been a few threads on this in the past, but nobody seemed to really be sure about them. Who has worked for them, and did you actually make the sort of money they suggest that you will? Or is it a complete rip-off and you end up paying for accomodation?
Reply 1
I'm currently working for wesser and have been for roughly 5 weeks now.
its target based - so the more effort you put in the more money you get out ... in my first couple of weeks i worked about 40 hours a week and got paid £2 a hour (give or take a few pence). if you hit your targets you recieve a maximum of £260 for the week ... to do this you realistically need to put in 55+ hours a week - which works out at below minimum wage?
the amount of hours u need to put in walking the street will depend on how good u are at the job. to be good a the job u shouldnt feel bad about making others feel guilty enough to give to charity. this is the way the job works, if an old person answers the door you tell them about heart attack survival rates & how u can improve this, if a young person answers you tell them about how children are at risk and how u can help them. take a guess at what the person you are talking to is going to care about and play on it; this is how wesser works, they attrack students by offering them thousands of pounds - although there is NO job security, the money you will make will be hard earnt and less than what you thought you were going to get.
however, if you feel you would not have a problem with the kind of tactics they use (and expect u to use), your fine working long & late days - weekends more so - in all weather conditions. & you'd like to earn enough to live off & make mone for charities, then this company is for you.
in my breif experience, i've not had the accomadation fee wavied (nor has any of the people i've been working with). the people i started the job with have all since handed their notice in, having recieved very little money for the amount of hours they've worked.
BUT there are people who make this job work for them, and people who earn alot of money doing the job.
i would describe the job as low end. i've worked as a labourer, in telesales & as a barman ... this job is a level below them all.
having said all this, i'm still in the job (maybe just cause i'm determined - maybe cause i'm still be taken for a ride) and i plan to continue in it for the rest of the summer. having worked so hard for so little, i want to work that little bit harder and get as much money as i can from them.
also, its important to know, this job is not very safe. theres not many nutters out there but when you knocking on every door in a city, chances are your going to meet them. you are not protected by wesser in anyway - you are self-employed - so if your sick cause you've been working in the rain or u twist your ankle or anything like this, your just not going to get paided.
if this sounds like a job for you - please come join me... i'm getting lonley, everyone keeps leaving.
Reply 2
I think I'll wait on the McDonald's application I submitted. If I get really desperate, I'll think about it again.
Reply 3
That sounds quite grim, Is dialogue direct better? i think it is, and accommodation is paid, reaching above the target the wages increases 30% then 50% etc. I dont know about Wesser but DD sounds better, and ive talked to afew people about it.
Reply 4
I dunno...maybe that's just your personal experience, but I had my interview with Wesser and I got the impression that if u work for it, you can easily hit the targets. They said people got an average of 30 sign-ups a week, which was over the minimum targets and got u the accom. fee waived. Maybe that's just their propaganda...i dunno.
Reply 5
if u've got the job u'll learn quickly that most, if not all your told in the interview is false ... i tollerated this job through the summer - i cant imagin what it would be like doing it at this time of year. in the freezing cold and the dark! but dont worry if u have taken the job, as you'll soon be told by everyone u'll work with - if you have a great mental attitude about it, you will do well!
good luck
Reply 6
Nice 4 month bump...
Reply 7
I ended up working for dialogue direct and got dismissed after 2 and a half weeks, but thats because i think i wasnt a confident and motivated enough a person to folow it through. I did not hit my argets in the slightest howver i still got paid 260 a week and 130 for the half weel which was awesome considering i met the most awesome people who are now my friends and got to live with them. the first week i was in Wales which was cool, we stayed in this cute cottage in the middle of nowhere, the travelling from place to place in the car wasnt boring because we just chatted, listend to extremely loud music taking in the beautiful mountain views. It was tough because when i felt like i was getting close they would still not sign up, and i lost motivation. Plus i got distracted with talking to my team mates lol. \when i did get a sign up it was a pretty amazing feeling and just listening to people talk about their views/lives was enlightening.

