Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey.

I really want to make some more friends as mine seem too busy all the time to see me. I've joined the gym but don't really know how to strike up a conversation with someone. It may seem a bit weird if I start smiling at other girls in the gym. I don't want them to think i'm trying to come onto them or something you know?

So any ideas how I can start up a convo or make some friends somehow?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    When you're in the changing room just stare at someone as they're getting dressed until they make eye contact, then walk slowly towards them and say "Do you want to be friends?"

Nah, I'm kidding. Don't do that.

How about you join a club? Does the gym do yoga classes or something? The gym itself isn't a great place to meet people - it's a place you go to get stuff done not to sit and chat.

ReputationRep:
    i like meeting new people I find the easiest way is to strike up a point, as in a gym, there's usually TV's with something on, if someone's next to me, i'll say "hasn't this been on like a million times before?" and laugh a bit, the majority of the time it works

Don't be too upfront and "in your face", but try and work on something both you and they are doing. OR just come on here loads of people to meet.

ReputationRep:
    Its so easy striking conversations in gyms but the hardest part is without a doubt making the jump "so do you want to go out tonight?". I'd find it pretty wierd if someone came up to me and said that especially as I dont know them, so the best thing is to probably join some kind of nice clubs or something.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    You made a thread on this before http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...37#post8579837

ReputationRep:
    Oh yea so I did. Lol. I forgot about that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moh_of_sssmallnessss)
    Its so easy striking conversations in gyms but the hardest part is without a doubt making the jump "so do you want to go out tonight?". I'd find it pretty wierd if someone came up to me and said that especially as I dont know them, so the best thing is to probably join some kind of nice clubs or something.
    I think if their demeanour wasn't really weird, I would think it was really interesting that someone said that, as it happens so infrequently.

Don't know though, don't think it has ever happened to me haha.

On a vaguely related note, a friend of mine was telling me last night about a cousin of his who was evidently totally and utterly bonkers, when he was at Oxford he would go up to random people in the street and bite their knees, just to see their reaction! Maybe you could give that a try? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i find it hard to make new friends too, which is weird because i know a lot of people...i jsut don't really hang around with many of them.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2007
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.