Cheap Holidays Watch

Kater Murr
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
My friends and I are panning a trip for the summer of 2008, before we all part for university.

Currently looking at Croatia, and other European countries, after deciding Jamaica might be a tad expensive, I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions as regards cheap holidays?

I live in Hull, so 1) I could take the ferry to Amsterdam or Zeebrugge for about 60 quid... 2) Airports nearby are rather crap (Humberside doesn't offer a lot) and I'd like to stick to the North, like flights from Manchester.

Ideally, we'd like someplace with a mix of city and beach... I'd like to go to a city, see some culture, museums, etc. whereas a few of my friends want a beach, and sun...

Any ideas?
la fille danse
  • CV Helper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Barcelona.. mix of city and beach
Geerththanan
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Barcelona is a good suggestion...

My mates and I jetted off to Alicante last year...got a villa for ourself...cheap flights...coz we booked around February....and it was a wicked trip...
mdr
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I just came back from Amsterdam. Stayed for 4 nights and 5 days and alltogether it cost about £320 per person (including flights and accomodation and food) which I think is rather cheap. I don't think there are any beaches there though, unless they have any of those city beach things which aren't real! There are loads of museums within walking distance of eachother though.
eDDeboo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Croatia, you got it in one.

Absolutely phenomenal place.

Currently trying to go back there.. looking for last minute deal for 2 weeks in August.
Go to South-Dalmatia too.. most picturesque part with clearest water.
Findthecar
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I found the 2 easiest ways to get a cheap holiday are:
1) Find the cheapest flights possible to anywhere and then match up cheap accom. (If there aren't many of you go for hostels/ little hotels, if you're in a big group then appartments can be cheaper) If you can fly from Leeds you can use Jet2.com's low fare finder
2) Book a last second package deal! It might be risky but you can get a lot more for your money if you are willing to choose a destination a few weeks in advance and get told where you are staying when you get there.

Oh, and as Peter Kay would say, try teletext holidays!

AND I don't know how cheap it is to get there o what it is like, but Bulgaria is apparently the new cheapest destination in Europe
stevesb52
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Ibiza. You can get really cheap last minute deals now. The prices are only a little bit cheaper than the UK, but the atmosphere in San Antonio's brilliant.

Also, try lastminute.com - they have some good deals.
Niaya
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
cheap package deals are good - my family go away to spain for a week in feb - under £170 and thats all inclusive on a last minute deal
villas/gites in france and spain are really cheap and good for lots of people if you take a car over on the ferry
malibulucy
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Croatia is amazing- if you get the chance to go there then definately reccomend it would love to go back!
Also me and my sis have just been away to zante for a week 250 pp. It was self catering but the apartments were absolutely gorgeous-felt 5*. We were in tsilivi which is quite a busy resort but on the outskirts so it was a bit quieter.
We booked through broadway travel (need to google it but would imagine it www.broadwaytravel.co.uk) and they had quite a few cheap places.
Am going to ibiza for 4 days in aug and its costing me more than the week in zante did!
Also i dont know if this would be up your street but try the camping places such as canvas, thompson alfresco holidaybreak etc etc you can often find cheap deals with them if you book late on and they have mobile homes as well as tents (tho waking up in a tent in croatia is still one of my fondest memories) also if you find somewhere you like look to see if they have campgrounds as they will often have bungalows etc
oh and one other suggestion is italy-try the jesolo area you can camp cheaply and also it is a hours boat ride to venice and hour on the train to verona.

xx
r4e1988
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm going to Bulgaria with some mates later this year. You can get some really cheap deals on it (cost us about £300 half board for the week in a "party" hotel). And it's about 30p a pint over there apparently- which is always good to know!!!

And a mate of mine from work went to Lithuania a while back, said it was even cheaper.

In conclusion :p: Eastern Europe- particularly the old Soviet Bloc is the "up and coming holiday destination" for Brits who want a Spain-esque holiday without the Anglicised prices. I have been told though, that the Scandinavians and Germans have been going there for a while, so be prepared to get up early for a sunbed
r4e1988
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Also mate, i don't know what kind of holiday you're after. But places like Club 18-30/Escapades/2wentys/[the one Thomson run] will be taking bookings about now for next summer. You'll get a cheaper deal for Summer 2008 if you book whilst it's still 2007. We made the mistake of leaving it too late, and paid about an extra 100 quid for the same holiday!

EDIT-
Haha, whereas if i'd read your post fully, i'd know what kind of holiday you're after. This may only be of interest to the "beach" part of your group. Sorry- the companies i listed above are all 18-30 style companies (it's what my friends and I have gone with), but most travel companies will be taking bookings now for summer '08.
shammy
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Barcelona, beach and city are good.
ukebert
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Barcelona is nice, lots of stuff to do and a spectacular musical instrument emporium. Budapest is also really nice, and apparently Serbia is up and coming. Not my fault if you get shot though.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

I LOVE a Black Friday deal (526)
46.92%
Nah, Black Friday is pointless (348)
31.04%
I don't have an opinion (247)
22.03%

Watched Threads