It wasn't for me in the end, and i felt like i was being useless to the company but they paid me no matter what! It was a very memorable few weeks that i wont forget. I recommend it to anyone!
Reply 8
I start work with Wesser on Sunday, so I shall let you know how it goes.
lol the adverts are always all over the student job sites. I would recommend cobra group before wesser cobra was such a laugh i was making an average of 300 - 350 a week with them, my best ever was 590. any cobra group employees on here>?
Reply 10
Ok, well I got back yesterday from Wesser. It was great. The stuff Dylanwad was saying isn't really true...well, I didn't hear about any of that anyway. In the first two weeks you cannot earn less than £190 a week, that's a set wage even if u sign up absolutely nobody. After the first 2 weeks you don't have to put in 40 hours a week, and to hit the targets it isn't even necessary. It's really laid back, u do what u want to do. If u hit the target you're aiming for on Thursday, u can take the rest of the week off if u want. I had a right laugh with my team, and I think I'll do it again.
Reply 11
ben7b7, could you provide more detail of your experience please? Im thinking of applying. How much did you earn and over how many weeks? Did you have to pay for your own food, etc. thanks
lol with 30 posts and a last post over a month ago i'll give it an unlikely out of ten that he'l reply. try a google search :smile:
Ben7b7
Ok, well I got back yesterday from Wesser. It was great. The stuff Dylanwad was saying isn't really true...well, I didn't hear about any of that anyway. In the first two weeks you cannot earn less than £190 a week, that's a set wage even if u sign up absolutely nobody. After the first 2 weeks you don't have to put in 40 hours a week, and to hit the targets it isn't even necessary. It's really laid back, u do what u want to do. If u hit the target you're aiming for on Thursday, u can take the rest of the week off if u want. I had a right laugh with my team, and I think I'll do it again.

How's it going now?
Reply 14
bobbington
ben7b7, could you provide more detail of your experience please? Im thinking of applying. How much did you earn and over how many weeks? Did you have to pay for your own food, etc. thanks

Ok, I know this is a very late reply! haha! But hopefully I can help

Basically you are living in a (really nice!) house with the rest of your team. You are more or less self-employed, so you have to pay for your own food etc. I have now worked for Wesser 3 times, each time for around 4 or 5 weeks to raise some money before Uni.

If I'm honest, the job isn't for everyone...some people only stay for a couple of weeks, but if you put the effort in, you can get out of it what you want.

Weather can play a big role I found, if you're having a bad day and it's raining...the last thing you want to do is psych yourself up for another couple of streets before the end of the day. That said...I found some people a lot more generous if they saw you were walking the streets in the rain to raise money for charity.

Personally, I would recommend this job. It's not like you have to keep doing it if you don't like it, but there's not much harm in giving it a chance. I can't remember exactly how much I was earning...but to begin with, it wasn't a great deal. After around the 3rd week (when I hit my target) I started to pick it up and earn quite a bit.

Hope this is of some use...
Reply 15
Hi,

Just thought I'd give my input:

I've worked for Wesser for a total of 3 months over the last 2 years. I love the job and am surprised there's so much negativity on these threads. The job isn't for everyone, and I'm guessing that the people who have been really critical on here probably got fired?

I have always been treated well with Wesser, everyone in the company is really friendly and supportive, and I have earnt a lot more than I thought I would. I am glad I applied for the job when I did, it meant I could fund travelling round Africa.

An as for guilt tripping people into signing up; they fundraise for a really well known and respected charity, most people on the doors are happy to sign up, the skill comes in persuading them to give their bank details and assuring them that it is safe (which it is). I have always had a team leader in my team that help when there's any problems. There is a high turn over of people, but most of those are people with bad social skills. Wesser is a far more ethical company than others like DD or Cobra, who I have also worked for in the past. Would definately recommend this job if you're an outgoing sort of person.
I have a interview this Thursday what questions will they asked if anything so then I know

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending