Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I have never known what I've wanted to do in terms of uni or even if uni was for me at all! But in the past few months I really think I've worked out what I want to do in life and I know that I want to take german as far as I can and my dream is to now go to Cambridge University.

So now I'm in the process of doing extra reading and writing my personal statement and I've read examples of personal statements for german and I've seen that a lot of people have been able to say that they've done exchanges and done the uniq programme for german and lots of things they've been involved in to show extra interest. However due to house size I was not able to do the exchange although I really wanted to and since I wasn't even sure that university was for me, I also haven't done any taster classes or applied for programmes for german and now it's too late.

My problem is that german is my greatest passion and my spend my whole life speaking and thinking in german so the interest is definitely there but I feel like I have no way to prove this on my personal statement. In September I will be running german society in my college and I am planning to organise a talk with a professor as part of that, however by that point I would have had to have written and submitted my personal statement so that it can be checked (my college has separate deadlines).

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do for my personal statement to show and prove how interested I am and how much I love the subject? Or know of any programmes to do with German or languages that I can take part in in year 13?

If anyone has any recommendations for extra reading for german or any areas of culture for the Italian side I'd also really appreciate it!

Thanks,
    Hannah

ReputationRep:
    I'll be applying to Cambridge in a years time for French and another language which I have yet to decide on. If you can afford it you could do the Halsbury work experience programme, I'm doing it for French this year and there's a German one too. http://www.workexperienceabroad.co.uk/ There are also competitions such as the Oxford German Olympiad, although these take place later in the school year so I'm not too sure if you could mention them on your personal statement. And there's also a programme called Euroscola, where you experience the european parliment and use your language(s), but I don't know if that will still be operating because of Brexit. But yeah starting up your own society does look very impressive and definetly shows your passion for the subject and as well as reading books or watching movies in the languages you could also read about other topics such as history and also linguistics, if that interests you. Even more simple stuff like getting a pen pal or helping out at school open evenings, also helps to show your passion.
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by H4nn4h_R)
    Hey!

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can do for my personal statement to show and prove how interested I am and how much I love the subject? Or know of any programmes to do with German or languages that I can take part in in year 13?

Thanks,
    Hannah
    READ. There's no need to find hoops to jump through just to impress us, reading is sufficient. We don't expect work experience for MML or anything like that. Obviously exchanges, summer schools or time spent abroad is great but we understand that not everyone has the opportunity. We really want people who have read around and explored their subject outside of school and who can really articulate why they're passionate about languages and literature!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ___Sophie___)
    I'll be applying to Cambridge in a years time for French and another language which I have yet to decide on. If you can afford it you could do the Halsbury work experience programme, I'm doing it for French this year and there's a German one too. http://www.workexperienceabroad.co.uk/ There are also competitions such as the Oxford German Olympiad, although these take place later in the school year so I'm not too sure if you could mention them on your personal statement. And there's also a programme called Euroscola, where you experience the european parliment and use your language(s), but I don't know if that will still be operating because of Brexit. But yeah starting up your own society does look very impressive and definetly shows your passion for the subject and as well as reading books or watching movies in the languages you could also read about other topics such as history and also linguistics, if that interests you. Even more simple stuff like getting a pen pal or helping out at school open evenings, also helps to show your passion.
    Thank you I'll have a look!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Peterhouse Admissions)
    READ. There's no need to find hoops to jump through just to impress us, reading is sufficient. We don't expect work experience for MML or anything like that. Obviously exchanges, summer schools or time spent abroad is great but we understand that not everyone has the opportunity. We really want people who have read around and explored their subject outside of school and who can really articulate why they're passionate about languages and literature!
    Ah that's great, thank you!

Just another quick question- I will apply to do German and Italian at Cambridge but for some of my other university choices I will only be applying for german so how do I incorporate the Italian element into the personal statement?
    •  Official Rep

ReputationRep:
     Official Rep
    (Original post by H4nn4h_R)
    Ah that's great, thank you!

Just another quick question- I will apply to do German and Italian at Cambridge but for some of my other university choices I will only be applying for german so how do I incorporate the Italian element into the personal statement?
    This is the kind of thing you would use the optional extra PS on the SAQ for. It's perfectly fine for your UCAS PS to just address your passion for German and you can tell us about why you're interested in Italian on the SAQ.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.