Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically I moved into my step dads about 3 years ago now. He has two children, one in which I really cannot get my head around.
    I suffer with anxiety and depression and living with his son is really affecting me. I have had issues with him in the past but my step dad always gets in the neck from his ex wife.

Let's build a portfolio on him.

He's 28
    Uni student
    Showers once a week
    Wears the same clothing day in and day out
    Picks his head and feet.
    Stays up all night playing games in the living room.
    Doesn't clean.
    Eats other people's food
    Has loads of money
    Doesn't work

You get the jist. The hygiene is a major issue to me. I have a issue with germs and get very nervous. On occasions I have caught him with his hand in his pants. He then touches my dog.
    I have spoke to my family about it and nobody seems to do anything.

It's getting to the point that I'm really uncomfortable and I hate it when he's around. I feel nervous, watched, sick. You name it!
    What can you suggest? Help
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by Tiny_dancerx)
    So basically I moved into my step dads about 3 years ago now. He has two children, one in which I really cannot get my head around.
    I suffer with anxiety and depression and living with his son is really affecting me. I have had issues with him in the past but my step dad always gets in the neck from his ex wife.

Let's build a portfolio on him.

He's 28
    Uni student
    Showers once a week
    Wears the same clothing day in and day out
    Picks his head and feet.
    Stays up all night playing games in the living room.
    Doesn't clean.
    Eats other people's food
    Has loads of money
    Doesn't work

You get the jist. The hygiene is a major issue to me. I have a issue with germs and get very nervous. On occasions I have caught him with his hand in his pants. He then touches my dog.
    I have spoke to my family about it and nobody seems to do anything.

It's getting to the point that I'm really uncomfortable and I hate it when he's around. I feel nervous, watched, sick. You name it!
    What can you suggest? Help
    Try and have a sit-down talk with your family about it. Don't just mention things as they happen. Sit down and calmly explain how uncomfortable certain actions of his are making you feel. His personal hygiene habits, unfortunately, aren't exactly any of your business. Your family should be concerned about his lack of personal hygiene though. As for stealing food, not chipping in with cleaning etc, that's something you should mention, definitely. It's not fair on you, really. Unfortunately, this is what you get sometimes when you live with other people. My brother, although younger, was terrible for those things but that's just how it was. Him being 28 though, you might be able to have a quick word with him. Be nice though, and be sure to not be condescending or you won't get anywhere with him. The dog thing, definitely bring up. He shouldn't be laying around with his hand in his trousers in front of people anyway. That's gross and impolite, and he should stop doing that. Next time he does it, you could just say 'hey, can you not take your hand from your pants to touch my dog please?' and see how that works out. I'm sorry you're in such a difficult situation right now. I hope it gets better

ReputationRep:
    You can try and talk to him but there's not much you can do about his hygeine standards, doing housework is up to your dad to enforce

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.