Meat Tenderizer

Watch
hezzlington
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Anybody have any experiences with using meat tenderizer? Does it really make that much of a difference? (I understand the science behind how it works, but I'm particularly interested in using something like this - deeper marinade penetration etc)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Kuuk-Profes...eat+tenderizor

Thoughts?
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by hezzlington)
Anybody have any experiences with using meat tenderizer? Does it really make that much of a difference? (I understand the science behind how it works, but I'm particularly interested in using something like this - deeper marinade penetration etc)

Thoughts?
Looks a little unnecessary to be honest... I just use the mallet type thing which you can pick up from a cook shop for a few pounds... Gives you a bit of a workout as well... If you're doing lots of meat at once though, I guess it could be alright
Kendrik Lamar
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
ihatePE
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thoughts?
Please never say 'deeper marinade penetration'
Tanqueray91
  • Study Helper
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jamestg)
Maybe that's what really happened in the latest MHoC crisis? :dontknow:
jamestg
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by mobbsy91)
Maybe that's what really happened in the latest MHoC crisis? :dontknow:
It wouldn't surprise me...
jamesthehustler
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thoughts?
I have one similar as I'm a big steak eater and it really does show in the final result
you can make rump taste like filet and filet is out of this world after using this
hezzlington
Rep:
?
(Original post by jamesthehustler)
I have one similar as I'm a big steak eater and it really does show in the final result
you can make rump taste like filet and filet is out of this world after using this
Thanks. I ended up buying one. It's arrived but I haven't had a chance to use it. How do you recommend using it? Spike both sides or is one side enough? How long for?
jamesthehustler
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks. I ended up buying one. It's arrived but I haven't had a chance to use it. How do you recommend using it? Spike both sides or is one side enough? How long for?
one side is fine otherwise you can find it falls apart when you turn it
I can do a 10oz rump in about 30 seconds but I'd advise being slower at first to get used to it
i cut myself several times on it early on
hezzlington
Rep:
?
one side is fine otherwise you can find it falls apart when you turn it
I can do a 10oz rump in about 30 seconds but I'd advise being slower at first to get used to it
i cut myself several times on it early on
Other than steak? What else can I use this on? I'd like to use it on chicken breast so I can apply some marinades. Does it only work on whole cuts like steak/chicken thigh or would it work on for example, strips of beef for a stirfry (precut unfortunately )
jamesthehustler
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Other than steak? What else can I use this on? I'd like to use it on chicken breast so I can apply some marinades. Does it only work on whole cuts like steak/chicken thigh or would it work on for example, strips of beef for a stirfry (precut unfortunately )
I've bought one for chicken breast (still in the mail at the moment) as after a few weeks steak every couple of days just go boring
I'd think it would only work on whole cuts but it could be worth trying it on smaller stuff
Spoiler:
Show
the best chicken marinades personally are really simple like a butter lemon or seasoned oil
milliemogs
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You don't use a tenderiser to make a rump taste like a fillet, you use it to improve the texture of a rump. Rumps have far more flavour than a fillet ever will due to the fat content.
jamesthehustler
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by milliemogs)
You don't use a tenderiser to make a rump taste like a fillet, you use it to improve the texture of a rump. Rumps have far more flavour than a fillet ever will due to the fat content.
I was keeping it simple as I hate using this keyboard but you are right in truth the tenderised rump will have the texture of a fillet and tenderized fillet is out of this world
milliemogs
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I was keeping it simple as I hate using this keyboard but you are right in truth the tenderised rump will have the texture of a fillet and tenderized fillet is out of this world
A tenderised fillet will be only marginally different from a none tenderised fillet. Tenderising breaks down collagen and tough fibres, a good fillet will contain a minuscule amount of these, rendering tenderising virtually pointless. If you're fillet is that much better after tenderising then you are being sold extremely poor quality meat that has not been reared, butchered and hung correctly.
jamesthehustler
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A tenderised fillet will be only marginally different from a none tenderised fillet. Tenderising breaks down collagen and tough fibres, a good fillet will contain a minuscule amount of these, rendering tenderising virtually pointless. If you're fillet is that much better after tenderising then you are being sold extremely poor quality meat that has not been reared, butchered and hung correctly.
how do you think I buy it at £20 a kilo rather than the £30-35 it should cost
milliemogs
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
how do you think I buy it at £20 a kilo rather than the £30-35 it should cost
A tenderised poor quality fillet will still not be as good as a naturally tender high quality fillet. Tenderising isn't that effective. The same as any cut, no matter how much you tenderised it will not have the texture of a good fillet. A lot of decent butchers will sell nearer £25 per kg these days as prices have gone down a lot in the last few years. It seems like you're being mugged off by whoever you buy from.
It's****ingWOODY
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by jamestg)
I don't think it possible to use the word 'penetration' in a sentence without it automatically becoming steeped in innuendo.
jamesthehustler
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A tenderised poor quality fillet will still not be as good as a naturally tender high quality fillet. Tenderising isn't that effective. The same as any cut, no matter how much you tenderised it will not have the texture of a good fillet. A lot of decent butchers will sell nearer £25 per kg these days as prices have gone down a lot in the last few years. It seems like you're being mugged off by whoever you buy from.
it depends on where you based as around here is £34 on average so my guy does a good deal
that's how you stay rich is to make sacrifices personally to grow the business (the merc, watches and designer clothes are marks for success)
milliemogs
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
it depends on where you based as around here is £34 on average so my guy does a good deal
that's how you stay rich is to make sacrifices personally to grow the business (the merc, watches and designer clothes are marks for success)
It defeats the point of buying fillet though. If you aren't going to pay for good quality fillet you might as well spend what you are paying on a good sirloin or ribeye, that way you can tenderise if it you're after the better texture and it will taste significantly better as it has so much more flavour.

It's not a good deal if it's poor quality.
If you are earning that much, £15 extra for some fillet steaks isn't something that requires sacrificing.
jamesthehustler
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It defeats the point of buying fillet though. If you aren't going to pay for good quality fillet you might as well spend what you are paying on a good sirloin or ribeye, that way you can tenderise if it you're after the better texture and it will taste significantly better as it has so much more flavour.

It's not a good deal if it's poor quality.
If you are earning that much, £15 extra for some fillet steaks isn't something that requires sacrificing.
it is when you need to be making £600,000 a month in a couple of decades
invest as much in bullion on possible
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (256)
56.89%
I don't have everything I need (194)
43.11%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed