Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i'm finally getting the hang of this website!!! Anyway...... I changed my university choice from Medicine to Mathematics now. I've done this because I realised that I did have have the required grade for GCSE (I needed a grade B for english lang. but I got a grade C, the universities I want to go to will not accept retakes and I would only qualify if I take up AS english!)

So now I'm going for a mathematical career but I don't know much about it, Please recommend some good maths/financial career for me to research on.

I heard of actuary but heard it's extremely boring... But I am interested in maths career due to the money, can someone help me!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    I heard of actuary but heard it's extremely boring... But I am interested in maths career due to the money, can someone help me!!!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!!
    I am told that being an actuary is one of the best paid job with least working stress.

Working in the financial sector may enable you to earn more, but meanwhile you have to be prepared to work under great pressure
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    said it before and I'll say it again

http://www.gchq.gov.uk/recruitment/careers/math_us.html

ReputationRep:
    Engineering

ReputationRep:
    Sorry 'Pencil Queen' I have looked at the website but didn't find much help. And I've finally got the hang of how to use this website so I thought I might as well give it a second shot.

ReputationRep:
    Actuaries are people who do all the caculations being insurance and pension. having done maths at uni I studied to be an actuary and stopped because it was indeed boring.

Not only that but the days of actuaries are counted. With all the changes ot pensions, and people moving to less complex arrangements there will not only be a smaller need for actuaries but they will also be doing more boring work.

There are not many careers that are purely mathematical but it can open a lot of doors. Your best best is to ally maths with business studies and you are on a winner.

Alternatively you can strat training as an accountant. Just as boring as actuaries but it opens a lot of doors in the business.

Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    You could be a maths teacher, very much in demand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiseman)
    Actuaries are people who do all the caculations being insurance and pension. having done maths at uni I studied to be an actuary and stopped because it was indeed boring.

Not only that but the days of actuaries are counted. With all the changes ot pensions, and people moving to less complex arrangements there will not only be a smaller need for actuaries but they will also be doing more boring work.

There are not many careers that are purely mathematical but it can open a lot of doors. Your best best is to ally maths with business studies and you are on a winner.

Alternatively you can strat training as an accountant. Just as boring as actuaries but it opens a lot of doors in the business.

Hope this helps
    the life and pensions business isn't going to expand much, but nor will it contract as they will always need actuaries to examine their business - you think any other professions would have a better approach? either way, this is the more 'boring' bit of the profession

the general insurance and banking sectors, on the other hand, are growing at a high rate and this work tends to be much more interesting

I can't think of a job in the city with the same low levels of stress and high remuneration - however, some of them will be boring jobs, but others will be more interesting especially the consultancies where you work with several clients each day

finally, there are plenty of actuaries working in non-actuarial jobs as they are widely recognised to have some of the best technical skills in the city - its not all looking at death rates!

main drawback is the exams - they are difficult, and can be boring - however, it is possible to pass them in 3 years to get straight to a salary of £55k+

ReputationRep:
    Who said acturial work was not stressful? Over 90% of those who start studying it never go to the end of it. Why? 1 - it's hard, 2 - it's demanding, 3 - it's stressful. Long hours, demanding clients and only big money for the few who get there. I know moew actuaries who gave up than stayed in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiseman)
    Who said acturial work was not stressful? Over 90% of those who start studying it never go to the end of it. Why? 1 - it's hard, 2 - it's demanding, 3 - it's stressful. Long hours, demanding clients and only big money for the few who get there. I know moew actuaries who gave up than stayed in.
    hmm, your comments don't really tally with experience - most actuaries work 8 hour days, as opposed to 12+ hours for a lot of other jobs in the city

maybe you should examine job satisfaction tables the world over where you'll see actuary in the top 3 every time

if people can't cope with the 'stress' of being an actuary, then quite simply they're not good enough - maybe that's a point I should make, you have to be very good to be able to get moving in this profession

ReputationRep:
    Thank you all for your comments. I've decided to study mathematics with economics, or maybe mathematics with computer science. I'm really quite worried about what i'm going to do and if it leads to a bright future. What are you doing at the moment wiseman since you've quit actuary?

I've always heard that there is a demand for people with maths degrees but every now and again there's people who says that the days are numbered for people with maths careers. What do you guys think?

Please keep posting your opinions, thank you all very much.

ReputationRep:
    Why not Engineering?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil Queen)
    said it before and I'll say it again

http://www.gchq.gov.uk/recruitment/careers/math_us.html
    *squeals* yes please.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fishpaste)
    *squeals* yes please.
    Engineering!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Engineering!
    You know I would, but I'd rather be an international spy

ReputationRep:
    You know I would, but I'd rather be an international spy
    How about an international engineering spy! You could make your own special gizmos!

Q + Bond = Fishpaste 007

ReputationRep:
    *squeals* yes please.
    I'd like to do that!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    How about an international engineering spy! You could make your own special gizmos!

Q + Bond = Fishpaste 007
    I suck with those things. I'm like the most clumsy person ever. I'd probably drop it in my juice or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MRLX69)
    I've always heard that there is a demand for people with maths degrees but every now and again there's people who says that the days are numbered for people with maths careers.
    days numbered for those with maths careers? absolute *******s

the whole country revolves around finance now, so there's no chance of demand for these maths people dropping - they can also work in other sectors as maths isn't simply adding up, it includes stuff like physics
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    *squeals* yes please.
    Yeah I know - if only I hadn't been so poor at maths A level

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.