Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    ok i've been given the task of sorting out the internet, tv and phone for my student house in september.

the three for £30 deal looked pretty good and i had pretty much decided on signing up to that...however recently I've read a lot of negative comments about it and so before i launch into a 12 month contract - can people who have first hand experience of it please tell me their experiences.

and i don't mean little annoyances like having to wait on hold for 30 mins to talk to an advisor or whatever, (lets face it thats pretty much the norm with many services/companies like this) or people that used to have ntl and are unhappy they no longer have sky one.

thanks - would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    We just have internet from Virgin Media, but we've never had any issues with it. When you phone up to get it, don't pay the full price! They will move a LONG way from the prices they first ask.
    Our 20mbit connection is supposed to be £37 a month, we get it for £18.50.

ReputationRep:
    cool, also is this wireless and do they provide a router or anything??

thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't like Virgin's TV service but their net connection is pretty good.

(Original post by zillysteph)
    cool, also is this wireless and do they provide a router or anything??

thanks
    Very few home internet connections are actually wireless, they usually just mean they give you a wireless router with it. Virgin doesn't, but they aren't very expensive, so it's easy enough to buy one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PieMaster)
    We just have internet from Virgin Media, but we've never had any issues with it. When you phone up to get it, don't pay the full price! They will move a LONG way from the prices they first ask.
    Our 20mbit connection is supposed to be £37 a month, we get it for £18.50.

what do u mean by dont pay the full price , did u haggle or something ? and if u did how the hell do u haggle a set price , u must have an indian mothers gene in you

ReputationRep:
    you can try haggling for deals, but its usually more powerful after a year when you are about to leave.

ReputationRep:
    dude how the hell do u haggle on fixed prices ??? , they be like that will be £17.00 a month , and i just no ???? what the hell ??? someone explain , coz i am like zillysteph

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by david cool)
    what do u mean by dont pay the full price , did u haggle or something ? and if u did how the hell do u haggle a set price
    Theres no such thing as a set price

We paid full price for a whopping 1 month before phoning up and demanding to pay less. Just mention the S word (Sky) and they'll start to move, on other forums people have been able to the same package down to ~£15 a month.

You get a cable modem form them, but not a router. But, thats better than getting a free one like the BT Homehub which generally suck. If you know anyone technically monded, but a Linksys WRT54GL and flash dd-wrt on to it.
    If not, any cable/ethernet router form a big brand (except Belkin) will do well.

ReputationRep:
    what exactly should i say ? , that sky is cheaper and i'll just move to them because ntl is not giving a good service and that there expensive , "unless , u could cheapen the price down" ???

ReputationRep:
    i am surprised they budged when you were only 1 month into a years contract piemaster

ReputationRep:
    We've been with Telewest (and now Virgin) for years .. like 5 or so .. maybe we should try haggling ...

ReputationRep:
    hmm i take ur word for it and try to haggle .

ReputationRep:
    ill get my dad to haggle! We pay way to much for ours!

I looked at the virgin package, and it didnt look that good, what you get for 30 quid a month, it didnt include unlimited broadband, which if its a student house with a few of you sharing it is advisable to get.
    I think we are going to go with sky. Our landlady said she will pay the line rental (as you have to have a bt line for phonecalls) and what we will pay is 25.

ReputationRep:
    If you're getting 20Mb for £15 a month that's a real bargain! Especially when it's cable. Dam! I'll try that when our contract expires.

ps. It's still not as fast as this granny's connection; 40Gb/s

ReputationRep:
    i dont like virgin media, i set it up for a friend and he needed a Cisco router on a network, can't say way as i signed an NDA (Non Disclosure Act)

it wouldn't connect so i phoned them up and they really went to town on me... they said it was illegal, urm no its because we have more control over the line than they want us to have

like uncap the line speed, always a favourite breach of the telecoms act but i dont know any people under 18 who have read it :rolleyes:

also i was with Virgins ADSL service, worked well for about 15 months, we moved house, then the trouble started, the line wouldn't work and they said it was my equipment which i wasn't because i set the server and modem up
    on my friends connection and it worked fine!!

they continued to faf about so we cancelled it, they were not happy :rolleyes:

I am now on Eclipse Evolution Broadband

got the option of static or dynamic ip addresses
    8MB Service
    more or less unlimited downloads
    and its £14.99 a month

and the technical support people are not morons They actually knew what DNS and DHCP Pool mean't unlike some ISP's....

i suppose virgin are ok when it works but when it doesn't the technical support is an 090 number which is ridiculous (sp?) and most of the time the call is scripted and they dont have a clue what your talking about...

HTH

ReputationRep:
    well there's going to be 8 of us sharing it - do people not think 20mb will be enough? to be honest I dont know a great lot about these things. also, i heard a lot of these 'unlimited' broadband deals are anything but unlimited?

i mean for £30 surely 20mb is pretty good (bearing in mind this includes the telephone line and the tv) ?

are people really thinking sky's the better option? it just seems like hassle, having to pay extra for the BT line, having to get a sky dish installed on the house somewhere and i haven't heard great things about the internet service either...

ReputationRep:
    Virgin's service is unlimited in the sense that they will never cut you off or charge you extra for going over the limit. However if you download over a certain amount during a certain time of the day they will halve your speed for a couple of hours. I imagine Sky's "unlimited" usage policy is a lot more restrictive.

As for speed, 20Mb is quite a lot. Should be plenty for 8 people.

ReputationRep:
    right another spanner has been thrown into the works.

basically, typed in the postcode of my house into the Virgin website, and its apparently not in a cable area. they say i can still get it but it will come through the telephone line??? what does this mean???

is the quality totally compromised, and does this mean that if anyone is on the internet no one can receive incoming calls or make any outgoing ones?

cheers, any help will be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    The internet will be Virgin ADSL in that case. Just the same as any other broadband service that comes through the telephone line (i.e. AOL, BT Broadband, Tiscali etc) so you'll still be able to use the phone normally when the internet is connected (acheived by using a small, cheap filter that plugs in to the master socket)

It also means that whereas the cable services are fixed rate, the ADSL speed will vary depending on the quality/length of the telephone line.

Check here to see what other services you can get.

ReputationRep:
    Well from what I understand their ADSL is quite separate from their cable services. I suggest looking around for the best deal.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.